PDA

View Full Version : EBR, "Muffler Delete" ECM

Mike
07-25-2015, 10:09 PM
I actually bought the adjustable ECM from the guys at "idspd", but I had them install the EBR Muffler Delete maps. I wanted to see how well this mapping worked before I start messing with it..!

While I only put a few miles on it this morning, and while it's still not perfect, it is MUCH better than the stock mapping.
The low speed driveability is much improved, the low and mid acceleration is much improved. Medium acceleration from low rpm' and mid rpms to about 6000rpm is smother and cleaner than the original mapping. Driving at 5000 and 6000 in first and second is very clean and smooth. I'll find out about the full throttle acceleration on Monday morning..!

Overall horsepower...I really don't care. I'm not drag racing, nor am I gonna dyno tune it to death, it's a daily driver that needs to properly work from low rpm's to higher rpm's, split lanes well, go slow well, etc., etc.
Some canyon work will come in a few weeks...

This is just to say, if you are on the proverbial fence about buying this $300 ECM, it's well worth the money.

http://idspd.com/xcart/

Mike

Plotter
07-25-2015, 10:45 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the information about this ECM. I just reached out to them trying to figure out what options they have for the Dean Adams exhaust. It wasn't even an hour later Andrew replied and I am now waiting to hear more from Tim tomorrow. Great guys, great customer support.

Are you planning on adjusting anything with yours, or are you good? If so, I will pull the trigger... How did the exhaust look on your bike?

Mike
07-27-2015, 07:43 AM
I wasn't going to say anything till tonight when I "finished" my daily trek to work and back...as you can see...

After a short 30mph drive thru town and a 70 to 85mph drive to work...

Any of you with the EBR 1190 powered bike that has not...bought one of these (Muffler Delete) ECM's..."NEEDS" to. You are doing the engine and yourself a diservice if you do not. Everything about the way the engine runs is different. From my 30mph (bout 1 mile) drive thru town, to 40 and 60 to 80mph roll-ons...to lifting the front wheel getting on the freeway at about 90mph...yea, the handlebars went limp at about 90 in first gear. Never happened before.

"MORE" than worth the $300 and the ten minutes to hook it up and remove the outer muffler. No other work needed.

Plotter -
Don't know yet, but knowing me, yea, I'll probably mess with it a bit, but as of this morning, not as much as I tought.
"How did the exhaust look...?"
What do you mean ? As of now I have no tips in place. I have a couple of ideas I'm thinking of.
Or do you mean the color..? Saturdays cruise wasn't long enough to put any new color in the pipes.

The sound without the second muffler is nice. Deeper tone, throaty sound without being too loud (??) for my neighbors at 4:30 in the morning.

Mike

bthibodeaux
07-27-2015, 09:59 AM
Great info! Thanks man.

Plotter
07-27-2015, 01:45 PM
I wasn't going to say anything till tonight when I "finished" my daily trek to work and back...as you can see...

After a short 30mph drive thru town and a 70 to 85mph drive to work...

Any of you with the EBR 1190 powered bike that has not...bought one of these (Muffler Delete) ECM's..."NEEDS" to. You are doing the engine and yourself a diservice if you do not. Everything about the way the engine runs is different. From my 30mph (bout 1 mile) drive thru town, to 40 and 60 to 80mph roll-ons...to lifting the front wheel getting on the freeway at about 90mph...yea, the handlebars went limp at about 90 in first gear. Never happened before.

"MORE" than worth the $300 and the ten minutes to hook it up and remove the outer muffler. No other work needed.

Plotter -
Don't know yet, but knowing me, yea, I'll probably mess with it a bit, but as of this morning, not as much as I tought.
"How did the exhaust look...?"
What do you mean ? As of now I have no tips in place. I have a couple of ideas I'm thinking of.
Or do you mean the color..? Saturdays cruise wasn't long enough to put any new color in the pipes.

The sound without the second muffler is nice. Deeper tone, throaty sound without being too loud (??) for my neighbors at 4:30 in the morning.

Mike

Mike,

I was under the impression that you purchased and installed a Dean Adams exhaust. It sounds like you just pulled the secondary off and are going without the tips.

Mike
07-27-2015, 02:03 PM
Correct.

I have a Barker exh. on my 1125CR. It's "WAY"...too loud for me to be starting at 4:30 in the morning without getting shot..! I assume Deans exhaust is simillar..!

Mike

Plotter
07-27-2015, 03:46 PM
Correct.

