PDA

View Full Version : Rumble of clutch basket

zviadi
11-02-2015, 02:54 AM
When you run 9000 km noticed that the clutch basket makes unusual noise. When you press clutch lever the noise is disappears.
At first I thought, that the case of worn clutch disc. I changed discs on Barnett, but the noise has not disappeared. Moreover - he began to progress.
Who basket rumbles louder than Ducati. This rumble is heard even on the move.
Does anyone have a similar?

Brutus1190
11-02-2015, 03:07 AM
I've been told the noise is common with a slipper clutch.

zviadi
11-02-2015, 03:17 AM
Mine no slipper clutch, full of stock.

zviadi
11-02-2015, 03:27 AM
On my KTM 990SD had the same thing, I replaced the clutch needle bearing. This bearing is not in clutch design of EBR, will have to change basket assembly.
Probably sunk spring torsional vibration damper. At the same time, too will have to change basket assembly.
The third reason - the play of the primary shaft of the gearbox.

oldtimerookie
11-02-2015, 11:21 AM
The 1190RX comes with a slipper clutch stock.

buell-fan
11-02-2015, 12:09 PM
Judging from the looks of your clutch basket you posted a few weeks ago I would think it is probably the springs in there wearing more and more causing the rumble noise. Mine has a rumble, but only when in neutral. EBR getting ready to start operations again soon, so it won't be long before a new basket is available.

zviadi
11-02-2015, 03:21 PM

At this bike in stock not slipper clutch. There is a pathetic imitation slipper, similar Aprilia Rotax (PPC - pneumatic power clutch).
On my Aprilia this PPC don't work, and all of my friends have the same situation on their Aprilias - if you need to gear down, we have to add gas.

Mine has a rumble, but only when in neutral

Similarly.
Russian dealer sent a request to Eric and put a picture of my basket. Perhaps it replaced under warranty...
Basket costs nearly 1,100 euros :twitch:

Doosh
11-03-2015, 03:32 PM

Nope.

pytalkamus
11-03-2015, 05:45 PM
Nope.
Yep...

Betterbuell
11-05-2015, 07:35 AM
Yep...
Has a slipper clutch , just not very slippery . Often change back two gears and dump the clutch without pulling big revs. If you change back low in the revs the rear wheel hops or skids because it doesnt slip.

Doosh
11-05-2015, 08:49 AM
If the RX has a slipper clutch, please post pictures of the the mechanical action or parts making any kind of slip behavior possible.

I've have been inside, outside, up, down and all over that clutch on both the RX and 1125r. It is by no measure or means a slipper clutch. There is absolutely nothing in that clutch that will respond to back pressure from the rear tire/transmission and reduce the clamping force of the clutch. No ball and ramp assembly. No basket ramp, either. Nothing. It's a straight clutch.

The RS has a slipper clutch. The Suter, in fact, perhaps the finest slipper clutch made. The RX, however, has essentially the same clutch as the RSVR and 1125r, and these are not slipper clutches.

dblast
11-05-2015, 10:47 AM
It is not mechanical, it works on high vacuum on the diaphragm which pulls clutch rod when RPMs are high and throttle plates are closed or closing.

Doosh
11-05-2015, 11:41 AM
It is not mechanical, it works on high vacuum on the diaphragm which pulls clutch rod when RPMs are high and throttle plates are closed or closing.

I'm very aware of the throttle body vacuum approach. One can notice it by chopping the throttle while in gear an in heavy deceleration, such as down a hill. The clutch level will require less force to pull.

In practice, this does nothing to slip the clutch for a couple of reasons:

1. Correct technique re-matches the motor during downshifts, eliminating the vacuum assist.
2. The vacuum isn't really present during the clutched-downshift itself (motor is idling, after all).

If you are really ham-fisted about downshifts and do them pretty much the worst way possible, you might get some assist from the clutch, but it's nominal at best.

I'm gonna go with the RX doesn't have a slipper.

Betterbuell
11-06-2015, 05:05 PM
I'm very aware of the throttle body vacuum approach. One can notice it by chopping the throttle while in gear an in heavy deceleration, such as down a hill. The clutch level will require less force to pull.

In practice, this does nothing to slip the clutch for a couple of reasons:

1. Correct technique re-matches the motor during downshifts, eliminating the vacuum assist.
2. The vacuum isn't really present during the clutched-downshift itself (motor is idling, after all).

If you are really ham-fisted about downshifts and do them pretty much the worst way possible, you might get some assist from the clutch, but it's nominal at best.

I'm gonna go with the RX doesn't have a slipper.
So your going to install a Suter slipper ?

Doosh
11-07-2015, 03:25 PM
So your going to install a Suter slipper ?

