PDA

View Full Version : 1190 de noid with race ECU- result ?

yzf29
11-28-2015, 07:49 PM
Is loss of 3 pounds of solenoid apparatus

NO other issues?

THANKS

Doosh
11-29-2015, 08:37 AM
More or less, correct.

yzf29
11-29-2015, 11:34 AM
^Thanks^

So what might be more, and what might be less? Just don't want any issues I am not accounting for.

Bike starts and runs fine- throttle pick up is "lighter" feeling without pulling the extra cable for the solenoid. No check engine light, nothing.

Mike
11-29-2015, 12:22 PM
YZF -

Did you tie the linkage together at the rear throttle body ?
This needs to be done if you don't want the rear butterfly "fluttering" when the throttle is opened hard at mid to higher rpm's.

Mike

yzf29
11-29-2015, 12:24 PM
I did not-

I shall do so!

Thanks!

Safety wired it for laffs

AKA Marco
11-29-2015, 01:30 PM
i have just de solenoid my SX, + race ecm and tips.... no issues... i have not tied the linkage as some say, but because if it wasn't an issue when solenoid, i don't see how it could be an issue when de solenoid....

bike got much better, less engine braking, smoother engine overall, which makes it easier to ride on my book ... have you changed the gearing at all? i have gone up to 44 on the rear sprocket and find it much better, might also go up to 46...

yzf29
11-29-2015, 02:12 PM
Thanks for chiming in AKA Marco. Good feedback. Gearing is stock. Definitely want to try different gearing . ...

Doosh
11-29-2015, 07:43 PM
This needs to be done if you don't want the rear butterfly "fluttering" when the throttle is opened hard at mid to higher rpm's.

This was always rumored to be a problem, but I've never *known* it to be an actual issue.

Mike
11-29-2015, 08:07 PM
AKA -

All you have to do is open the "throttle" and then twist the two linkages...you'll see, they WILL separate when the spring pressure is overcome.
I had it happen on my CR.
But then again, if you don't "feel" it doesn't happen right..?

As for not happening "with" the solenoid connected comment.
OF COURSE NOT...the solenoid controlled that..! It DID...happen with the solenoid connected, that's what it was designed to do. The solenoid controlled the amount of change and kept it from fluttering.
As far as I know, it was an EPA thing related to noise. I never heard anything else. It closed that huge rear butterfly a little to keep the intake noise down a little. True...maybe, maybe not, but it's there for something.

To my way of thinking, better to have things as controlled as possible, but that's just me.

Your bike..!

Mike

Doosh
11-29-2015, 08:41 PM
The 'noid can't push -- it was cable drawn. The advice to tie these together certainly can't hurt anything. It's actually less likely to happen with the 'noid gone than present, as I see the mechanicals working. The noid was an all-or-nothing thing, btw. There was no variable control happening. And, it closed both throttle bodies, not just the rear one.

Having seen several Buell-prepared race bikes from the 1125r era and never seeing the butterflys tied, I'm really not sure it's necessary.

AKA Marco
11-30-2015, 02:17 AM
i see it like Doosh..... by understanding how the solenoid works,i made my own decision....For sure the securing the linkage won't heart, but not necessary in my opinion, and for sure i wouldn't be happy to have an exterior body either metal or plastic within my airbox....

Mike
11-30-2015, 02:26 AM
AKA -

Sorry, but you don't seem to get it..!
The "return" spring isn't strong enough to eliminate all rear butterfly movement during hard, mid to high rpm full throttle.

But you are free to abide by "your..." understanding...your engine..!

Mike

zviadi
11-30-2015, 04:31 AM
Here I also wrote that there is no sense to put zip-ties or wire - both valves are opened and closed synchronously:

http://ebrforum.com/showthread.php?301-1190-RX-denoid&p=4270&viewfull=1#post4270

Both valves open at 100%. Inspected visually and telemetry data TPS on dash.

Doosh
11-30-2015, 08:11 AM
The "return" spring isn't strong enough to eliminate all rear butterfly movement during hard, mid to high rpm full throttle.

