PDA

View Full Version : Loss of Communication on Display

AClausing
07-20-2015, 12:30 PM
I have a black EBR 1190RX that has been giving me a loss of communication on the display. When this happens my display does not show my speed, RPMS, miles, nothing. The display is on and the main display image is shown however no information from the engine.

Any thoughts?

I will try to get a picture of it tonight when I get home.

ReadyXB
07-20-2015, 12:53 PM
How consistently does this happen?

One harmless test you can do is to fully unplug and then re-seat the console connector. You might have to remove the windscreen to gain access.

AClausing
07-20-2015, 01:46 PM
How consistently does this happen?

One harmless test you can do is to fully unplug and then re-seat the console connector. You might have to remove the windscreen to gain access.

This happens a lot. When idle, when riding, when ever its on. I don't lose power but could not tell you if TC is working.

I plan to attempt that tonight and see how it goes. (Remove windscreen and check connectors)

AClausing
07-21-2015, 10:26 AM
Here is a picture of what it says.. 462

ReadyXB
07-22-2015, 10:31 PM
Hmm... I would definitely try to re-seat the connector and rule that out. I don't have a service manual, so I'm not sure if there is a certain single cause. Given that you've had front O2 sensor code also, there could be an ECM issue or poor connection at the ECM. The ECM is easy to access under the seat - again, unplugging and re-seating the two connections there (after removing the negative battery cable) is an easy test.

Given that this is the first model year, it's not unheard of to have firmware issues also.

AClausing
07-23-2015, 09:39 AM
ReadyXB, Thanks for the information to attempt. I did remove the connectors from the display and I will remove the and check the connectors under the seat tonight. Will update.

GJB
07-23-2015, 10:55 PM
I have the exact same problem. Dash vary rarely displays info. Am interested to know if others have overcome this issue.

AClausing
07-27-2015, 03:58 PM
I am trying to find a new display unit. It looks like the issue is from there. Moving the wires does not resolve the issue but if I hold the display the right way it clears the fault and shows data.

snacktoast
07-27-2015, 05:14 PM
Definitely an instrument cluster problem if you are intermittently seeing a loss of data.

AClausing
07-27-2015, 08:03 PM
snacktoast, that is what I am thinking. Anyone want to pull one off of their EBR1190RX and loan to me? I will ship it back and pay shipping both ways. I will even put down a deposit. I am not near any dealers that can help me with this.

Blwngto
07-27-2015, 09:59 PM
Do you have access to the wiring schematics for the main harness going to the cluster? In most cases a communication loss is a loss of data passing over the data "back bone". I deal with comms loss issues almost weekly at work and it is 99% always in the data back bone. I would start looking at all the connectors on the harness as well as the harness itself for any chafing, rubbing, extra tight beds t stretching from the ecm to the cluster. Not sure if these bikes have any terminating resistors in the harness or not, if they do then this can also cause comms loss issues.

snacktoast
07-27-2015, 10:22 PM
Generally the problems with the clusters were found to be internal problems in the cluster on these bikes.
Typically the tell-tale sign was similar to the picture posted earlier - "communication error" with an "X" displayed as well as at times a loss of speedometer or tachometer function accompanying it.

The only tight bend in the harness in relation to the cluster wiring is at the cluster itself.
There are two locations for terminating resistors - 1 of which is in the tail and only 1 is required.

zviadi
07-28-2015, 04:33 AM
Check with multimetrer auxiliary fuses (visual inspection is not enough). Same situation with the dashboard I had to DD1200.

Blwngto
07-28-2015, 03:41 PM
Generally the problems with the clusters were found to be internal problems in the cluster on these bikes.
Typically the tell-tale sign was similar to the picture posted earlier - "communication error" with an "X" displayed as well as at times a loss of speedometer or tachometer function accompanying it.

The only tight bend in the harness in relation to the cluster wiring is at the cluster itself.
There are two locations for terminating resistors - 1 of which is in the tail and only 1 is required.