We will see.

I had a Suter in my race bike I just parted out. It is both the most amazing clutch ever, and a ginormous pain in the ass. I had a whole tray of shim washers and parts dedicated to keeping that thing in tune.

I'm starting to build the RX into a sprint bike and we will see. My first attempts will be at using the off-throttle fuel map to reduce the need for the slipper. I did this with a stock 1125r set up for endurance racing, and I don't want for a slipper on that bike in the way I did with the high-compression DSB-spec and then later 1190 build.

The Suter is just especially smooth. Corner entry was always inline and the bike never got upset.

zviadi
12-02-2015, 03:24 AM
I had the opportunity to buy a clutch assembly from 1125 - friction and steel discs, springs and both drums.
Tell me - fit these parts for my 1190?

Doosh
12-02-2015, 08:10 AM
I'm nearly 100% sure the clutch PACK (frictions and springs) are the same. I haven't split my RX apart to look, but the Suter clutch and aftermarket parts for both bikes are the same, so I'm expecting the clutch pack to be identical.

Where I would expect differences might be in the drive cush beneath the clutch basket, and the pressure plate springs that clamp the clutch pack. You aren't replacing the whole clutch assembly, I assume, so you would need to only put in the 1125r pack and then use your 1190 pressure plate and springs.

Honestly, I bet the whole clutch assembly, soup to nuts, is identical between the bikes, but I haven't ripped my RX apart yet to be able to conform this.

zviadi
12-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Thanks!
I called the dealer and he also confirmed, that slipper of 1125 and 1190 is the same.
I just want to replace the outher basket with primary gear and the inner drum at its 1190, purchasing these items from 1125.
We'll - have to take the risk. Maybe I'll have two clutch assembly (purchased 1125 and mine 1190) to collect one clutch assembly.
On the results were reported. However, it is unlikely to be before March 2016 - my bike is on the winter storage of other people.

zviadi
01-01-2016, 02:30 PM
Preliminary information.
Find the cause rumble of clutch basket - collapsed spring torsional vibration damper (fig. 9 in the picture above). So I guess ...
Found in my city the clutch assembly from 1125 for 100$. When install it became clear, that clutch basket of 1125 and 1190 are different. A more detailed explanation of the difference can not - the words of the mechanics, these baskets are different cutout teeth friction discs (fig. 15).
It's very strange, but I believe him.
We now have a weekend in Russia until 11 January, no one is working. Christmas holidays the whole country:bannana:
After 11 January promised to call me in the garage, so I saw for myself the differences.
Of the two baskets will collect one.

GJB
01-01-2016, 07:34 PM
For a big twin the bike does not have a lot of engine braking. I find I sometimes run wide due to lack of engine braking

Mike
01-02-2016, 02:28 AM
GJB -

Really has nothing to do with the "big twin".
If you use the IDS, ECM, you can mess with the fuel at closed and mostly closed throttle to tune in engine braking. I messed with my 1125CR with the amount I wanted.
On the Harley Buells, it's a bit tougher to change the engine braking because of the heavy flywheel effect.

Mike

GJB
01-02-2016, 03:32 AM
Thanks, I just got a programmable IDS ECM, so I will have to figure out how to play with the tuning. Is the traction control also programmable with the IDS ECM?

zviadi
01-15-2016, 03:04 PM
Continued.
My mechanic discovered after a careful examination, that the basket 1125 and 1190 are interchangeable. Now I put the basket on the 1125 assembly with the oil pump drive gear.
Next week will start the engine and look if there are any problems after replacement.

Jbaker229
01-21-2016, 07:03 PM
^keep us posted on the outcome - hopefully this works!

zviadi
01-27-2016, 03:10 PM
Ok, i'm promise.
Currently basket of 1125 mounted to the crankcase and change oil, but the engine will not start. Mechanic repairing not only my motorcycle.
Now we have winter and off-season, no hurry. All bikers will come to life in April, not before.:biggrin:

zviadi
01-29-2016, 01:42 PM
The engine started, warmed and replaced the antifreeze. No extraneous noise of clutch basket.
Waiting for April ...

noone1569
02-02-2016, 08:39 AM
Glad to hear it xviadi. A good test would be to ride it to Moscow and take a picture of the amazing American bike in front of the Kremlin. ;)

zviadi
02-03-2016, 12:41 AM
Ha-ha! I just bought it from a dealer in Moscow. Distance from St. Petersburg to Moscow - 700 km.
On Red Square allowed only military machinery during parades.

zviadi
03-28-2016, 03:08 PM
Today first time in this year ride on my bike. Drove about 15 miles.
Basket does not rumble, gear shifted good, neutral searched quickly.

I continue to observe.