PDA

View Full Version : New owner question

SX_Bueller
09-11-2015, 11:38 AM
I will be receiving my new SX in a couple days from San Diego and I know that removing the secondary muffler along with replacing the ECM with race tune are very beneficial but I'm curious at what point do I start making changes? Right away or after the initial break-in period? It will only have 9 miles on it when the shippers drop it off.

What are the most common changes to make to maximize these bikes; it will only be a street bike with no track days? I'm not looking to throw a ton of money at it, but things that make the comfort and some performance better. Any California emissions items i should look at removing?

Thanks
Jeremy

buell-fan
09-11-2015, 07:41 PM
I would break it in real easy with low rpms but not lugging it at all until the piston rings and clutches are bedded in properly. I changed my oil and filter after 150 miles, and that was 100 miles longer than I would have normally with a new motor. There was a little bit of manufacturing "specs" of metal and debris in there but nothing to be too alarmed about at this point. Most people change the oil for the first time at the manufacturer's recommended 620 miles, and I will too, for the second time.

The noise emissions solenoid (search de-noid) can be disabled in three minutes time and seems to be 100% beneficial right from the beginning with not much more "noise" pollution.

If performance is your thing and you're not too worried about the noise then look at removing both mufflers and getting the Dean Adams Designs pipes or s similar system and a programmable ECU to remap the fuel and timing. This won't hurt anything in the engine either, so long as the mapping is correct and not running the engine lean anywhere.

In all actuality the EBR's are pretty good machines in stock form, and, from what I have read, only need an exhaust pipe system to let them breath and a race ECU to win on the track.

SX_Bueller
09-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Sounds great, thanks for the info.

d_adams
09-12-2015, 07:27 PM
Motoman break-in method. Beat it like you stole it.

https://youtu.be/oQPKYnM3jfI?t=4m2s

Btw, this is what my 1190 RX sounds like. Yes, I ride it the same way.

SX_Bueller
09-13-2015, 01:44 PM
Thats a crazy video, thanks for sharing.

Mike
09-13-2015, 06:02 PM
In reality...it doesn't matter one bit.
If you have the new ECM on hand, plug it in, then take it out for a good breakin. Running properly is all that you care about, and it will...run better with the "Secondary Muffler Removal" ECM in place.

I would have if I would have had one in hand..!

While I haven't seen the above video, remember, the "main" thing you are "breaking in" is the piston rings. And the ONLY way that they will be properly broken in....is with pressure. The pressure that gets behind the rings from the compression stroke and forces the rings out is what does this work. Babying the throttle is NOT the way to do this. Remember though, hard on the throttle also requires a little "off" throttle time to let the rings cool a little.
About a 50%-50% time period for hard throttle vs coasting or keeping up with traffic throttle.

Been using this basic method with my cars and bike new engines with excellent long lasting, low leak-down ring seal for about 45+ years now.

Mike

buell-fan
09-13-2015, 07:13 PM
While I haven't seen the above video, remember, the "main" thing you are "breaking in" is the piston rings. And the ONLY way that they will be properly broken in....is with pressure. The pressure that gets behind the rings from the compression stroke and forces the rings out is what does this work. Babying the throttle is NOT the way to do this. Remember though, hard on the throttle also requires a little "off" throttle time to let the rings cool a little.
About a 50%-50% time period for hard throttle vs coasting or keeping up with traffic throttle.

Been using this basic method with my cars and bike new engines with excellent long lasting, low leak-down ring seal for about 45+ years now.

Mike

This is what a local circle track engine builder told me years ago too. Pressure against the ring from hard accelleration and no dry startups in the beginning is key to breaking in a set of rings quickly and tight.

SX_Bueller
09-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Thanks Mike and Buell-Fan, that is great information, but I do have one question....what is dry startups and how do I prevent them?

Man I can't wait; got notified that the shippers picked up the bike on Saturday and will be about 2 weeks to get it across country. I'm so jonesing to get on it and ride the crap out of it. In the proper method listed above.

Thanks again. I think I'm going to try to pick up the ECM while its in shipping, install it, complete the break-in period, then look for tips when I remove the secondary muffler.

buell-fan
09-14-2015, 10:09 PM
"Dry startups" is when a builder doesn't use any type of assembly lube on the bearings and cylinder walls and the motor runs dry metal on metal until the oil gets slung around for the very first startup. You don't need to be worried about this, as the bike has been ran and verified in good running condition by the factory and then the dealer. I would assume they use some type of lube in East Troy.

