PDA

View Full Version : post your marketing and advertising strategies for the EBR brand to survive

buell-fan
08-10-2015, 08:18 PM
Everyone here wants the EBR brand to survive, as do I. And because we all know the brand best, how we came to be educated on Erik Buell's bikes' designs, characteristics, and virtues, we should all share our ideas on how best to market this brand to the general public; as without a general public knowing this brand and buying it then the brand does not survive.

EBR is a new force to be reckoned with at the track and on the street, but word of mouth only gets around so much. We all know word of mouth is good for a good brand and that word around the paddock (winning races) will not sell enough motorcycles at the end of the day to turn a profit without a good marketing and advertising program geared towards the general public (in our buying demographic). How would you guys suggest the EBR brand become just as recognized worldwide, just as the foreign brands are?

Bruce and his team need hear your marketing and advertising suggestions on how to make this brand survive, so post up...

oddball
08-10-2015, 08:52 PM
Maybe a new version of a 20 year old ad you can find on youtube, "Just ride the motorcycle".
Instead of a racing budget, the results of which did not help sales one bit, maybe promoting the brand and track day junky-ism by holding test rides at tracks. Then someone can freely get a feel for the bikes without stoplights or traffic. Ride a brisk, but safe fun speed for a few continuous laps.

Ace117
08-10-2015, 10:39 PM
<div>Well here goes my 2 cents, Im cross posting it from My post in Badweb</div><div> <br>I think it would be a good idea to promote the brand via military sales, what better place to promote than one filled with patriotic individuals that are all for made in USA products. I purchased my first bike ever which was also my first Buell on my first deployment. I left for deployment May of 2008, I was also saving money to buy and R1 that deployment. About 2 months into deployment while walking down the ships mess decks I came across a Navy Autosource sales person. I stopped to see what they had to offer and found out they sold Ford,Chrysler,Harley and BUELL!!!!!!! I was so excited!!!! I originally tried buying an 1125R but for some reason the auto source could not get one for me \imagelink2{http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/clipart/sad.gif,: (} so I bought an Arctic white 2009 XB12R instead! I placed my order and put my deposit down on the spot!. I picked up my new bike after returning from deployment in Nov of 2008, it had 5 miles on it from the test ride after delivery thing, it was brand spanking new!!!. I for one can say that motorcycle ownership is big with military members, all of my buddies on active duty bought motorcycles after deployment. A good porting of my buddies bought sport bikes but the majority bought Harley's. I asked them why and they all told me it was because they were American and because they supported the troops by selling through the Autosource. I know for a fact that if EBR were part of the Autosource lineup the majority of Soldiers,Sailors,Airmen, and Marines would go the EBR route for entry level/sport bikes rather than going with an overseas manufacturer. Most of us that bought bikes during deployment were first time buyer and beginner riders. I for one bought a Buell, because they were American and because I always thought they were cool and different. OH and also because I'm not a cruiser guy and never will be slow, heavy and outdated bikes are not my thing. All military personnel that purchase or plan on purchasing a motorcycle are required to take a motorcycle safety course and we are also required to take a refresher course every year or upon returning from deployment. The course is paid for by the service the member is in and is ran by the MSF. One thing I noticed is that there is a real lack of loaner bikes for beginner riders to take the course. Most times you bring your own bike but a good portion of students are in the market for a bike and do not yet own one at the time of the course. I think an opportunity like this would be just perfect for EBR, it would be a perfect way to get the brand out there and showcase its entry level bikes to young buyers. Having a partnership with the Military and the MSF on top of being an all American company will not only help make EBR a house hold name but it will also help in the marketing department. Most of my buddies and a good amount of people at work that have seen my RX have asked me time and time again why EBR being isn't part of the Military vehicle sales. All I can tell them is I don't know. I know this would do EBR a lot of good, I'm not saying this should be EBRs only marketing champaign but, it should definitely be a part of that marketing campaign.</div>

Veteran92
08-10-2015, 10:51 PM
I second that^
I served in the Army from 2011-2014 with one tour in Afghanistan. Me and my buddies were all about American vehicles. My first bike was an 1125R which served me well until i sold it and bought my RX last March. In my experience most service members I saw bought American but they need to know what's available (like the best superbike ever *ahem* EBR! But perhaps I'm a little biased)

kneepucker
08-11-2015, 11:50 AM
I'll second everything mentioned above, as a disabled vet myself (Iraq war) I can always appreciate the American pride motive. Part of my daily job is also selling my customers on the idea of in-sourcing their manufacturing work back from China to the US, so I only drive american made cars.

