PDA

View Full Version : PC5 VS IDSPD ECM VS EBR RACE ECM VS Other?

Plotter
07-31-2015, 04:12 PM
I'm trying to decide the best path for my fuel mapping. I know what the different options are, but I don't think there is one place that lays out the pros and cons of the different options. I have purchased the Dean Adams exhaust, and I'm waiting for it to come in. I believe I will eventually put on a quick shifter, so an option that includes expandability for that is preferred.

PC5 doesn't modify the ignition timing, but they have a map for the Dean Adams exhaust, and they have an option to add the quick shifter...

IDSPD doesn't have a map for Dean's exhaust yet, so I'd have to get the fully adjustable and then map it, or wait for Dean to finish mapping it.. Not sure if this has quick shifter options..

The Race ECM is not currently available except through IDSPD, again I'd have to map it. Not sure if there are other options for this, and not sure if they have an optional quick shifter add on...

Bazzaz, not sure.. haven't read much about this option, if it does exist..

Other?

Please assist...

Mike
08-01-2015, 04:07 PM
Only one as far as I'm concerned...
And I believe you know what it is also...

Timing aids in more power thAn fuel does..!
Plus all of it's other variables possible.
You do it easy, you'll never get the best it can be.

Mike

d_adams
08-01-2015, 06:10 PM
If I'm not mistaken, you CAN use a quick shifter on the idspd ecm (ebr race ecm) but I'd email Tim to verify. They supply the ecm with 3 maps. Stock, stock with secondary removed and hmf. The hmf tune is a good place to start out at, but they recommended adding 15% more fuel to play it safe with my exhaust. I think that may be a bit much based on what I'm seeing via the wideband sensor displays, although I am testing/running the long tube exhaust right now. I'd target an afr under 13:1 for the 1190 (and the 1125 as well for that matter) so keep that in mind. PC-v was done at 13.5:1 so they left a little on the table in my opinion.

Plotter
08-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Only one as far as I'm concerned...
And I believe you know what it is also...

Timing aids in more power thAn fuel does..!
Plus all of it's other variables possible.
You do it easy, you'll never get the best it can be.

Mike

I guess my fear is that I've never done that level of customization before... I don't know how it's supposed to look like, or how to actually do the mapping... As long as I don't do something that actually hurts my bike then I'm ok... I'd just prefer to stand on the shoulders of giants and use what's already been perfected by the professionals and those that know more than me...

bthibodeaux
08-04-2015, 03:28 PM
I guess my fear is that I've never done that level of customization before... I don't know how it's supposed to look like, or how to actually do the mapping... As long as I don't do something that actually hurts my bike then I'm ok... I'd just prefer to stand on the shoulders of giants and use what's already been perfected by the professionals and those that know more than me...

You can always bring your bike to a shop with a Dyno and have them do the tuning for you. You are not too far from Houston. Houston Superbikes is a very capable shop that does a good job.

Mike
08-04-2015, 09:13 PM
Problem is...unless the operator is "VERY" well versed in tuning, and knows his dyno well, all you'll get is "full throttle" tests...means nothing positive !
On one hand Plotter is correct in his assumption. Assumption #2, how good a job did the Buell gang do in making up the "Muffler Delete" or the other map ?

In my opinion, from idle to about 4500 it's "different" but only slightly better than the original mapping. But from 4500 thru redline, the "Muffler Delete" mapping is very nice, both in steady state rpm (cruising), and acceleration. Cruising at 90 is very nice, smooth, acceleration from there up is also nice. In my opinion, it still needs help in the lower rpm range.
The "normal" dyno operator most likely isn't gonna know how to do steady state rpm efficiently.
The guy that knows how to do this, also isn't gonna be cheap...I'd guess...

I'm tackling mine myself. Since I drive mine every day (during the week), thru the same basic traffic patterns, I see/feel the deficiencies. I did a good job on my XB1200, I did a pretty good job on my 1125CR , we'll see how well my butt dyno still works for the RX.

Mike