SX_Bueller
09-15-2015, 08:33 PM
Awesome, thanks 10 days and counting down till I finally take delivery of mine. The funny part is that I've already made my first payment on it and don't even have it to enjoy yet.

Oh well, it will make it here eventually.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and recommendations.

SX_Bueller
09-19-2015, 11:29 AM
Does anyone have across reference for oil filters?

d_adams
09-19-2015, 12:25 PM
Same as the 1125 filter. K&N 564 if you want to use that. I have a few in the cabinet here for personal use.

SX_Bueller
09-19-2015, 04:06 PM
I found these for the 1125, Hiflofiltro HF564, curious if anyone has any experiences with them? amazon $9 which includes 2 day shipping with prime.

In the picture they seem way too tall, but that is typically a default picture and not actual size.

d_adams
09-19-2015, 04:19 PM
Same part as previously stated.

SX_Bueller
09-19-2015, 04:29 PM
okay, Once I stated trying to cross reference the numbers I realized they were the same. The K&N ones are about $1 more on Amazon at $10. I guess either would work as designed.

Thanks Dean for the feedback and info. I do have a separate question regarding your ECM/Tips package deal on your site. Is that the same ECM thats offered from IDS? Plus your price would include the finishing tips when the secondary muffler is removed?

THanks

d_adams
09-19-2015, 05:29 PM
Same ecm, I order them direct from IDSPD and yes, the price includes the tips.

SX_Bueller
10-01-2015, 04:51 PM
Okay, my new SX was delivered today and now have a couple questions along with issues. The issues are that the key lock for the passenger pad is damaged and the key will not go all the way in. I was able to operate it one time, but now it will not go in all the way. Along with that, the key that was delivered with the bike has a hairline crack about halfway down it and I am afraid that it will break off in either of the cylinders (ignition, gas cap, or seat lock).

When I started it up for the first time, it ran for about 30 seconds then shut off. restarted okay but there is a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I have never bought a new bike with only 7 miles, but is this some kind of condensation build up maybe that needs to burn off or some type of assembly lube? I am afraid of restarting it now because it never seems to lighten up or clear, I ran it for about 2 minutes. I did make sure there was oil in it and there was according to the sight glass.

Please let me know if a replacement key can be cut with the key code or aftermarket and about the running issues.

Thanks.

d_adams
10-01-2015, 05:29 PM
Any competent locksmith should be able to replicate the key, although you should have gotten a pair of them, not just one.

How cold is it where you're located? White smoke can be one of two things. Condensation (assuming it's cooler where you are) or antifreeze. If it's condensate, you're fine. If it's antifreeze, you'll be able to smell it and tell. It's got a sick/sweet smell as it burns.

SX_Bueller
10-01-2015, 06:00 PM
I did get 2 keys, one was mailed with my paperwork and was came with the bike upon delivery, the one with the bike is damaged; the other is cracked and can't trust it. The other issue is the damaged lock cylinder for the passenger seat.

I have contacted the dealer and they are looking into what they can offer as a solution. My concern is that there are no replacement parts available i.e., key blanks or lock cylinder sets.

I don't remember is there was a smell to the smoke, but the bike did get shipped from San Diego to Connecticut which was about 58deg here today. about 20 deg colder than it has been in the past weeks.

If there is no smell to it, do you recommend starting it and riding it for a little while to see if it clears?

SX_Bueller
10-01-2015, 06:05 PM
I did cross post this to Badweatherbikers and BuellXB

buell-fan
10-01-2015, 08:16 PM
Engines that are only started for short amount of time will definitely build condensation and expell is as white vapor resembling smoke. It isn't good for any high compression air and water cooled machine to be started for only short periods of time and not allowed to warm up thoroughly. Not only because of condensate issues inside the engine but also for leaking gasket issues later on down the road too. (Because different metals, gasket materials, and parts within different areas of the engine will expand and contract at different rates.)

As far as the key goes, as long as it works in the ignition, and gas cap works, with the one I would ride but be gentle with it. So long as you have that EBR key card you can get one made in the near future too.

Hughlysses
10-02-2015, 07:57 AM
My concern is that there are no replacement parts available i.e., key blanks or lock cylinder sets.

Take your key to a locksmith; I'll guarantee you they'll have a key blank that'll work.

