PDA

View Full Version : Chain slap and O2 code

Dynoman
08-21-2015, 07:21 AM
I'm new to EBR as I've just acquired an 1190rx. Bike was "new" at auction in the crate. Once opened up it was a demo bike with 415 miles on the clock. After a bunch of effort to track down why she would not start I got her going. First ride was to Deals Gap (Dragon). I have 2 issues I hope you guys can shed light on.
1. The chain sag is set at 30mm per the book but it seems to miss teeth and jumps and slaps violently until 4500 rpm or so. To travel 62 mph I must run in 4th gear or lower. 5-6th cannot be used for fear of damage. The chain and guide is getting its butt kicked! Ideas?
2. About every 3rd time I fire it up and generally it's a hot start I get an engine code. It's for the front O2 heater. Turn it off it's gone. I assume it's a bad O2 but in my experience it would not come and go, bad is bad. Ideas?

zviadi
08-21-2015, 07:58 AM
2. About every 3rd time I fire it up and generally it's a hot start I get an engine code. It's for the front O2 heater. Turn it off it's gone. I assume it's a bad O2 but in my experience it would not come and go, bad is bad. Ideas?

A similar problem. Do nothing, so I drove nearly 6,000 miles.
Counter-question - how did you know of this inscription on the dash, that the case of O2 sensor?

zviadi
08-21-2015, 08:05 AM
About the chain - until I have never regulated her tension. It is still in the admission. Nothing rattles and slaps, whole teeth. Often fire before rev limiter in the four gears.

Slickit
08-21-2015, 12:01 PM
Dynoamn,

I can say with a high degree of certainty that you probably have very little actually wrong with your bike. As far as error codes and bad behavior while riding under 4,500rpms. (IMO) You simply shouldn't be riding under 4,000rpms, I had the same issues you are having and they cleared themselves up with a slight change in riding habits. I was used to the XBs with a rev limit around 5500rpms so keeping the engine at a lower rpm just felt natural. This bike is not that way, she like it hot and between 4,500 - 8,000rpms for cruising and adjustment speeds. Also if you don't already have a Shorai charger for the battery, that is what seemed to fix some of my erroneous errors (getting the battery voltage up).

Try going out for another ride and just try to get used to keeping the revs over 4k- 4.5k. As far as using 5-6 gear, I have seen those gears on mine for a while now anyway. Besides you can get about 140mph out of 4th anyway.

buell-fan
08-21-2015, 04:11 PM
That chain has went through its initial stretch and wearing in period with the bike's multiple test riders getting on the throttle. You need you tighten it up to within the spec of 30mm +/- 2mm, tightening it up on the low side 28mm and see how it sounds. There was a post about a guy running his at 25mm and it was fine too. I get a lot of slap with only 100 miles on mine and need to tighten my chain up too.

Mike
08-22-2015, 07:05 PM
Easy, just knock it down a gear or two..!
I have about 1 miles worth of 30mph I have to drive on the way to work...first gear works fine. Again, if the chain starts whipping, just drop the trans down a gear or two...simple.
And keep the chain to it's proper tightness.
Every now and again, going slowly, and the chain starts whipping, just pull the clutch in, let everything settle down, let it out and continue on your way...

Mike

zviadi
08-01-2016, 08:12 AM
About two weeks O2 sensor error appears again. Does anyone have the frequent occurrence of this error?
Bike became badly accelerate and vibrate strongly after 7000 rpm. There are suspicions on the spark plugs.
It is unlikely that this is due to the O2 sensor. But want to make an example of other users.
Someone changed O2 sensor?

buell-fan
08-01-2016, 08:18 PM
Zviadi, a user on badweb has has a bad 02 code recently that made his bike run terribly; this is normal. He changed the front, then the rear sensor threw a code, so he's changing that out now.

M1Combat
08-01-2016, 08:43 PM
Tighten the chain. NOW.

zviadi
08-02-2016, 12:25 AM
What does chain? Chain tension is normal.

He changed the front, then the rear sensor threw a code, so he's changing that out now.

From what bike or car approaches O2 sensor? Or OEM only?

zviadi
08-02-2016, 04:48 PM
Today evening motorcycle finally broke down - refused to start. He writes errors of both oxygen sensors. To move and get to the garage had to keep the 7-8 thousand revs cold starting. And run every once had with these revs.
After the engine has warmed all normalized and I run to the garage. Now we have to deal with both oxygen sensors - or something with the wiring, or both to change.

zviadi
08-03-2016, 12:52 AM
user on badweb has has a bad 02 code recently that made his bike run terribly; this is normal. He changed the front, then the rear sensor threw a code, so he's changing that out now.

Thanx!
http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/713493/790395.html?1470014840

I wait what the outcome of his story...

MegaFighterX
08-10-2016, 01:22 AM
regarding chain tension, should I do it on the side stand?

zviadi
08-10-2016, 01:53 AM
I checked the chain tension so - put the motorcycle upright, sit on it and a mechanic with a scale to measure it free play.

Hughlysses
08-10-2016, 06:20 AM
He posted a Bosch part number he got off the actual O2 sensor he removed from his bike, but he says he could not find a Bosch listing for this part number. He does not say where he finally purchased an O2 sensor.

You can read the thread here: http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/713493/790395.html?1470014840

zviadi
08-10-2016, 07:48 AM
Yep. I saw this thread.
At the moment, on my bike trying to replace both the O2 sensors. The main problem - the rear cylinder O2 sensor out of access. He closed heat shield of rear cylinder exhaust pipe. Heat shield is mounted on two bolts - the first unscrewed easily, to the second is not access without removing the engine or swingarm.
What Erik did so - we don't understand... Very difficulty.
Last week I called to the former dealer EBR Russia, he told me (and my mechanic confirmed) that this bike uses universal four-terminal heated O2 sensor Bosch.
When I change both sensors, I write them part number.

zviadi
08-13-2016, 12:42 AM
Ok, removed front O2 sensor yesterday. His partnamber - 0 258 006 956, at the link on badweatherbikers above. However, such a sensor is not in the Bosch parts catalog.
Internet provides evidence, that analogues of this sensor are Bosch LS 6956 or Bosch LSF-4.23 or Kubota 13098-34531.

zviadi
08-22-2016, 01:14 AM
Purchase Bosch 0 258 006 537 from russian vehicles Lada Priora and UAZ Patriot. They are similar EBR, except connector. Connector was removed from the original EBR O2-sensor.
Today we will check the operation of the engine.

buell-fan
08-22-2016, 09:40 AM
Good to hear you are finally getting her back together.

zviadi
08-22-2016, 12:39 PM
Check the engine work with new O2-sensors - all right.
Tomorrow take away my repaired bike.

To remove the front O2 sensor is removed right fan, removed mount bolts of the right radiator and the radiator slightly shifted outward. This opens access to the front sensor.
To remove the rear O2 sensor EBR service video recommends to lower the engine. We removed a front bolt of heat shield and later turn this shield slightly to the side. Then we produced a key on 22 mm in length about 100 mm - just cut off from the usual keys required distance. With such a "stub" we can get to O2 sensor without lower the engine.
Before all the above procedures have to remove airbox and trottles.