Good info to know thanks. Strange about the clusters going bad, my company uses the same manufacturer for some of our screens and they hardly ever crap out.

AClausing
07-29-2015, 09:20 AM
Anyone got a part number through Parts Unlimited for this display?

noone1569
07-29-2015, 09:44 AM
Y0500.1B7 INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, MPH/KMH 1

This is all I've got in the parts diagram, it's not even listed in my cost list

AClausing
07-29-2015, 10:03 AM
Yeah, thats the same thing I came up with.. Now to get a hold of a Parts Unlimited retailer and see if this works for a part number.

AClausing
07-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Noone,

This part number did not bring anything up from Parts Unlimited. We also tried Y0500.1B6 and Y05001B9 (both numbers we found in different PDFs')

Any other thoughts?

snacktoast
07-29-2015, 10:25 AM
This was a part that came direct from EBR when it was ordered.
Same with a stock ECM.

Hughlysses
07-29-2015, 11:06 AM
I am trying to find a new display unit. It looks like the issue is from there. Moving the wires does not resolve the issue but if I hold the display the right way it clears the fault and shows data.

That sounds like something simple like a bad solder joint inside the display. That would probably be easy to fix if you're proficient with a soldering iron and can get the display case apart without breaking it. Just re-flow all the suspect joints; the bad joint might even be obvious.

AClausing
07-29-2015, 04:12 PM
So finding this part might not be something I can do.

Hughlysses, I have a warranty still on my EBR that I bought through another company. I don't want to void that one :D

Hughlysses
07-30-2015, 08:48 AM
So finding this part might not be something I can do.

Hughlysses, I have a warranty still on my EBR that I bought through another company. I don't want to void that one :D

If he can't get a replacement part, maybe you can convince the dealer to try the fix. Several people have repaired "bad" ECM's in the same way. Of course, hopefully a week from now we'll get great news that EBR is back in business, all factory warranties will be honored, and you'll have a new display a few days later.

AClausing
07-31-2015, 03:38 PM
What fix? Like take it to a 3M shop?

snacktoast
07-31-2015, 03:50 PM
What fix are you referring to.
If it's an internal problem with the cluster, such as a bad connection on the PC board, it's gonna take some surgery to fix it.

QtheBUELLIGAN
09-27-2015, 09:08 PM
anyone figure diagnose this at home? Even if its some soldering inside the Cluster? I'm getting the Communication errors everyride now.

buell-fan
09-27-2015, 10:30 PM
Q, aren't you running a new race ecm now? You sould switch it back to the OEM unit and see if it throws the same communications error code. If it does throw the code still then the problem is in the communications screen or possibly the wiring harness where it bends in the front. If it doesn't throw the code then the issue is in the new ecm you have and the problem is solved.

Doosh
09-28-2015, 01:50 PM
One of the causes has been reported to be bad grounds. I have the issue on my bike, as well as a faulty speed sensor, and I've checked the obvious ground connections -- at the chassis and the steering head -- with no luck.

QtheBUELLIGAN
09-28-2015, 10:43 PM
rock and roll. Thanks Buell-Fan. I'll give that a swap when I get home in the morning. gooooood thinking brother.

GJB
10-06-2015, 09:30 PM
I have figured out the problem for my loss of communication on the display. It started out as being intermittent and turned into never displaying info. The fault also prevented me from being able to change TC. While troubleshooting I found if I pushed the connector very hard into the socket it would work, as soon as pressure was relieved it stopped. I investigated more thinking that the pin engagement was inadequate, but that was not it. I removed the back of the case and plugged in the connector with nothing to stop it from engaging. Same situation. Seems like the issue is in the male socket mounted to the board. I dont exactly know what to do about it. I could make a fixture that always applies pressure to the plug, but that seems a little crude......

