PDA

View Full Version : Fans need for track only

GJB
12-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Any reason to keep the fans on for tack use only? Only time they would serve any cooling benefit would be at race start or pulling into pits. Anyone know if the AMA guys used fans or not?

TIA

Doosh
12-04-2015, 02:04 PM
In the 1125r era, most of us ran the Flexi-glass kit eliminating the fans and pods in favor of a forced-air-during-riding, 100% passive approach. It shed a lot of weight and helped the bike run cooler, too!

In the pits you need to have a fan as even coasting into the paddock after a race on a warm day would run the temps up really high and it would start to spit coolant.

I have debated fans on the RX. Right now I have them in place, and don't have a plan to pull them, but occasionally ask myself exactly this question...

GJB
12-04-2015, 03:45 PM
Thanks, I will leave them in too. Dont need to deal with overheating in the pits

Mike
12-07-2015, 10:06 PM
I used to help a guy running a Yamaha, FZR1000 here in SoCal.

He ran without a fan, those older fans were a bit on the porky side, but even though, to me better to be safe. even though he ran an over-sized radiator, there was more than one time the radiator cap was spitting during the summer months...not good when the next qualifier or race is in 15 minutes..!

I'f were mine, I would have found a smaller/lighter fan...and run it.

Mike