No, but my throttle hand is, and that keeps the throttle from closing. If at mid-throttle air pressure were drawing the butterfly valves open, one would very much notice it as surging. For all practical purposes the front and rear butterfly valves are physically/mechanically synchronized, so this concern of separate action between the cylinders you describe just doesn't happen. And, if such an action could happen, it would happen whether you tied off the 'noid pull point or not.

Go pop open the airbox and take a look in there and get familiar with how it works. It's incredibly similar to the 1125r era -- more or less the same throttle body design spare the injectors.

But you are free to abide by "your..." understanding...your engine..!

Given that it's correct, I will ;)

There's no downside as I see it to tying them off, though... so go for it.

Mike
11-30-2015, 08:53 PM
Hey like I said...your bikes...
But ANY...loose (not solidly connected..!) linkage, like these engines have..are there for a purpose, to separate.
Head over to around a 2009 time frame on the Bad Web and take a look at the same situation.

Again, do as you please on your bikes.
NO loose throttle body linkage on my engine..!

This is pretty funny. Like on an automotive board I frequent. A gut asked about running alcohol thru Carter carburetors on his blown engine.
Several...people told him it can't be done. The passage walls are not thick enough to open to the correct size. He asked again, "But can I run alcohol thru my Carter carburetors ?"

I wrote back, "you can ask as many times as you like, it CANNOT be done, and continued asking isn't going to change that. Even the Holley is marginal for this situation."
I received several "like" comments..!

This linkage thing reminds my of that..!

I see no use in arguing with the uninitiated. If I were racing, I'd look else ware for pit help.

I'm out.

Mike

Doosh
12-01-2015, 08:21 AM
Head over to around a 2009 time frame on the Bad Web and take a look at the same situation.

Very familiar with it. It was the same issue as we are discussing now. Won't help... but won't hurt, either. I've had probably 6 of the 1125R bikes in my personal ownership over the years, maybe helped prep another 5 or so. I mean, I'm no total expert on the platform, but not exactly a noob, either.

I see no use in arguing with the uninitiated. If I were racing, I'd look else ware for pit help.

But you aren't racing.

If you don't like what you hear, maybe moving along to a group that will tell you what you want to hear is the right answer?

btw -- a number of us DO race. And, have significant race experience on these bikes at the club level. Some even a few professional races.

It's OK, Mike. Sorry we hurt your feelings.

Mike
12-01-2015, 10:43 PM
Sorry but I have "raced". I have tuned and I have helped fellow racers over the many years around more forms of motorsports than JUST bikes. Spent over two years helping a fellow bike racer. Even kept "him" from doing something equally as dumb as this conversation. He thanked me after all was said and done.

And hurt MY feelings..! Ain't my equipment, I really don't care. Actually...I just feel sorry for the people that don't get it, don't understand, and have no seeming desire to learn..!

Plain fact is, loose linkage is, LOOSE LINKAGE. And so the half-assed tune goes..!

Mike

P.s - From another "experienced" Buell/EBR owner -
http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/713493/774403.html?1448981772

Doosh
12-02-2015, 08:04 AM
Ahh, yes. Zach...

Very nice guy. Used to work parts at an HD dealership and make a lot of our lives a ton easier by helping us identify part numbers and good deals on stuff that tended to break or crash out.. God bless him, really.

Was a notable hyper-miler on his 1125r through much of the 2008-2009 era. I guess you could call him a racer if seeing how far one can go on a tank of gas is a kind of racing. He would get close to 40mpg out of his 1125r if I recall -- it was nothing short of amazing considering I think I get something like 18 or 19 out of mine. Ran his tires at 42 PSI, gently eased the clutch at starts, even killed the motor at lights. Had a few stator issues, too, like a lot of the low-rpm riders.

I really, really, really do encourage you to spend some time beneath the airbox cover and just playing with the linkages and seeing how all that works. Even if you don't change your mind on this subject, you will have better understanding of the bike. It's time well spent.

AKA Marco
12-02-2015, 03:29 PM
i dont race, and i too take advise from forums and friends on matters that i am ignorant about, but i always 'question' the advise and try to understand myself....
as said before, it won't hurt but not necessary