I'd also like to mention that roadracing should not be abandoned altogether, but perhaps looked at differently. EBR could offer unbeatable contingency money for privateers running their bikes, and it would still be a fraction of the cost of running a full on EBR factory team. That would get A LOT more bikes on grids across the country, not just on one grid in AMA - and its all results based payouts too, so even if there's 1,000 EBR's on grids out there, only guys hitting the podium are cashing in, and that would be much smaller number. Racer discounts on parts would be a dream come true.....many aftermarket race companies offer separate pricing for licensed racers and I give them lots of business!!!
OR....consider only select events like Pikes Peak/Bonneville Salt Flats/campaigning only COTA/Indy rounds with AMA where there's more fans present, where its a one time event - and you still get lots of press coverage from it - all the websites I frequent (Asphalt & Rubber, Roadracing World, Jalopnik, etc) all give great coverage to those events - and right now its all about getting the press.
Guys like me are really just hurting, waiting for race parts availability.
I truly believe that Race On Sunday, Sell On Monday still exists. There's a reason the new R1's are sold out in Europe and hard to find here.

These bikes (as any supersport or superbike) are purpose built to go around a circuit, not the ride on the street. They need to be proven there first, I think Erik would agree with that statement.

buell-fan
08-11-2015, 12:12 PM
I am all about the unions and union jobs helping the economy. Marketing and advertising to them and their demographic would increase sales and help spread the word also.

Need4speed
08-16-2015, 03:44 PM
There are some very important question to the new owner before anyone can really decide on the marketing direction. What is the EBR brand going to mean? Which motorcycle market are they trying to target? What is the desired growth?
Example: if EBR wants to be a race focused company like Aprilia or Ducati; marketing will be different in the focus then for example if they want to be more like the bike for everyone like a Kawasaki or Suzuki. In my opinion I think Eric was about to turn the corning being a niche Sportbike company. He was getting a lot of press from the motorcycle magazines as well as announcers at superbike races kept his company on the agenda to talk about. Most of that was positive messaging. If racing is the focus then I believe it should be a three pronged attack.
1. Build a bike to compete in the small displacement category. Something to compete against the Ninja 300 and market it as a beginner bike. For marketing purposes I would show young people meeting up on them to show much like the old Honda commercial "you meet the nicest people on" an EBR. Of course without using those words for copy write laws.
2. Hit the middle of the sportbike market and compete against the 600 class bikes. This is where a lot of younger riders that cannot afford a full blown superbike and/or may not be able to get parents to let them have one come into the market. Often if you start on a brand you will stay with it when you move up to your next bike.
3. Finally stay in the Superbike class of racing and stay competitive. Any reading I have done on motorcycle sales for companies that race is: win races on Sunday sells motorcycles on Monday. During the Ducait hey days of winning Superbike races they sold a lot of bikes. Yamaha is doing well with the R1 due to AMA Superbike wins. Unless you want to stay a small company, Superbikes cannot be your only focus.

I think others above had made good points. Make sure people can test ride the bike. Support the military sales programs. Decide what and who you want to be when you grow up. Good luck and I hope EBR becomes a great American motorcycle company with good longevity.

Classax
08-26-2015, 04:31 PM
I’m may be late to the party on this but if I may, I’d like offer a few thoughts. This may be a long post so if you don’t want to read it the jist is, “ focus on and work with your dealers and customers much more closely as your highest priority this time around. Win them and they will win others.” Ducati doesn’t have the most valuable bikes, they have the most rambunctiously loyal customers, and that’s enough to make it perceived their bikes are the best values.
In terms of marketing and the market I think there are several areas that need to be addressed.. Market Segment, Brand Definition, Brand Recognition, & Market Interface. To a certain extent I believe one leads into the other.

