PDA

View Full Version : What did you do to your EBR today...

buell-fan
09-11-2015, 12:49 PM
This thread is a place for all EBR owners to share and detail any maintenance, modifications, tutorials and upgrades, to ask questions and get answers from fellow members posting up their work, and, most importantly, to share the wealth of knowledge surrounding our bikes with each other to help keep them alive and healthy machines. Post up your contributions.

buell-fan
09-11-2015, 07:54 PM
The bike got de-noided today to loose the three pounds of unneeded weight. I had disabled it a week ago with not much more noise pollution, but then again it hasn't seen any WOT pulls yet because it is still being broken in.

If anyone is interested in purchasing the solenoid resistor that needs to be installed they can be ordered right from the manufacturer's distributor for $4.24 plus UPS small pkg shipping.
Deutch Part No. DTM06-2S-P006
Ladd Distributing, Kettering, Oh. (800) 223-1236

DkRider
09-12-2015, 11:33 AM
is it correct that you dont need the resistor if you have the race ecu and want to de-noide the bike ??

Slickit
09-12-2015, 12:40 PM
+1 ^

Mike
09-13-2015, 01:09 PM
Well...yesterday...
I changed the brake and clutch fluid.
I put my exhaust tips in place, moved them around a few times, trimmed one a little shorter, seems doable, for now anyway.

Mike

buell-fan
09-13-2015, 08:15 PM
Mike, post up some pics of the exhaust soon! How did the fluids look as compared to new, and how many miles was on it?

I did my 620 mile maintenances tonight. I had changed the oil and filter at 148 miles, which is a hundred miles more than I would normally have changed the oil on a newly machined engine. This 492 mile oil looks a little better than the 148 mile oil that was taken out two weeks ago. There was still a bit of fine particulate matter that settled on the bottom, but less than last time.

noone1569
09-14-2015, 08:29 AM
Tonight she gets a new rear shoe since she caught a nail, some fresh amsoil and hopefully track down this oil leak (likely from breather).

She's already gotten a Dean Adams pipe, that really woke her up.

Mike
09-14-2015, 10:35 AM
buellfan -

Didn't take any pictutes of the exhaust. I guess I can, but it'll have to wait till the weekend.

On the fluids, I refresh them when I notice a change in color. The darker (brown) the color is, the more water is in the fluid. The clutch needs to be changed about twice what the brakes need because of the extra engine heat.
I did the clutch the first time at "about" 3000 miles and it's currently got about 57xx miles on it. But again, I really don't watch the time or miles, just the fluid color. I let it go past a tan color, but when it actually starts to look light brown...out with the old, in with the new..!
Never let it go to brown. Remember, this color change is because of additional moisture in the fluid...and you know what moisture does to tight fitting parts (stainless or not)..!

Mike

kneepucker
09-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Posted mine for sale.....sadly.....in the RX threads.......

yamatr3
09-14-2015, 02:56 PM
Tonight she gets a new rear shoe since she caught a nail, some fresh amsoil and hopefully track down this oil leak (likely from breather).

She's already gotten a Dean Adams pipe, that really woke her up.

what did you do for a tune?

QtheBUELLIGAN
09-14-2015, 06:58 PM
DkRider, you need the resistor. I have the Race ECM and as soon as I pulled the 'noid plug, she threw a code. Don't remember what the code was. I'll have to take a look when I go to lunch tonight. Plugged the "noid back in and the code cleared. So I ordered a resistor....should be here in a day or two.

SX_Bueller
09-14-2015, 07:27 PM
Where you able to order right from the website or do you need to call and order it. Looking at the website it states something about a resistor, does it come installed already or do you have to modify this plug with the resistor?

Secondly, could I just unplug the noid and install this plug to prevent the code being thrown, but leave all the parts installed? I'd hate to tear it all down when I get the bike in hand at the end of the month.

Thanks.

QtheBUELLIGAN
09-14-2015, 09:30 PM
I'll let you know how mine looks when it shows up. should be delivered in the morning and I'll report back.

buell-fan
09-14-2015, 09:33 PM
SX_Bueller, I researched who the manufacturer of the resistor was and called them directly. They gave me to their distributor, who is in the same office building. This is the company and phone number I posted previously. Call them and order it for $4.24 + shipping. I was never on any website. When you get the bike it is a ten minute job removing the solenoid and replacing it with the resistor. It clips into the spot the solenoid wire clip is removed from.

