PDA

View Full Version : Oil consumption

zviadi
09-11-2015, 01:31 PM
I change the oil every 5,000 km. Often ride above 7000 rpm. Often it is necessary to add oil. Last change of the oil level has fallen from the top to the bottom of the label, and lit the lamp for low oil pressure. I topped up with almost 600 grams.

What is your oil consumption?

Mike
09-11-2015, 06:49 PM
So far good with mine.
At 3500 (or so) miles between oil changes, the level will drop about 1/4 the length of the sight glass.
No racing here but my daily morning trip to work is spent between 75 and 80 mph for about 40 minutes on the freeway. With a coupla quick shots at about 100 while getting on the freeway. Just for noting, my afternoon trip is closer to 20 to 45mph..!

I've found with years of new engines in both cars and bikes, much of the overall oil consumption comes from a good breakin procedure in the first few miles off the initial starting of the engine. With a good piston ring breakin, also comes a little power.

Mike

buell-fan
09-11-2015, 07:07 PM
Didn't you just de-noid your bike very recently? I figure that the solenoid pulling the butterfly's shut all the time for "noise emmissions" would add to oil consumption because it creates a vacuum or negative pressure area in the cylinders pulling oil past the rings. Your oil consumption may go down now. It is going to be a very interesting test. Please let us know what the oil consumption is at your next oil change. I just removed that solenoid on my bike tonight, so we'll see what happens between the next oil change for me too.

zac4mac
09-11-2015, 10:00 PM
I doubt he hit the solenoid very often.
It usually gets removed after firing once.

zviadi
09-12-2015, 04:36 AM
I doubt that the case in denoid ...
Oil consumption is dependent on engine revs. I ride at high revs in low gears (no higher than third gear 95% of the time), someone on the contrary - goes to higher gears at low revs, saving fuel.
I have noticed that after long trips at high speed to high revs, I poured oil of airbox on the rear cylinder head. Because of this high oil consumption.
I also think that plays a big role condition of the air filter. When it is clogged, the pistons sucks the oil in airbox. I clean the air filter every 2500 km, while it is completely clogged.

buell-fan
09-12-2015, 06:15 AM
At high revs the solenoid would be activated much more often wouldn't it? And therefore would pull oil past the rings. However, at high RPMs and/or full throttle, with butterflies open or closed, the oil should be consumed in the combustion process. So maybe you are getting unburned oil in the intake air stream from somewhere else. Is the oil you are pouring out unburned and fresh oil? This oil you are accumulating may be from the pressurized oil being forced in there past an oil fitting or a seal by the high RPMs but not from piston ring blow-by.

zac4mac
09-12-2015, 12:15 PM
The solenoid only fires in a very narrow window needed to pass the EPA test.
50rpm either side of 5850 or whatever it is will NOT fire.
It was made this way to not intrude on daily riding, just pass the test.

zviadi
09-12-2015, 04:14 PM
Pistons suck oil through the crankcase ventilation system, and not via the piston rings.
If such a quantity of oil breaks through the piston ring, the motorcycle would have smoked heavily, and this is not observed. Wherein the compression in the cylinders would be zero.

The operation of the solenoid no relation to the oil consumption has not.

Mike
09-12-2015, 04:52 PM
Zviadi -

Not true..! How do you think the oil got into the breather system in the first place, by the pistons "creating pressure" in the crank case, NOT a vacuum.
Another way is the oil is passed into the combustion chamber and out the tail pipe by...leaking rings, and/or...out the tail pipe by leaking valve guides. Then there's the leaking gaskets...that's pretty much it..!

I just checked my drained oil for amount consumption. In 3500+ miles I lost just under 1/3 of a quart.

Mike

zviadi
09-12-2015, 05:21 PM
After 10,000 km airbox removed and inspected the engine - all gaskets whole. Oil flows down the rear cylinder from airbox!

Breakthrough crankcase gases in such large amount in the crankcase ventilation system is unlikely - a small motor milleage sooner it have problems with the piston rings. Compression is normal. Many times I have seen bikes with worn engines and high pressure crankcase gases - my bike with them nothing. Once again - it is not a break of gases through the piston rings. Otherwise, the engine is not developed to power and in general has broken ...
But because of a clogged air filter can be sucks oil from breather. Especially during long rides at high revs.

Before EBR I had Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200, it was a new dealer bike. Even after driving 1,000 km in airbox were whole puddles of oil due to improperly performed crankcase ventilation system. When i rode, oil flowed from airbox even my left shoe! I struggled with crankcase gases three years and 16000 km, while owned this bike. Eventually brought out airbox a plastic tube to drain excess oil.
In Dorsoduro it was not a dry sump, so that this solution will not work for EBR.

zviadi
09-20-2015, 02:34 PM
To continue monitoring. After long trips at high revs and speed (over 180 km/h) oil continues to leak from the airbox. After each trip (300-400 km) is necessary to add oil to the engine (100-150 grams).
Who has such a problem?

buell-fan
09-20-2015, 03:42 PM
That is a lot of oil being puked out of the engine from somewhere in that amount of time. There is definately a problem somewhere.

Finding the source is easy enough. Thoroughly clean all oil pools and residue of oil in the air box and off all the hoses, and replace the air filter with a new dry filter. With a newly cleaned and dry bike, give it a short but quick high rpm ride around the block. This short ride should just start to show exactly where the oil source is coming from. Then it will be easier to figure out what is wrong and why so much oil is entering the air box and filter area.

QtheBUELLIGAN
09-20-2015, 07:02 PM
do we need to come up with an XB-style breather mod? :burnout:Or is that not really relevant here? Other than zviadi finding the source......