Market Segment: In the motorcycle market EBR needs to define exactly which segments and displacements it’s going to conquer. The tops sellers world wide are:
Scooters
Adventure
Sport Tourers
Standard/Naked
Cruisers/Muscle Bikes
Supersports
Superbikes
Hypersports
Electric
I would argue they sell in the US in that order. The segments the company commits to go after will determine the demographics it needs to target. I would caution new thinking needs to go into who the potential buyers are because the market is not what it used to be and motorcyclist as a whole are now tending to be in the late 30s to mid 40s and those with the income and cash to buy at boutique brand prices also happen to be that age or older. So one needs to build a pipe line to your top teir models in each segment. You have an excellent if not somewhat dated superbike at a time when superbikes are going smart in an market in which one must either win the HP war or outperform your rivals on the track. Let’s look at the track market for a moment. There are a couple of primary track activities for a street bike company.
Drag racing
You need only look at all the stretch swing arm abominations at any Urban bike night to know this is an underserved market by the majors
Circuit/ Road
Of these you have categories in ever diminishing pools of potential sales
Trackdays- from newbies to hardcore junkies these guys buy bikes and parts regularly
Club Racers- In the US alone there are over 10 major race organizations with over 500 members each. There is a heavy weight twin and over 40 class in all of them. Selling one or two bikes to a racer in each club would be twice the number of machines you could sell at the regional or professional level combined
Region/National – The reality is with privateers really don’t stand a chance against the full blown factory efforts but they are out there still giving it a go Moto America Superstock 1000 is the place for an RX to prove its metal
Professional – WSK and even MotoAmerica superbike require riders and prototype machines with factory support that quite frankly is an unsustainable model, success here may see you selling 4 bikes to a successful race team.

So assuming you want to play in the most likely to sell segments AND remain true to your racing roots I would say that you must develop machines that will compete in performance, features and desirability in the following sectors :
250-390cc lite weight
600-900cc supersport
1190 superbike
1300 cc Hyper/drag/ sports tourer
So there must be at least four engines and a model line of 10-16 bikes to cover the whole market or 3 engines and 12 models to spread sales across a viable buyers in a narrow and competitive market space.

Brand Definition:
Once we know what markets we THINK we want to attack we need to define who we are which will help us determine why, how or even if we should be in those sectors to begin with. When I look at Buell/EBR I see machines mechanical art forms dictated by functions that seek to address high performance riding through innovatively simple mechanical solutions. I see an ideology born out of the American cocktail of innovation, grit and desire to excel mixed with a passion for motorcycles that “own the corners”. When I see an S1, XB912R or now and 1190 RX these machines sound and look like art yet clearly have a bull in a china chop mentality that makes them as enjoyable to observe as they are to ride. Hands down Buel/EBR makes the best geometry and chassis in the business. Engines have always left a bit to be desired, so one can’t claim a heritage of peak performance based on power per say but rather performance at its peak. So who is EBR. Rather than try to make up an answer I suggest you poll the badweb, this forum, the XB forum and your dealer base as well as aftermarket companies to understand exactly who are the people that bought this bike and why. What do they have in common with each other and how do your designs speak to that commonality. Case in point- I am 6’4 and I find the 1190 RX a roomy and comfortable mount, WHY? I like to think part of that is because it was designed by a 6’ American instead of a 5”4 Italian. Americans tend to be larger than our Japanese, European and Australian brothers. Despite it’s roominess the RX is more compact than the new R1. Its American cut for an American size rider. My point is, you need to find out what portion market segment I represent and are there more of me out there. As a company if EBR is to be Erik Buell Racing (which is in a sense is what we got last go round) or Engineered By Riders then it must determine what mix of Riders. I think the idea of the trilogy of technology and owning the corners need to make a return. I think a comprehensive survey of your current and past customer base is the best way to define who you were and who you are so that you can draw from the best of that in forming who you wish to be in the future. So while I see the EBR as a Engineered By RACING with that applied to the street. I think the brand needs to be defined as much by its customers as it is by its machines. I do find the heritage of bikes that simply destroy corners to be one that I would hold onto. I also would do everything possible to maintain that American Black Sheep persona in the Moto world. After all the EBR is the only race replica certain clubs are allowed to ride. You haven’t lived until you pass a line of Hells Angels on a twisty road only to have them follow you to the local bike spot and receive a nod of respect despite being on a sport bike, to hear them ask questions and dig on your American flag, and the sound and talk about V-twins. We should capitalize on the notion that EBRs are raw, visceral, “Bad Ass” machines, which require “bad ass” skills and “bad ass” owners. There is something there as well about being able to shade tree mechanic and wrench on you own equipment. Ducati run maintenance classes perhaps EBR owners would do the same to learn the quirks that come with owning riding and wrenching on these machines.