SX_Bueller
09-15-2015, 05:36 PM
okay, thanks...i'll have to take a look when I get the bike.

Plotter
09-16-2015, 09:13 PM
Swapped the plastics on the bike... I am now the proud owner of a yellow 1190RX... My red plastics are on the way to a new owner...

Slickit
09-16-2015, 11:40 PM
found this after a ride

SX_Bueller
09-17-2015, 05:07 PM
The first one looks like an O2 sensor, and not sure what the other is...maybe a muffler bracket.

Mike
09-17-2015, 06:20 PM
What did I do...?
Trashed most of the body parts on the left side of my RX on the way to work Tuesday morning..!

Left side parts on oder.

Mike

QtheBUELLIGAN
09-20-2015, 07:15 PM
@SXBueller: so, back to square one on the denoid resistor. I should've known a "pack of 5 for $5.95" was too good of a deal to be true. I received just the plugs, without the resistors....
so when I get the right stuff, I'll report back. In the meantime, follow @buell-fan's advice. Call the proper place and get a resistor. you will need it.

zac4mac
09-20-2015, 10:28 PM
Get a 120-Ohm 1/2-3/4 watt and tap it in.
I don't have the pinout, but you're almost there.

Z

SX_Bueller
09-21-2015, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the info, Zac can you post a picture or diagram of how the pinout should look inside the connector. I will take mine apart on Wednesday to see what I have to work with on the inside.

I know that ASB has them available too and I would at least need 2 (1 for the 1125 and 1 for the 1190).

buell-fan
09-24-2015, 08:52 PM
I turned off the traction control today to practice launching off the line for the drag strip. What a difference going from TC3 to Off makes!

noone1569
09-24-2015, 09:36 PM
I turned off the traction control today to practice launching off the line for the drag strip. What a difference going from TC3 to Off makes!

Man I suck at launching this thing. Seemed to get the best launch for me on TC1 but was slower et and trap on tc1 with good launch then tc0 with ok launch.

Couple days late, but dropped my bike off to get dyno tuned =)

buell-fan
09-24-2015, 09:59 PM
Man I suck at launching this thing. Seemed to get the best launch for me on TC1 but was slower et and trap on tc1 with good launch then tc0 with ok launch.

Couple days late, but dropped my bike off to get dyno tuned =)
I suck at launching this too. Mostly because I don't want to buy new pieces and parts if I should flip it over off the line.

Let us know what they do to your machine at the dyno. By chance, did you drop it off with IDS in Decatur, In?

noone1569
09-25-2015, 09:37 AM
Let us know what they do to your machine at the dyno. By chance, did you drop it off with IDS in Decatur, In?

That is correct

buell-fan
09-25-2015, 11:36 PM
Drag raced the SX tonight. I know my reaction times suck and I haven't figured out if it should be short shifted or what (it went through the traps in fourth gear), but I was hoping for speed in the mid to high 130's in the 10's. It appears that a race ecm and good exhaust are necessary to uncork this thing.

Bagger
09-26-2015, 10:07 AM
"What did you do with your EBR today" well I did sell it!!!!

And if EBR is not gonna share some more info real soon, I will have to buy from another brand (hmmm, don't like that, but....want to have a new bike in the spring)
IF they share some more good info, well yeah, then I can drive my HD and waiting for a new EBR!!

d_adams
09-27-2015, 09:12 AM
Crap. Bought another one.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-LsIhhR-M3yY/Vgf4xbRAnsI/AAAAAAAAIOw/_G946Q0ylvo/w1135-h851-no/15%2B-%2B1

buell-fan
09-27-2015, 07:13 PM
Looks good Dean. All ready for the track even!

It appreaed that I was getting clutch slip in high gear while drag racing this weekend so I re-installed the original heavy green clutch springs in the SX today. I did not replace the new easy pull clutch actuator piston assembly for the original unit though. I figure that it will help with the original heavier springs. The clutch pull is a few pounds heavier, but still can be done with two fingers easily enough.

noone1569
09-28-2015, 07:47 AM
Drag raced the SX tonight. I know my reaction times suck and I haven't figured out if it should be short shifted or what (it went through the traps in fourth gear), but I was hoping for speed in the mid to high 130's in the 10's. It appears that a race ecm and good exhaust are necessary to uncork this thing.

