PDA

View Full Version : Muffler mount

Mike
09-01-2015, 08:07 AM
Just a heads up.
Check your front (lower) muffler mount, (left side on mine). At the weld, but on the muffler itself. The welded tab broke.
While changing the oil this weekend, I noticed that the front mount, on the left side was broken. The metal tab/mount broke, the weld is fine..!
Unfortunatly, I don't have any gas for my welder, will have to wait till next weekend.

Mike

noone1569
09-01-2015, 10:10 AM
Yep, that happened to mine, EBR replaced it for me. Now. I replaced the replacement with something substantially lighter.

buell-fan
09-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the heads up Mike. I am going to take mine loose to see of maybe the factory torqued the tabs sideways on install. Aside from a bad weld job, a torqued tab would cause a crack like that to develope. Shimming it so there is not any gap when mocked up should keep it from cracking.

Mike
09-01-2015, 02:48 PM
On mine it's a straight down shift. It hasn't shifted sideways or any type of rotation at all. The broken part of the tab is till tight against the body of the muffler. The way the tab is bolted to the engine case, any "torquing" would be in a clockwise rotation, there is also "no" rotation movement in the break, just straight down.

There's not a current warranty option for me..., it's weld or let it drag the ground..! So...I'll be welding this weekend, after I go buy some gas for my welder.

Mike

buell-fan
09-01-2015, 03:11 PM
How about getting one of those nice aftermarket headers with the merge collector and muffler system, with an ecm tune...

Mike
09-01-2015, 03:58 PM
Na, the current muffler is ALMOST too much for my next door neighbors. Two of their bedrood windows are about 10' from my garage. I leave home at about 4:30 in the morning.
Doesn't add up too well for them, and I don't want to get shot..!

I know how loud that engine is. My 1125CR will wake the dead with its Barker muffler on it... I got kicked out of a parking spot years back when the CR was my daily driver..!

Mike

buell-fan
09-01-2015, 05:01 PM
I know what you mean. I have some Harleys and they are not quiet. I kind of like the quietness of this bike in stock form, though I am going to get a programmable ecm to add some fuel and timing to the thing.

GJB
09-01-2015, 09:21 PM
Yep, Mine are broke too.

Sparky
09-01-2015, 11:25 PM
Checked my SX, s/n 102 CA, today and its front mount bracket is hairline cracked.

A few months ago my bud with an SX told me about him losing the muffler mounting bolt and advised me to check mine ASAP -- mine was loose! So I tightened it up and now the mount is cracked. Seem like that area needs to be redesigned/beefed up.

zviadi
09-02-2015, 01:32 PM
Just a heads up.
Check your front (lower) muffler mount, (left side on mine). At the weld, but on the muffler itself. The welded tab broke.

Similarly, on the left side. Submitted mechanics to weld. Thanks for the warning!