PDA

View Full Version : Front end / wheel swap

GJB
11-21-2015, 10:24 PM
I know its been done. Anyone here know of drop in forks and front wheel with standard rotors?

Doosh
11-22-2015, 06:40 PM
R1 worked on the 1125r

Mike
11-22-2015, 10:34 PM
Does the RX/SX have a different center line than the 1125R/CR ?
One of the GSXR's works on the XB series bikes, but that doesn't help either...

GJB -
With some work (sometimes), while you may need to swap steering stems and or make spacers, if there's a will there's a way.
I put GSXR front ends on a few older FZR1000 Yamaha's back in the day. Also put a Honda single sided swing arm on one of my FZR1000's...so...
Do some basic measuring of the steering head, and fork leg spacing (center line) of your RX then hit up a local bike wreaking yard (or call them).

Hmm, sounds like an interesting project..!

Mike

Doosh
11-23-2015, 09:17 AM
The XB bikes used considerably smaller forks than the 1125 and 1190 bikes.

All this stuff was Showa, so I'm not surprised to find other bikes that will fit or graph on with "reasonable" work.

I would anticiapte the R1 still works on the 1190RX, but I've not checked. I do know, however, the RX triples have the fork tubes about 1-2mm forward from the 1125r era setup.

GJB
11-23-2015, 09:38 PM
Is the R1 swap the entire triple clamp? Do you know what years work?

Doosh
11-23-2015, 10:50 PM
Gotta do upper, lower and stem, for sure.

Mike
11-23-2015, 11:36 PM
Um...all R1's are NOT the same (in this respect, or many other's)... And there has been a few made, many with some pretty big differences.

Can someone provide years for those interested ?!

Mike

Doosh
11-24-2015, 09:44 AM
I don't know the years, I just know it's been done.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=badweatherbikers+R1+1125r+front+end ;)

Or, try this one:

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/290431/580246.html?1279293875

Just looking around, t wuld appear 03-06 are workable years.

GJB
11-24-2015, 09:28 PM
Looks like it has been done on 1125. From badweatherbikers Buel101 (JHansen)

Not sure I understand if he used Attack adjustable triple clams or the R1 clamps??

According to the R1 guys (as of last winter) the 04-06 model has the best frontend (bigger brakes) so that’s what I went with along the attack performance adjustable trips and stem…R1 upper and lower with the 1125r stem, simple. Also they give you a racer discount. As Trojan stated the distance from fork to fork is larger not sure what issues he had with the XB but on the 1125r there are 2 radiators to deal with unless you have the front mounted conversion kit. The attack trips are SWEET!! but are so bulky they hit the k brackets. Trial and error on this mod but I tested my seconded set of K’s with a low side and they passed!! You can mod the $800 trips or $40 k-brackets. By mod I mean remove material… Also if you are using the Buell clutch mc use the woodcraft clip ons. Ducati & Aprila are stock brembo clutch MC so one could match the brake mc and any Clip on would work. Steering damper, all you need is a 54mm fork bracket and it mounts to the frame just below the neck with a spacer (2 threaded holes one is for ground) I might redo this with a yoke from Erik Buell Racing (http://www.ebracing.com/). ($30)

As far as set up I wanted a higher trail number and I’m very close to that sweet spot. Right now I have the 6mm offset insert and am 4 mm higher that stock on the fork height (R1 forks are 12.7mm longer) to give me 88-89mm of trail and it handled very well at RA. Unfortunately I went to hot into 5 got into some bumps loading the front messing up my ankle and couldn’t play the rest of the weekend, but the bike was fine…up next is a smaller technical track so I might lower 2mm and go from there…

-$800 attack trips and stem
-$360 complete R1 front end minus wheel ebay bonus it had the right spring
-$100 R1 wheel and rotors ebay
-$40 K brackets ebay
-$40 54mm damper bracket
+$800 for the Buell front end

kneepucker
11-25-2015, 09:07 AM
-$800 attack trips and stem
-$360 complete R1 front end minus wheel ebay bonus it had the right spring
-$100 R1 wheel and rotors ebay
-$40 K brackets ebay
-$40 54mm damper bracket
+$800 for the Buell front end

Damn.....you can buy a lot of rotors and pads for that much.....
I've been tempted at fitting my outgoing CBR1000RR forks on with some custom triples, but then I just think about the additional weight I'd be putting back into gyroscopic effect.
If it worked in WSBK, it'll work for me......