Sparky
10-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Perhaps a dab of superglue applied sparingly at the edge of the socket might hold it.

buell-fan
10-07-2015, 06:36 PM
I have figured out the problem for my loss of communication on the display. It started out as being intermittent and turned into never displaying info. The fault also prevented me from being able to change TC. While troubleshooting I found if I pushed the connector very hard into the socket it would work, as soon as pressure was relieved it stopped. I investigated more thinking that the pin engagement was inadequate, but that was not it. I removed the back of the case and plugged in the connector with nothing to stop it from engaging. Same situation. Seems like the issue is in the male socket mounted to the board. I dont exactly know what to do about it. I could make a fixture that always applies pressure to the plug, but that seems a little crude......

It sounds like there is a bad connection on the board that needs to be re-soldered. An old school computer repair business may be able to fix that easily enough. Or, when you take it apart further you may find that the pin connector is mated to a ribbon strip that is loose and only needs plugged back onto the board.

zviadi
10-12-2015, 02:12 PM
Today I have the same thing happened. Initially, the bike stalled at idle, I went out all electrical equipment. I tried to run it, and on the dashboard there is an inscription ''Communication error". After a few seconds the inscription disappeared. Tachometer, speedometer and actual gear are displayed normally.
About an hour later I was again stalled idling, and come again, and after a while lost inscription ''Communication error". I looked in the memory error and current error - they are not.
Air temperature here is +4...+5 degrees Celsius. I do not know whether these things together - communication error and attempts to stall the bike at idle.

I want to check the ground terminal. Where is it located?

rocketjump
10-12-2015, 09:20 PM
Happened to me today, Loss of communication intermittenly in the bottom right. i was wondering why my TC kept on resetting, now i have my answer.

zviadi
10-13-2015, 12:26 AM
I did not reset, just for a while, appears in the bottom right twice, and then she disappeared.

QtheBUELLIGAN
10-19-2015, 10:13 PM
Add me as a member of this club. No Communication has gone from intermittent to constant. If I push gently anywhere on the front bezel while the display is still mounted to the bike, Comm is restored while I am pushing. When I lift my finger it goes back to No Comm. If I reach behind and give the plug a good push inwards toward the display, Comm is restored for a few minutes until the vibration of the bike loosens back up. Bummer. One I get the patience to take her out of service for a couple days, I'll pull the display apart and look for some bad solder joints to repair. and any other improvements I might be able to make.....
ugh.

zviadi
10-20-2015, 02:19 AM
I think, that this inscription appears at power failure or insufficient power on the dash. In my case it is drop the amperage of battery when starting the engine.
Yesterday, when the engine is started again, there was this inscription, the motorcycle was in the garage overnight at a temperature of about +4...+5 Celsius. A week ago I examined the connector dashboard and found nothing unusual.

Speedy13
10-22-2015, 05:42 PM
Has anybody found somebody willing to repair the dashboards? I emailed the manufacturer and was told they can't. Call a dealer or EBR. I work for an EBR dealer, MCC in Villa Park,IL. I haven't been able to find a replacement at Parts Unlimited

AKA Marco
11-21-2015, 06:45 PM
i bump this thread up because it has done it to me tonight, first time, i went in the garage turn ignition on and error was there...few seconds and it went away...didn't do it this afternoon though when i was fiddling with the bike, fitting new parts.... maybe a clue like Zviadi says, it was cold tonight +4...will go for a ride tomorrow and see if it comes again...are you guys still getting the error? have you fixed it?

cheers

Marco

zviadi
11-23-2015, 01:31 AM
I don't ride this year - is snowing...
Last time ride on my bike November 3 - errors on the dash was not. The air temperature was cold.
I don't know the reason... I will not do anything, the only dealer in my country is far away 700 km, the error on the dash will not affect the speed.
Look at the main cable to the left under the seat - perhaps the inner side of the seat rubs against it and some of the cables could grind.

