PDA

View Full Version : stator cover removal and bad starter

rx1190kevin
10-13-2015, 08:38 AM
Doing a leakdown test and I need to access the nut on the end of the crankshaft on the stator side to position tdc , normally you take the cover cap off ,and you can access the nut. Not on this bike. There is a snap ring. Anyone else open one up yet? Any help would be great. Also my stater **** the bed. I must have one of the ones with the o ring that were defective.

10-13-2015, 11:52 AM
FWIW, the service videos show removal of the stator cover without removal of the cover cap, snap ring inside or anything else. Interestingly, the installation procedure does cover the snap ring and other associated components.

d_adams
10-13-2015, 04:18 PM
It's the same as an 1125. Pop off the plastic cover, remove the snap-ring, pull the aluminum plug out.

rx1190kevin
10-14-2015, 02:50 AM
Thanks Guys,I'm one cautious guy when it comes to this bike ,read,and check twice ,lol. Made some mistakes that have costs me.

AKA Marco
10-15-2015, 06:12 AM
hi Kevin,

can you explain better where the leak you talking about comes from? i am curious as i too found few drops of oil, nothing major, around the oil filter cover and around the Drain plug, and i am nor sure where is it from; i checked around the stator cover but it is dry around there, i am thinking it might be the from the oil line coming out the crank case which goes into the radiator see pics below...

rx1190kevin
10-15-2015, 07:32 AM
A leakdiwn test is to check the rings and valves for percentage of escaping air past said components. If your in the green ya don't need to shim valves,etc. Since I don't race,( on a track that is ) and bounce off the rev limiter all the time,the leakdown test saves some serious bucks. Looked at your pic ,looks pretty clean. Any oil on your oil cooler? Did you get an oil cooler guard( R & G ) one rock can ruin your whole day. I need to crank or jog the engine to tdc for forward and aft cylinders to preform the test,that's why I asked about the stator cover. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my description.

d_adams
10-15-2015, 03:56 PM
A leakdiwn test is to check the rings and valves for percentage of escaping air past said components. If your in the green ya don't need to shim valves,etc. Since I don't race,( on a track that is ) and bounce off the rev limiter all the time,the leakdown test saves some serious bucks. Looked at your pic ,looks pretty clean. Any oil on your oil cooler? Did you get an oil cooler guard( R & G ) one rock can ruin your whole day. I need to crank or jog the engine to tdc for forward and aft cylinders to preform the test,that's why I asked about the stator cover. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my description.

Umm, not exactly accurate there. The valves could be exceptionally loose and you'd get the same results with a leakdown test, assuming of course that the valves and seats are not damaged. A leakdown test will tell you a percentage of air leaking by either the rings or valves, POSSIBLY indicating a worn component. That's all. You also need to do a compression test to compare cylinder to cylinder. On the 1190's, I'd expect to see 150+ psi on a cold motor for both cylinders. Even then, it's still wiser to check the clearances rather than just guess at it and assume it's ok. If you've gone to the trouble of accessing the spark plugs, that means you've already pulled the airbox. It's probably 15 minutes more work to get the valve cover off the front cylinder at most. The rear will require a little more effort, but in all honesty, you'd be better off just checking them.

rx1190kevin
10-16-2015, 05:29 AM
Sounds like a plan,I do have the airbox out and a clear field.oh well, what are the clearances for intake and exhaust?

d_adams
10-16-2015, 03:22 PM
VALVE LASH ADJUSTMENT
INTAKE.........0.006"-0.007" (0.152-0.178mm)
EXHAUST.....0.012"-0.013" (0.305-0.330mm)

rx1190kevin
10-17-2015, 07:03 AM
I see your point about having to check,thats a tight tolerance. Back when dirt was new I was a machinist,many a journal was that tight or tighter. Do you know where i can get the tdc lock tool for #1 cylinder? Owning a bike with no support is frustrating at times. To think that I traded in a perfectly good zx 14 for this, lol

d_adams
10-17-2015, 11:05 AM
Roll the motor until the lobes are pointing away from the cam follower. As long as it's on the base circle, you can get an accurate measurement. I've never locked mine on the 1125, the 1190 is the same.

rx1190kevin
10-18-2015, 09:29 PM
Question, is there a clip system in the head that allows you to access the shims WITHOUT removing the cams?. Similar to the Huskie system? Spent some time removing the starter, no corrosion,cleaned the commentator etc and reinstalled. Next is the valve adjustment and the covers are proving a bit of fun,any info about the rear one and how to remove?

Sparky
10-19-2015, 02:02 PM
No need to remove cams. There is a Finger Follower (clip as you call it?) that rides between the cam and valve stem collar which holds the shim. Between adjacent finger followers there is a Finger Follower Lock which needs to be lifted out of the way to slide the Finger Follower over to gain access to the shim.

All this is shown in the EBR Service Manual USB device offered here on the AF1Racing store. If you don't have one, it's well worth the money & time saved by looking elsewhere for advice.:thumb:

rx1190kevin
10-19-2015, 03:28 PM
Didn't know that they were available. Gonna get one. One last question, I have everything out of the way on the rear valve cover but I can't get it out around the rear shock mount,any special trick to get it out

rx1190kevin
10-19-2015, 05:03 PM
Ordered the manual ��

d_adams
10-19-2015, 06:59 PM
I've not done it on the 1190 yet (although that job is coming up twice here shortly) and I've heard that supporting the engine and removal of the rear shock/subframe is what it takes to get it out. Total removal isn't required, just the upper bolts and the shock mount.

noone1569
10-19-2015, 07:44 PM
Yep, doing the valve adjustment isn't that bad. Just don't drop a shim . . might take a week to find it . .

rx1190kevin
10-20-2015, 03:14 AM
Yeah ,thanks guys, I have a Deans Adams exhaust to put on anyway so I can drop off the stock exhaust and use my bike jack, ya think that they could of made it any harder? Lol yeah use clean rags and plug up the chain valleys too. My son found valve shims in his Huskie 410 crank case! Been watching tutorials,good sleep hot coffee,and write every thing down is a must,lol

noone1569
10-20-2015, 07:52 AM
Also, print yourself a copy of the 1125 manual and keep it close. Really helps

rx1190kevin
10-20-2015, 09:08 AM
Thanks for all your help guys, this is my first valve lash adjustment,a person who I trust said that the leak down test was sufficient to check the valves but after all the information that ya all provided I now know thats not the case. Probably saving myself about 600 bucks doing it.I will let ya know.