Brand Recognition
The flying horse Pegasus is well associated with Buell, I often refer to myself and fellow EBR/Buell guys as “Dead Horse Riders” Erik Buell is a legend in the Moto community BUT the bikes suffer from a reputation of being underpowered, weak braked, and unreliable (machines and Company). As far as power goes peak power wins magazine ratings but good riders win races. Even if the RX had 20 more HP it still wouldn’t win that war, without changing to a V4 (which I’d buy) or going all Panigale by cheating itself of torque or cheating out right by adding displacement. While there are (5) I4 and (2) triples to marques choose from EBR is the only real alternative to Ducati for a V twin superbike and the EBR is the only classic big bore high torque machine on the market with KTM getting out of race replicas and the 1299 not viable for racing . With 7 HP less than the new R1 and the ability to get off a corner harder than just about anyone, the ET-VT needs to establish its own niche as the ultimate street and trackday mix. Race proven street gear… Explain where the value is found, great information like adjustable cams, Mach 1 windscreens, chain tensioners, and ease of maintenance was left un touted and could have been a differentiator on price point. I don’t believe you would want to abandon the Buell legacy and EBR name but a real effort must be made to get some better than “good first try” press. The bike I own seems raw and parts of it seem cheap. Interestingly those items are things I would have or would upgrade straight off if I were racing anyway. The big money was spent where it matters most and that same approach needs to become part of the identity of EBR and what it is recognized for. How to do this again I would turn to my current and former customers to see what worked and what didn’t and why.

Classax
08-26-2015, 04:32 PM
Market Interface
So the four Ps of Marketing are Product, Placement, Price and Promotion (I think, I’m not a marketing guy, I’m a Supply Chain guy). EBR offers an amazing product that had it hit the market in 2012 would have been a game changer and perhaps unseated the Panigale as the bike of the year. As it is two years later mechanically it may well be equal to the 1199 but the technology customers expect is lacking. No quickshifter, no telemetry, no wifi, no GPS. In this day and age a bike marketed to the club racer that has a simple to use interface that could be downloaded to a smart device after a few laps to help the rider OWN the corners, with coaching that help them to know hey TC came on here and here roll on the gas slower there or no slippage roll on quicker here or ect, would have made the product more desirable and usable. EBR in my opinion did a terrible job on placement; Captain America should be riding an EBR, President Obama should have had his first motorcycle ride on an EBR, the terminator should be on a EBR, the company simply wasn’t visible enough and the mis information about the bikes lingered too long. To this day I still run into people who don’t know that the bikes don’t cost $40K! We live in the information age, but when it comes to moving products or getting elected it’s the Low Information Consumer you need to target. Your deal with Pegram and Superbike Family might have been a great stroke if it hadn’t fallen apart before it was ready. EBR is a grass roots type company, so it needs to spend its money winning over the grass roots buyers. When the demo truck was in Houston, I felt great as a customer to have a tour of the rig, my photo taken, my bike checked, my suspension set up. The Corey West tour shocked a lot of guys I know who because of my NON expert Racer skills I was unable to show them what the bikes are really capable of. Yet your dealers in Houston had NO signage outside. The internet page was NOT kept up to date with breaking news, nor was there an owners portal with insider knowledge on living with an RX or SX as the case may be. Facebook is not the best use of advertising who you are, its a good way to reach people who already know who you are with time sensitive event news but that’s it. Bike Nights, Dealer Nights, ect… Not one time did I receive an email to come to my local EBR dealer to cheer on EBR in WSBk at an EBR watch party( I get them from Aprilia and Ducati and in many instances these are the same dealers who carried EBR) Nearly two years into my purchase and still no one has sent me a survey to see what I think of the machine. You can’t afford to be so secretive with your customers and dealers. Treat them right and they will get the bikes into the right places. The best praise you could have ever have gotten would have been “ the bikes are OK, but their customer service and owner experience is a whole other level”. Instead the opposite was sadly true. Tapping into the whole American made thing should have seen you coordinating with the Military sales groups to provide the bikes at slight discount to service men who typically buy American. The performance aspect could have seen you setting up low price track days or partnering with various organizations to get x number of track days off or discount codes. Most of all in the age of youtube there is NO reason there is not an official EBR factory sales video explaining the features and unique ideas behind the technology and being and EBR owner. In short you let other people tell your story in a day and age when you can reach as many people as major media can yourself. You don’t need to buy air time when you can produce your own movies and go directly to the public.
In short communicate and support your customers and dealers better than the other guys and they will sell you product for you. Just my unqualified opinions.