GJB
11-23-2015, 09:44 PM
I spoke to a EBR mechanic this weekend. He told me the dash errors was a frequent problem. They would send them back for repair and then they would work OK. It would be nice to know what they did.

mbfj40
05-22-2018, 10:39 AM
Any new and improved options for correcting the Comm Error? I got my first one a few days back, 2014 SX #168, 2000 miles. Bike ran fine to the coffee shop and then died on restart about 45 minutes later. Followed by four or five start attempts with no fire. Dash flashed the Comm error and Said Low Fuel pressure once. About the sixth start attempt, it fired up and I headed strait for home, idle was a little rough so I kept the RPM's up at intersections but it died once anyway but restarted fine. With my house in sight, I was able to run it up to near full power for a gear or two to see if WOT was affected, seemed pretty good. Coincidentally all this on it's first ride out with a new APH dual exit exhaust and matching IDS 44-tooth ECM. I hate it when an issue surfaces just after a parts swap, so I know that swapping back to the factory ECM to see if the issue continues is next in the troubleshooting list of things to do. Dash and original ECM were shipped out to LAP/EBR for the Dash update earlier and ran a few tanks since then. I pulled the dash out for inspection for cold/stressed solder joints and to Pott all the connectors as suggested in previous posts. Upon disassembly, I see that mine has already been Potted at all the suggested places so can't (without razor knifing the Potting material) pull the circuit board up/off to inspect for cracked circuit traces and the like. Email has been sent off to EBR for the official $$$ repair option..
My apologies for this post being in two threads, the first one looked appropriate but I saw this one and felt it was more specific
mike

White SX
05-23-2018, 08:00 AM
Would be more suspect if the new ECM causing the problem.

mbfj40
05-27-2018, 11:48 AM
Update....
Upon inspection of the Dash, I find that it has already been Potted and EBR tells me that based on it's serial number it is not the original one for my bike. Also told me it is one of the later, improved ones that are "post" "Comm Error". I contacted the Dealer that I purchased the bike from about any repair history on it prior to it being sold to me as the first owner. They said that other than a first 600 mile service, there were no other issues or services performed on the bike. It was their Demo bike when I purchased it new with just over 600 miles on it. The only time I had the Dash out was for the Free Dash and ECM Firmware upgrade about last year. EBR said they didn't switch it out, so it's a mystery how I ended up with a later model dash. Back to the troubleshooting..
After clearing all the faults, I re installed the original ECM and the bike still had an intermittent fuel system fault that continued to get worse. I noticed that it also showed a zillion other faults after swapping the ECM. I cleared them all and put the APH IDS ECM back in to continue with trouble shooting. Upon swapping the ECM, I got more Faults, including the Comm. I cleared them all to start fresh and was only getting Fuel System Faults from then on. The fuel pump issue progressed to a completely non-working fuel pump while tinkering in the garage for bad grounds, chaffed harnesses etc. Working backwards from the pump to the wiring on the harness to see where things were changing from good to bad electrically, I found that the four pin Weather-Pac looking Fuel pump connector, to the main bike harness, one of the connection had a bad female contact on the Pump ground wire. There are little spring loaded wiper strips inside the female contact that keep good pressure and contact to the male pins. The "wiper" was completely pushed back out of the way and was not making contact with the male pin when assembled. I tweeked the wiper back to the center of the contact and reassembled the plug. The bike started instantly. I re-assembled everything and four short separate (close to home) test drive trips totaling about 150 miles finds everything working perfectly, no faults and the bike runs like a scalded cat. So, so far, I think my Comm fault may have been just from swapping out ECM's within seconds of turning off the key and the Dash hadn't internally gone fully off like it would if you let it sit key off for a half an hour and then swapped parts. As for my bike having an updated Dash that supposedly wasn't even made when I bought it? Who knows, The EBR guys say that they would have sent my original one back that I sent in for update so the mystery goes unsolved. Hopefully with the newer Dash, the Comm issue will never return to haunt me...
Happy mike...

Lorne
07-26-2018, 01:01 AM
I got Communication error and the instant it appeared the engine stopped. I pulled in the clutch pulled over turned off the bike turned it back on all looked good looked at diagnostic no issue or history. Started the bike got up to 3rd gear it happened again I pulled in the clutch error disappeared let the clutch out and high sided Broke my Fibula. 2014 bike but only got it new at Xmas it has 2500 km on it.:-(