SX_Bueller
10-02-2015, 05:45 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback.

buell-fan - weather is really bad here so I have decided to wait until I can at least ride the bike the next time i start it up, hopefully it will be sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Hughlysdes - I will look into this, but right now I'm try to work with the dealer that I purchased the bike from and hoping they will cover the cost of replacement keys and lock set since the passenger seat one is damaged and will not allow the key to fully seat in the cylinder. So that area is inaccessible right now.

SX_Bueller
10-04-2015, 04:51 PM
Just wanted to update everyone about the smoke/steam. I was able to get a little seat time on it today since the weather was nicer. started it up and after about 2 minutes of idling it went away. First ride on the bike, was fun that was. I put the TC on 10 just in case and that thing launches from a stop like a raped ape. I did take it easy like the book says during break-in.

My plan will be to half the first oil change at 300ish then the normal scheduled maintenance.

Here are a couple pictures of whats in the garage, even though there a couple more in my shed.

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii494/j_lauer/EBR%201190SX/3BF02A65-0F8B-41FC-BD49-F219B8D96FA0.jpg
and finally my new ride.
http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii494/j_lauer/EBR%201190SX/01356C8E-D80F-403D-8F74-65EF25B2B9C2.jpg

zviadi
10-05-2015, 01:10 PM
SX_Bueller, how does it feel 1190SX after 1125R?
I have a desire to buy second motorcycle 1125 СR to my 1190RX for city driving. I would be bored on 1125 after 1190?

SX_Bueller
10-05-2015, 03:48 PM
the 1125 is a bit different along with differnet riding position, I almost feel more comfortable on the SX and willing to push it harder than the 1125 only because I am more used to an upright position rather than on over-the-tank one. I have only begun the break-in (7 miles so far) but it sure is snappy and quick off the light even set at TC10.

SX_Bueller
10-05-2015, 03:49 PM
separately - just got word that the dealing will not cover the cost of the broken key nor the broken lock cylinder for the passenger pad. Can I take the cylinder from the gas cap and put it back there and find another gas cap that doesn't require a key. I would like to keep the ability to lock the passenger pad because I am going to use the helmet hanger.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to so many more miles on this bike.

d_adams
11-08-2015, 08:02 AM
http://www.slingshotracing.net/catalog/buell-1125xb9xb12-ebr-1190rs1190rx-keyless-race-gas-fuel-cap-p-868.html

Not affiliated with these guys, never bought anything from them either. Just providing a link is all.

Doosh
11-08-2015, 08:11 AM
http://www.slingshotracing.net/catalog/buell-1125xb9xb12-ebr-1190rs1190rx-keyless-race-gas-fuel-cap-p-868.html
Not affiliated with these guys, never bought anything from them either. Just providing a link is all.

That's the knock-off of the German one EBR sells, right?

I have one, and it leaks like mad. I've gone to a lot of trouble to fix that with better gaskets, etc., but in truth I wish I'd just bought the one EBR sells.

d_adams
11-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Not sure where they're based out of, could be china for all I know.

SX_Bueller
11-08-2015, 08:34 PM
Thanks Dean for the link. I was able to get the pass seat lock worked out and now the key works on all the locks. I still might pick up one of those caps, but will get a reputable one like EBR.

First 200 miles and man is this bike a blast, even in the cold 38deg weather.

SX_Bueller
11-08-2015, 08:36 PM
Separate question - anyone try these bar end weights? Curious what size fits the bars? Wanted to go with the heaviest ones but need to make sure they fit and haven't had much time to try and measure them.

buell-fan
11-08-2015, 09:30 PM
My seat lock tried to eat my key too, at my first track day no less! I got it out and have since got it working smoother by running the key in and out of it a few times. There seems to be something sloppy in there so it will probably eat the key again some time in the future. What did you do with yours to get it fixed? Why do you need bar end weights for your SX? Is your bike transferring a lot of vibes out through them? The bar o.d. is 7/8"

SX_Bueller
11-09-2015, 04:09 PM
I know there are not many vibrations transferred to the handbars, but thought it would take care of two things, sliders and get rid of all the vibrations.

I fixed the lock by spraying some Dupont Teflon in the cylinder about 5-6 times, letting it sit for 30 minutes then cycling the key in and out a couple time. Don't think it will be a permanent fix, but its working for now.

yamatr3
11-10-2015, 06:32 PM
These are the bar ends that I use. www.vibranator.com They work great. Have them on 3 bikes.

SX_Bueller
11-11-2015, 04:14 PM
Does the 1125 weights fit the 1190?