PDA

View Full Version : Things to check on a new 1190RX

workman482
06-18-2015, 08:46 PM
Looks like I'll be pulling the trigger this Saturday on a new 1190RX. IIRC the sales guy told me the last 4 of the VIN is 240.

What specifically do I need to check before I ride off with the bike? So far I've read about the fairing bolts, chain tension, exhaust bolt by the kickstand, and the plastic plugs for the mirrors. Anything else?

What is the latest software and firmware for the the display and how do I check for that?

Ace117
06-19-2015, 12:57 AM
The bolts that secure the body work have rubber washers my bike had overtightened bolts that ruptured the washers check all of them, the ruptured ones vibrated out on my bike and the plastics are scratched in that area. The front right upper fairing has a stress crack that i didnt notice at the dealer, it was right where the fairing curves. The tail section plastic also has a crack at the tip of the tail and its noticeable. My front lower left fairing has a peice that completely broke off, there is a small bolt that secures the front lower part of the fairing to the belly pan the bolt is smaller than the rest. Take a look inside the fairing and make sure its not broken or missing. When i got my bike they took it off the floor for some "finall" checks, had i spoted all that i know i would have gotten the bike for even less. Oh i also had an exhaust leak where the secondary connects to the muffler, you will be able you tell because there will be discolored black paint there where rust is starting to form. There was alot condensation coming out at start up but other than what i said no other problems on my bike.

ebr1190rxyellow
06-19-2015, 04:32 AM
Although highy unlikely, make sure to check the oil sight glass and make sure the oil is not milky. One I picked up from the dealer had a hole in clutch cover casting and leaked all the coolant into the crankcase. So far #298 was the only one with this problem but check anyway after engine is warmed up.

workman482
06-19-2015, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the tips on the fairing bolts Ace117.

Thanks for the tip ebr1190rxyellow!

Slickit
06-21-2015, 09:40 AM
FYI there was a front brake rotor recall. I think the issue was for bikes >150 on the VIN but it wouldn't hurt to ask the dealer if they know of this recall and if your bike was affected / fixed. After this first 1,000mi I would give the bike a close visual inspection with a good cleaning. Checked mine yesterday and saw that where the air scoops for the front brakes bolts on is rubbing my front rim causing minor damage, haven't figured out a fix yet (all the bolts are tight, no bolts are loose).

Mark1RX
07-04-2015, 07:35 PM
New 1190RX owner here with some questions. Does the gas cap totally detach or hinged? Cannot get mine off and do not want to bend the key. Either have the wrong cap or it is very tight. Also, any easy way to check coolant level. My plastic header tank is dry. Should it have been serviced before shipment? New bike-can't ride!

Slickit
07-04-2015, 10:51 PM
The gas cap comes completely off. It can be a bit sticky just press down on the silver portion of the cap while you turn the key counter clockwise 1/4 turn. And if you purchased the motorcycle from a dealer the bike should have been uncrated serviced, do any recall work if necessary, a quick run test and then crated back up and shipped on its way. But not all dealers are created equally soo.... maybe they didnt.

Mike
07-05-2015, 05:46 PM
The coolant reservoir was dry on my RX also. On an otherwise well prepped bike. "Filling" the coolant while on a center stand make aid in this happening. Over filling the reservoir will also aid in making sure the radiator(s) are full also once it goes thru a heating/cooling cycle.

My gas cap is a little snug, but not overly tight.

On the body screws, I just tighten mine until the rubber washer crushes to the diameter of the screw head or it's tight, whichever comes first.

Mike

Mark1RX
07-05-2015, 10:11 PM
Thanks. Will purchase a center stand that will work (no scratching). Meantime I am going to block up the side stand so the bike is near vertical and check the coolant again. Any recommendations on compatible coolant (50/50 H2O/Glycol or premixed)? What would it be serviced with now? Will give the gas cap lock a shot of lubricant and see if that helps. The key will not turn.

Plotter
07-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Were you able to replace your gas cap? I am surprised about the approach they used, but I guess it makes sense if you expect people to be tracking this bike, because then you'll just replace the lockable with a non lockable for the track.