PDA

View Full Version : Air filter question

Mike
11-25-2015, 10:48 PM
I haven't tried yet, but am I correct in that the air filter is cleanable, much like the K&N ?

Surprised how dirty is.
My S1000r BMW went two full years of the same trip/miles to and from without needing a filter. As I recall, when I was driving my 1125CR, it didn't need but every two years and then it was still a sorta needs..!?

Mike

buell-fan
11-25-2015, 11:44 PM
If the filter material is the same as what the K&N filters are made of then they can be serviced like a K&N with a special wash and oiling.

zviadi
11-26-2015, 01:42 AM
I was cleaning the filter through the first 3500 km, then after 2500 km, then after 2000 km (about once every 2-3 weeks). Even after such small milleage, the filter was clogged and the whole insect.
After the seventh maintenance metal mesh is torn, filter should be changed.
Very unfortunate location of the air filter on this bike - it is not covered, and it gets the road dirt and insects.

zviadi
11-26-2015, 01:53 AM
1125 have different design of Ram-Air and airbox, so the air filter can be serviced frequently. But still: every two years - this is very rare.
Perhaps you have a very clean roads and roadsides...

zviadi
11-26-2015, 01:57 AM
And yet - in my 1190 when dirty air filter at high revs the oil from the crankcase breather began to suck in airbox. This is another reason to maintain the air filter frequently.

Mike
11-26-2015, 12:56 PM
buell-fan -
"IF"... that's my question..! A proper answer would be one with exact knowledge.

zviadi -
Thanks, that what I was looking for.
Looks like I'll be keeping a closer eye on it. I've only had the bike since March. So...maybe like you say, every coupla months or so. All of the "stuff" on mine is from the outside in. The airbox tray is pretty clean.

Mike

zviadi
11-26-2015, 02:50 PM
So...maybe like you say, every coupla months or so. All of the "stuff" on mine is from the outside in.

No, Mike, not every once in 2-3 months - once in 2-3 weeks! And the inside of airbox mine is clean - because air filter still works.

Perhaps in USA or Europe have clean roads (without dust and sand) and frequently inspect the filter is not necessary… but in Russia for 15300 km, that I rode EBR, I inspected mine air filter seven times. And seven times he was so dirty, as if his roll in the mud on both sides.
I did the first time encountered such a phenomenon - no one my bike was not like this!
In addition to sucking oil from the crankcase ventilation, with dirty air filter I feel a great loss of engine power.

Mike
11-27-2015, 02:36 AM
After looking into this, these filters are similar to the rest of the gauze filter manufacturers.
So...a good cleaning, reoiling is in order. Interesting thing is, I could not find anything about cleaning them in the Owners Manual or the Repair Manual. Not very nice of the "manufacturer" to leave this crucial information out of the Owners Manual..!

Mike

zviadi
11-27-2015, 02:58 AM
Your air filter is clean? I can only envy)))

For cleaning you can use special cleaning liquid K&N, which comes complete with their filter oil.
However from my experience, if filter very dirty, this liquid can not help.
So I just use dishwashing liquid ("Fairy", for example) or loundry (!) soap under a gentle stream of warm water. After washing the filter on both sides should be burgundy. Then he gave filter dry, then soaked it with oil K&N. Air filter can't be dried over on fire or on a battery - only naturally in the air.

If you wrap the oiled air filter in a towel and put in a plastic bag - after a while it will change its shape, and you can not insert it in airbox. I got this when served in the first maintence. We had to wait half an hour, until he took a normal form.

11-27-2015, 09:39 AM
"Interesting thing is, I could not find anything about cleaning them in the Owners Manual or the Repair Manual. Not very nice of the "manufacturer" to leave this crucial information out of the Owners Manual..!"

I found it in my copy of the Owners Manual. I'll admit that it wasn't as easy to find as it should have been, but it is in there...

Mike
11-27-2015, 02:04 PM
Thanks 1313...missed that.

It seems that I should have cleaned it three times by now..! And it shows..!

Interesting though...I'd NEVER even think about changing the oil with a dirty oil filter as noted in the above chart.

Mike

zviadi
11-27-2015, 02:33 PM
IMHO - very long service intervals from air filter in manual... So rare to maintain the air filter does not allow me my sense))
Other motorcycles manual says, that the use of the sports service intervals should be reduced by 2 times. I ride aggressively and changing the engine oil every 5000 km.
EBR manual states:

I decrease maintenance intervals in half, as it did in the previous motorcycles.

Mike
11-27-2015, 08:17 PM
Had to look up "km" to "miles"..!

Yea, I've always used 3000 to 3500 miles for oil AND filter changes also.
Now I need to remember to clean the air filter too...