Man, you should be running better than that on an sx! My first time out on the rx I ran a 11.01, then followed into the tens a bunch. Best is a 10.4 with a ****ty 60'

buell-fan
09-28-2015, 11:30 AM
Man, you should be running better than that on an sx! My first time out on the rx I ran a 11.01, then followed into the tens a bunch. Best is a 10.4 with a ****ty 60'

I know, it was disappointing. Does you machine have the easy pull clutch springs installed, and what was your best top speed?

noone1569
09-28-2015, 11:33 AM
I know, it was disappointing. Does you machine have the easy pull clutch springs installed, and what was your best top speed?

I've done it with both sets of springs. I'll see if I can dig up time slips tonight.

buell-fan
10-11-2015, 06:39 PM
noone1569, did you get the bike back from IDS yet? I am interested in what it did on the dyno and what they did to it for you. On mine I changed out the easy pull springs for the original heavy stock units when I got back from the track to prevent slipping and I am looking at putting in a programmable ecm with Dean's exhaust this winter.

zac4mac
10-12-2015, 10:00 PM
Been fitting Kevin Drum's system to my RS.
He built it from the OEM exhaust I sent him, so it's close.
Best fit is a little odd but working as I have almost an inch b/t tire and exhaust.

I don't think I need the bellypan so its gone.

Texas Mile is next week
I'm gonna break into the 180s

Z

buell-fan
10-16-2015, 06:17 PM
Well I got the full compliment of RG Racing crash protectors installed on the SX, except for the front fork units. They are manufactured specifically for the RX and so I need to fabricate something there to keep both units sandwiched together because of the lack of a brake duct mount on the SX.

I also mocked up a sweet set of Woodcraft clip ons to convert the bike over for track days today. They mount a bit low because the ignition switch is in the way. So I have to see if the switch can be relocated inward so as to raise the clip ons up the additional 1.5" to the triple trees. There is a big difference in riding posture from the stock bars to the clip ons, and dropping down an additional 1.5" puts me nearly on the air box; which is good for the track but sucks for the 99% of riding I do on the roads.

buell-fan
10-20-2015, 07:38 PM
Been fitting Kevin Drum's system to my RS.
He built it from the OEM exhaust I sent him, so it's close.
Best fit is a little odd but working as I have almost an inch b/t tire and exhaust.

I don't think I need the bellypan so its gone.

Texas Mile is next week
I'm gonna break into the 180s

Z

How about some pics of the new exhaust... And are you all you ready for the Texas Mile this weekend?

buell-fan
11-21-2015, 12:01 PM
Thanks to Mike and his epoxy trick, I cleaned up the long tail light assembly by cutting 76mm out of the center of the stalk at an angle closely matching the light assembly end. The big end slid over the tail section stalk fairly tight at first, but filing on the big end to make the stalk radius match the tail light it made a perfect fit and epoxied up easily. It looks factory stock to the untrained eye.

Mike
11-21-2015, 06:43 PM
Buell-fan -

Your welcome. Looks good.

Just to let you know, the lift spools you have on the swingarm, do a great job of keeping the swingarm off the pavement.
When I crashed in the rain in September, the Highway Patrolman found the bike about 60 yards down the freeway from where I ended up which was about another 20/25 yards from where we (the bike and I) hit the pavement.
The lift spool on the left side is about half gone, and "no scars" on the swingarm, axle or axle nut.

Mike

buell-fan
11-21-2015, 11:59 PM
Mike, it is good to hear that the axle spools saved the rear of your bike. I have got both sets on there for the added "insurance" in the event of a low side incident.

zac4mac
11-22-2015, 01:08 PM
Well, an update to my optimistic post above.
I'm back from the Texas Mile and mildly disappointed.

Best time(only got 4 runs due to rain/flooding) was 172.7, barely topping my Colorado time of 172.4.
I learned a bunch tho and the quest for speed only continues.

The thicker air at sea level was a huge power boost, first run was like riding a rocket with a light switch for a throttle.
A good part of the mile was on the back tire only, I made 155 on that one.

Before I left, I changed the shift from standard to GP.
No matter how much I chanted to myself down, down, down, I still tried to toe up on second... 40 years of habit is hard to break.
My Uly now has GP shift also...

It was a good trip tho, met a bunch of good folks at the races and got a super visit with family down there.

I'll be there again next fall.

Z

Mike
11-22-2015, 06:30 PM
Zac -

Aren't the Buell's regulated to about "that" speed by the government (just like the rest of the modern sport bikes), within the computer ?
Or have you bypassed that restriction ?