I have a Barker exh. on my 1125CR. It's "WAY"...too loud for me to be starting at 4:30 in the morning without getting shot..! I assume Deans exhaust is simillar..!

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1fopn8K73E

I would have to agree, but now that I've heard it, I gotta have it :FIREdevil:

Based upon the tip, I think this might be the 1190RS though...

Dean, please confirm the video contents.

bthibodeaux
07-27-2015, 03:51 PM
This is just to say, if you are on the proverbial fence about buying this $300 ECM, it's well worth the money.

Mike

Their website is showing the adjustable version to cost $630?

Plotter
07-27-2015, 04:36 PM
Their website is showing the adjustable version to cost $630?

Mike is referencing the 300 dollar version for secondary delete.

Mike purchased the 630 fully adjustable version, but had them load the maps for the secondary delete and tried it out.

d_adams
07-27-2015, 05:20 PM
The video above is on my 1190 RX. Outlet is the same on both the RS, RX and SX. I'm not offering any options for the outlet on it. Straight cut outlets only on them.

I did build a long tube version of the RX exhaust, it's not quite as loud as the short version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuD7KtoR-B8

Blwngto
07-27-2015, 08:56 PM
Everything Mike said above I agree. Installed mine tonight and this is how I hoped the bike would run when I bought it! Sounds great and far worth the $300 plus the customer service was awesome too. Now if my tips would come in it'll be complete. Only things needed to be perfect in my mind now is the pesky low fuel light and the dang clock resetting back 1 hour every 3 days.

Mike
07-28-2015, 08:19 AM
Blwngto -

Have you tried using the Shorai battery charger ?
Both my clock and traction control would reset itself occasionally. After getting their charger and using it once a week, it hasn't reset itself since about the third week, which was about 8 weeks ago.

Another thing I've noticed with this ECM, is that there is hardly no engine braking. I'm gonna alter that some...
Also, in the midrange rpm's (don't know exactly where yet), it's running a little richer than I'd like. I can feel it in my butt dyno and there's too much soot is in the exhaust. Not "bad", just too much for my liking. Now to find out at what rpms and throttle openings..!

Many of these locations are very difficult to find on a dyno. Since these aren't a "full throttle" problem, but a "partial throttle" situation. May take some messen with the mapping.

Still very happy with the purchase on my second day. And yes, the "splitting lanes" afternoon was more driveable, easier to control the throttle with this ECM.

Much less hunting or jerking of the engine/chain.

Mike

buell-fan
07-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Blwngto -

Have you tried using the Shorai battery charger ?
Both my clock and traction control would reset itself occasionally. After getting their charger and using it once a week, it hasn't reset itself since about the third week, which was about 8 weeks ago.

Much less hunting or jerking of the engine/chain.

Mike

Mike, was your battery going dead on you? Is this an ongoing issue with the 1190's? I saw another one at a dealer that was needing charged from sitting in the dealers.

Mike
07-28-2015, 12:00 PM
Buell-fan -

Not that I know of.
I was told by the Shorai guys that for the best "overall" health of the battery, that they should be charged with their type charger every month or so. A "normal" charger and the charging system in the engine, does not "balance" the cells, just a general overall charge. Their charger has several small wires going into the battery rather than one each at the +/- posts
They said that a balanced charge should make the battery last a lot longer. I haven't noticed any difference in the actual starting power since I started using it. Just a hedge bet because of using the bike for daily use.

BUT...as we all know, laptop computer battery assemblies can die at any time..! And they are of the same basic battery as the current crop of lithium/ion batteries we have available for bikes.

Mike

Mike
07-28-2015, 12:04 PM
Buell-fan -

P.S. -
One...I like your "location" comment. "On a curvy road by a drag strip".
Sounds like a great place to live..!

And two...
The Shorai guys also said that these batterys have a long shelf life. I also asked that quiestion.

Mike

snacktoast
07-28-2015, 12:09 PM
The benefit to the Shorai charger vs. a straight rate charger is that it will balance the voltage of the cells in the battery, which is very important to battery life.
The Shorai batteries rest at a higher voltage when 100% charged compared to lead-acid batteries, and most battery maintainers (Battery Tender, etc.) will not achieve this 100% charge state when they are used on the Shorai.

Yes, the Shorai battery has EXCELLENT shelf life...when there is no voltage draw on it. I think I remember something like less than 10% discharge over the course of a year when there is no draw on it.
Just like any battery that is connected to electronics, there is always a slight draw on the system - on the RX, I believe it's 3 or 4 milliamps. But, given enough time, it will discharge the battery. When this happens, it can be difficult to get the battery to bounce back, hence Shorai's recommendation to use the battery management system charger occasionally.