Ace117
08-26-2015, 05:44 PM
++++++1 Classax

pytalkamus
09-06-2015, 05:48 PM
The military discount is a great idea. These men and women are as patriotic as they come and we should build on that. I hear people say that built in the U.S. doesnt matter anymore. To that, I say bull****. My wife and I have three sons. If they want to design or build motorcycles when they grow up, it matters. Please don't say they could go to work in Milwaukee; I said motorcycles, not tractors. For the men and women in East Troy, it matters. EBR has built high performance machines that go toe to toe with anything from Europe or Asian. The point needs to be driven home that these machines aren't from Europe or Asian, they're from right here. I believe that all men and women, regardless of nationality, are equal. But in the modern global market this is a competition and I want America to win. There isn't anything wrong with that. EBR should "rally the troops." We're identified by our innovation and determination. I'm pretty sure if ten years from now you google either of those words you'll quickly find Erik Buell. EBR should market those ideals. "Designed with American ingenuity, built and ridden with American grit." Marketing last year was almost nonexistent. Ads in cycle world should be a given. Not nice guy ads, but in your face ads. Put Chuck Norris on an EBR cooking the rear tire. Any current or former iconic American racer would be great. Make it crystal clear that EBR makes the ONLY American super bikes and they kick some ass. Use the current Faithful to build the customer experience. Have new buyers submit their email address and forward it to this forum. I doubt you'll find a more welcoming and open "club" anywhere. Make it clear that these bikes are made to be ridden and abused. The Italian super bike company has earned a reputation for building high performance motorcycles, but they're "dainty." Exploit the fact that they serve espresso at their hospitality tents (this is no ****). I love my camo EBR hat. American motorcycle riders have grease under their nails, not in their hair. We should all be proud of that. Bruce just might be the best thing that could have happened to EBR. I have the impression that he's living the American dream and isn't about to apologize for it. It doesn't get much more American than Jersey. Home of The Boss and next door to the Ramones. EBR needs to become synonymous with those sort of American icons. I didn't just buy my EBR for the high performance machine that it is. My money was a vote for what I think matters for our future. I don't think for a moment that I'm the only one.

Sparky
09-07-2015, 01:30 PM
I'll second the Military Discount thing by the mfgr.

This is something that dealers can promote too. Actually when I was visiting dealers looking for the best deal on an SX, I remembered what my friend who is an Army Veteran said about asking for discounts to veterans while shopping for a new bike. Invariably he would get a better deal when he showed his VA card. So when I asked one dealer if he would offer some kind of consideration to a Veteran (me), the Sales Manager (also a Veteran) knocked $1000 off their asking price and that clinched the deal for me.

86bgn
09-09-2015, 11:43 AM
My only advise is....

1) Buell, and EBR had some of the best magazine ads, and video advertisements i have ever seen for a motorcycle company, keep that up.
2) Bikes like the Lightning, and my personal favorite, the Super TT, had so much attitude there was nothing else that compared. I loved the racing history, and the engineering masterpieces that were part of Buell / EBR, but the urban assault vehicle- street fighter image is what sold me over and over again.
3) Organize area groups of Buell, EBR riders. Places like Kansas City used to have a huge Buell following, now most have all disappeared into the cracks

My 2 cents