Tire size x gear ratio x RPM... should give you a general observation of the possible speed. Something's gotta be changed redline, tire diameter or sprocket tooth count or a combination to up the MPH.

In any case, sounds like fun.

Mike

Plotter
11-22-2015, 07:15 PM
Zac -

Aren't the Buell's regulated to about "that" speed by the government (just like the rest of the modern sport bikes), within the computer ?
Or have you bypassed that restriction ?

Tire size x gear ratio x RPM... should give you a general observation of the possible speed. Something's gotta be changed redline, tire diameter or sprocket tooth count or a combination to up the MPH.

In any case, sounds like fun.

Mike

Isn't that bypassed with the race ECM?

zac4mac
11-24-2015, 12:00 AM
Mike - if I can be at redline in 6th when I cross the mile.. not sure with the RS, the 1125R was figured to be around 186 at 6th-redline.
Didn't catch a glimpse of the tach at the mile, I'd be trying to see the mph but not near redline.

There are a lot of "switches" in the programmable ECU, I have a lot to learn there. I don't think there are any "governors".

My biggest problems were the new shift pattern and I couldn't find the right stance.

Z

Mike
11-26-2015, 06:14 PM
"...if I can be at redline in 6th when I cross the mile.."

Got ya...

Mike

Mike
11-26-2015, 06:20 PM
What did I do...
Yesterday (11 25), I started a valve clearance check. Got the rear done, no changes required. Will do the front tomorrow. As noted elsware, hard to believe how dirty the air filter is, especially in such few miles (about 17K). And no, never been offroad with my RX..!
I've never liked the K&N style for the street, but for as dirty as the filter is, the air cleaner "tray" is amazingly clean.
Will finish the front cylinder tomorrow...hopefully again with no changes required.

Mike

RV7PILOT
12-05-2015, 02:50 AM
Installed the DynoJet linear push switch (#4-104). Connected it to the kickstand wires per mackja. Works great.

d_adams
12-05-2015, 06:20 AM
What did I do...
hard to believe how dirty the air filter is, especially in such few miles (about 17K).
Mike

I'd bump that check/clean interval up to every 3k miles. You'd be surprised how dirty it gets in even that amount of time. Btw, it has a detrimental effect on performance if you DON'T clean it regularly.

Mike
12-06-2015, 07:55 PM
Finally got my RX back together from its valve clearance check. Only needed one shim. All back together.
And yea...I'll be doing a "much" closer check on the filter cleanliness from now on..!

One "extra" fastener, that I can't figure out where it went..! Everything (?) is back and tight except the throttle body solenoid, and it's two fasteners.

Mike

buell-fan
03-13-2016, 12:11 PM
So I changed my bars out to drag bars made by LSL, and put on some bar end mirrors to get those stock rabbit ear mirrors off of there. It was nice enough to run the bike on the roads today to check out their figment too. The ride height and feel of these bars is much better than stock; it is more comfortable getting down on the tank now.

qurtrn10
05-20-2016, 11:41 PM
I tore my bike apart to send some parts out for paint. :(
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/WilliamWalker/EBR/2016-05-19%20-%20Getting%20ready%20for%20paint%203_zpsuql9y2l9.j pg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/WilliamWalker/media/EBR/2016-05-19%20-%20Getting%20ready%20for%20paint%203_zpsuql9y2l9.j pg.html)

But in the process I found the plug for accessory power for my GPS and phone charger! :)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/WilliamWalker/EBR/2016-05-19%20-%20Found%20the%20power%20socket%202_zpsfpqp0ufy.jp g (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/WilliamWalker/media/EBR/2016-05-19%20-%20Found%20the%20power%20socket%202_zpsfpqp0ufy.jp g.html)

buell-fan
05-21-2016, 06:11 AM
Can't wait to see the finished product!

qurtrn10
09-07-2016, 10:26 PM
Can't wait to see the finished product!

I forgot to come back and post the follow up to the tear down - my bad.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/WilliamWalker/EBR/2016-08-23%206_zpsvad3mwyt.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/WilliamWalker/media/EBR/2016-08-23%206_zpsvad3mwyt.jpg.html)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/WilliamWalker/EBR/0828160850_HDR_zpsjyy1ghn6.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/WilliamWalker/media/EBR/0828160850_HDR_zpsjyy1ghn6.jpg.html)

buell-fan
09-07-2016, 10:32 PM
It looks great! Love the blue under the sub frame.