Doosh
11-25-2015, 09:22 AM
The brakes have come a long way since 2008/2009, as well, so keep that in mind. I was smoking the stock brakes on the 1125r at Eagles Canyon at my skill level, never mind someone actually fast. Today I'm significantly quicker than in 2009 and yet I find the brakes work great.

The Nissin 2015 fatback pads, finned rotors and especially new mounting hardware all helps tremendously and more or less fixed the Buell brake system at club racing levels. It just took a while to get there. In the XB era, the bikes were basically no faster than an SV650, so the amount of energy the brake system had to dissipate just wasn't that high.

Keep in mind even in the Eslick/DSB era they were already using heavily modified systems compared to stock -- better mounting hardware, milled out calipers for better cooling, and so on. When May was in AMA one of the club guys took close up pictures of the brake on his bike and the rotor mounting hardware was all non-stock. It looked like they had milled the washers and drive bushings from copper -- probably some esoteric BeCu alloy based on the comments from Badweb. The WSBK stuff years later was even more esoteric, and there's pictures of it floating around if you look for them -- pencil milled, prototype one-off calipers, vented rotors, etc. And, it was well documented rotors and mounting hardware were "one use"... meaning one race... at that level.

That Blake guy you see on Badweb was/is a total blowhard that took the defense of the Buell designs, facts or not. Some of the things Buell did were genius. Some of them, like the brake, just put a lot of resources into solving a problem a different way that was already acceptably solved. And, here we are, ~15 years after the introduction of the ZTL with a brake that, more or less, is a functional equal to the existing systems.

Doosh
11-25-2015, 09:28 AM
Damn.....you can buy a lot of rotors and pads for that much.....
but then I just think about the additional weight I'd be putting back into gyroscopic effect.

Keep in mind there might be no difference because of the moment of inertia. The way to test this would be to spin both wheels on an axle to a speed they both can be held up by just one end of the axle and then pull level to the ground some distance and measure the force required to do that.

BadWeb has had these debates endlessly over the years. When guys started putting wheels on the scale and actually measuring things, generally what was found what a whole lot of "nice theory" with no practical differences between the solutions.

GJB
11-25-2015, 06:58 PM
It worked becase they change pads and rotor every session. Pretty much covers the cost of a front end replacement in a single day. The race guys hated the Front brakes. They could not change or they would.

kneepucker
11-25-2015, 07:26 PM
It worked becase they change pads and rotor every session. Pretty much covers the cost of a front end replacement in a single day. The race guys hated the Front brakes. They could not change or they would.

No, they eventually did change them.739

All I know is that I destroy pads and rotors on my CBR1000RR, so I'm interested to see what my first trackday does to my EBR this coming spring! To makes matters worse/more fun, I was hoping to reduce engine braking because the clutch sucks.... FML

GJB
11-25-2015, 08:26 PM
Interesting, AMA guys could not change front end. I feel I have not yet pushed overly hard on the bike yet, but first time out the EBC pads had terrible stopping power. Switched to SBS, which were much better, but by the end of the day the rotors had so much brake residue on them that the front wheel was dragging bad. Sanded the rotors down and went out for a second day on the SBS pads. Not as good as the first day, and faded towards the end of a session. Last straw was when the lever suddenly puled all the way to the bar when the brake fluid boiled. Time for EBR to give up on this concept. Nice try, but know when to quit.

I also have a CBR 1000rr race bike with a similar paint scheme to yours kneepucker. I would like to figure out to get a CBR front end on the 1190

yamatr3
12-09-2015, 11:34 PM
Ran across this tonight.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GSXR-Conversion-Billet-Fork-Yokes-for-the-Buell-/230341381373?hash=item35a16a8cfd:m:ml32k-y7bPoN_YlnvfPszcg