Mike

AKA Marco
11-27-2015, 10:21 PM
the air filter on the EBR is a K&N right??

buell-fan
11-27-2015, 10:54 PM

It appears that it is made with the same type of material as the K&N, which would allow for use of their cleaning kit with oil to referbish it. But there is no definitive answer from anyone for sure as to whether K&N made them for EBR.

snacktoast
11-27-2015, 11:49 PM

Yes, the OEM filter is a K&N.

Mike
11-28-2015, 02:53 AM
Snack -

How do you know this "fact" ? Or just another guess because it looks like it.
It is not in their catalog, nor a couple others I looked at.

There are 4 or 5 (at least) companies making the same...visually...type of air cleaners..!

A little Dial soap, a light scrub with an old tooth brush, a final rinse with some watered-down 409, rinse well with water, equals nice and white air cleaner element again.

Mike

snacktoast
11-29-2015, 07:56 PM
Snack -

How do you know this "fact" ? Or just another guess because it looks like it.
It is not in their catalog, nor a couple others I looked at.

There are 4 or 5 (at least) companies making the same...visually...type of air cleaners..!

A little Dial soap, a light scrub with an old tooth brush, a final rinse with some watered-down 409, rinse well with water, equals nice and white air cleaner element again.

Mike

I know it is - 100% fact.
I don't play the guessing game to feed others with bad information.
It's not in K&N's catalog because it was made exclusively for EBR.

That being said, since it's a cotton gauze, I would not scrub it. Degreaser, let it sit for 5 minutes, flush it from the inside out with warm water, allow it to air dry, then lightly oiled.
Anything else runs the risk of opening up the filter media to larger than ideal holes and potentially compromising filtering ability.

yzf29
11-29-2015, 08:08 PM
I know it is - 100% fact.
I don't play the guessing game to feed others with bad information.
It's not in K&N's catalog because it was made exclusively for EBR.

That being said, since it's a cotton gauze, I would not scrub it. Degreaser, let it sit for 5 minutes, flush it from the inside out with warm water, allow it to air dry, then lightly oiled.
Anything else runs the risk of opening up the filter media to larger than ideal holes and potentially compromising filtering ability.

Gotta be honest with you- I pulled it- it looks EXACTLY like a K&N for fit and function- So I will treat it as such. Google how to clean a K&N filter and that is what you need to maintain. If it needed "special consideration" other than clean and oil (like a K&N) I am hopeful the manual would have had more detail in that regard. Which it did not.

YMMV

Mike
11-29-2015, 08:10 PM
Snack -

I'd be interested in seeing some sort of proof on this fact, just for kicks... I'd bet if I asked K&N they would know anything about it. But I may try anyway. There's too many manufacturers of this type filter to say for sure, unless you're some sort of insider.

I've never hurt one yet, don't plan on hurting this one..!

Mike

Doosh
11-29-2015, 08:43 PM
Mike,

The guy that posted on FB about being the engineer who wrote the PO to K&N is the real McCoy.

snacktoast
11-29-2015, 09:22 PM
Snack -

I'd be interested in seeing some sort of proof on this fact, just for kicks... I'd bet if I asked K&N they would know anything about it. But I may try anyway. There's too many manufacturers of this type filter to say for sure, unless you're some sort of insider.

I've never hurt one yet, don't plan on hurting this one..!

Mike

Some sort of proof? :rolleyes:
All you need is Michael Richter's word from the Facebook 1190 owners group. That's no BS.

Like any supplier to any manufacturer, of course the will tell you they don't know anything about it. That's because they signed a confidentiality agreement when they were qualified as a supplier for a company's product.

Mike
11-30-2015, 08:38 PM
Mmmm...ok, I give.

Mike

Ken House
02-07-2018, 03:36 PM
Where might I find a brand new air filter or six, preferably with EBG labels?

Ken

d_adams
02-07-2018, 08:36 PM
LAP is your only source for EBR parts, aside from ordering from a dealer. That said, the OEM filter *IS* a K&N filter, it can be cleaned and re-used.

Ken House
02-08-2018, 03:26 PM
I learned that air filters can be obtained from EBR (LAP?) through Kim Tordik at 262 642 1647. They cost $75, so cleaning and re-oiling the existing filter is recommended. The part number for the air filter on the SX is 1510 P0213 09B5 Rev C.

EBRRider
02-08-2018, 06:08 PM
I learned that air filters can be obtained from EBR (LAP?) through Kim Tordik at 262 642 1647. They cost $75, so cleaning and re-oiling the existing filter is recommended. The part number for the air filter on the SX is 1510 P0213 09B5 Rev C.

Hello Ken I hope you dont believe every I tell you on FB , LOL :cheers:

d_adams
02-09-2018, 07:02 AM

LAP owns EBR, Kim is very good people. She's my favorite EBR long-time employee and I get a hug from her just about every time I see her.

Price sounds about right for the filter, it's the same for RX or SX models.