Blwngto
07-28-2015, 03:38 PM
Mike,

Yes I use the battery charger its hooked up after every ride, has been since I purchased the bike.

I like the reduced engine braking on the new ecm much better than the factory ecm. The throttle response is much better in the mid range but I agree with the mid range richness, not too bad but its there.

buell-fan
07-28-2015, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the response on the charging issue guys. I saw three dead batteries last week and was disappointed, to say the least. The dealer would have had a sale had they been running.

What is up with them having leaky oil fittings and sensor holes from the factory? Anyone have these issues with your new bikes too?

buell-fan
07-28-2015, 07:05 PM
Buell-fan -

P.S. -
One...I like your "location" comment. "On a curvy road by a drag strip".
Sounds like a great place to live..!

Mike

Thanks Mike. It is a great place to live. I have one of Eric's original masterpieces, an FXR, that I throw around the curves and also drag race for fun.

snacktoast
07-28-2015, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the response on the charging issue guys. I saw three dead batteries last week and was disappointed, to say the least. The dealer would have had a sale had they been running.

What is up with them having leaky oil fittings and sensor holes from the factory? Anyone have these issues with your new bikes too?

Shame on the dealer for not doing proper battery maintenance.
No doubt they will try to "warranty" these batteries instead learning from their own incompetence. :backhand:

Which oil fittings are you referring to? The oil cooler?
If so, it's likely residual from assembly at the factory.

What sensor holes are you talking about?

Mike
07-28-2015, 08:07 PM
Well...I have found two bad things about this ECM.

1. I'll be going thru rear tires much faster.
2. I'll be going thru front brakes and tires much faster. Hard on the gas in 5pm traffic requires much more, hard front brake use..!

Mike

snacktoast
07-28-2015, 08:13 PM
Well...I have found two bad things about this ECM.

1. I'll be going thru rear tires much faster.
2. I'll be going thru front brakes and tires much faster. Hard on the gas in 5pm traffic requires much more, hard front brake use..!

Mike

1st world problems right there! :thumb:

buell-fan
07-28-2015, 08:29 PM
It is a small, nearly flush mounted unit on the side of the case with one small wire attached. The left side of the bike I think, and by the back jug/gear box area. They had two bikes with two different leaks it appeared.

snacktoast
07-28-2015, 08:41 PM
It is a small, nearly flush mounted unit on the side of the case with one small wire attached. The left side of the bike I think, and by the back jug/gear box area. They had two bikes with two different leaks it appeared.

I'm guessing you're talking about the stator plug/wiring coming from the stator cover area.
It was sealed with a loctite blue RTV sealant.
Don't think it's terrible common for them to leak either.

EBRRider
02-19-2017, 12:22 PM
I actually bought the adjustable ECM from the guys at "idspd", but I had them install the EBR Muffler Delete maps. I wanted to see how well this mapping worked before I start messing with it..!

While I only put a few miles on it this morning, and while it's still not perfect, it is MUCH better than the stock mapping.
The low speed driveability is much improved, the low and mid acceleration is much improved. Medium acceleration from low rpm' and mid rpms to about 6000rpm is smother and cleaner than the original mapping. Driving at 5000 and 6000 in first and second is very clean and smooth. I'll find out about the full throttle acceleration on Monday morning..!

Overall horsepower...I really don't care. I'm not drag racing, nor am I gonna dyno tune it to death, it's a daily driver that needs to properly work from low rpm's to higher rpm's, split lanes well, go slow well, etc., etc.
Some canyon work will come in a few weeks...

Mike

Mike, thanks for the review on the Muff delete ECM, I have one coming from a board member tracker, anxious to plug it in !:bannana:

Kid Thunder
02-20-2017, 12:14 AM
I read somewhere that the lithium ion batteries need to warm to supply top output. When my bike was delivered it was quite cold. The truck driver wanted to wait to make sure that the bike started before he left because the last one he delivered took forever to start. Well I tried it a couple of times & it was a no go. I told him that I needed to leave the key on for awhile to warm up the battery. He said no way it will run it down. So I left it on & walked away. Came back & cranked it & it sounded better. Second time it started to pop & he looked astonished at me & yelled "It's going to start." I smiled & cranked it one more time & it ran! He said "Damn, you learn something every day!" He said he would remember that.
The battery appears to warm up to max charge then of course if you leave on to long it goes down the other side.