PDA

View Full Version : leaking valve covers? Noise after shutdown?

bueller757
06-15-2015, 06:58 PM
Followed break in and just hit 620 miles.Replaced filter and oil, took out for another ride. After about another 50 miles, finally opened it up. Very impressive bike to ride, still havent went over 8500 rpms. But after returning home and giving a full inspection, found oil leaking from front and rear valve cover gaskets just above exhaust manifolds! Has any one had any issues w oil leaks? Also,can anyone tell me what servo noise followed by "water sizzling" on hot pipe sound is after shutdown? I have found no leaks, coolant level is sufficient.

snacktoast
06-15-2015, 08:09 PM
Followed break in and just hit 620 miles.Replaced filter and oil, took out for another ride. After about another 50 miles, finally opened it up. Very impressive bike to ride, still havent went over 8500 rpms. But after returning home and giving a full inspection, found oil leaking from front and rear valve cover gaskets just above exhaust manifolds! Has any one had any issues w oil leaks? Also,can anyone tell me what servo noise followed by "water sizzling" on hot pipe sound is after shutdown? I have found no leaks, coolant level is sufficient.

I think a few have observed some valve cover gasket leaks. However, I wouldn't call it too common.

I think the noise you hear after shutdown is probably the fuel pump cycling, but your "water on hot pipe sound" could be the oil leaking at the valve covers dripping onto the hot header(s).
The fuel pump may continue to cycle for a few minutes after a hot shutdown - this is normal.

oddball
06-15-2015, 11:10 PM
Front and rear is a new one. A member here red93stang has had the front valve cover gasket repeated pop and oil things down. In his string on badweatherbikers it appears the front cylinder is pressurising. Another member posted that the rear cylinder/left side cover directly vent to the airbox but the front cylinder/right side cover go thru the oil pump, oil cooler transmission then the left side cover and to the airbox. Rather a rotax hookah. I asked the reasoning for such a thing but have yet to see anyone give it. Another member said the 1125 for 2010 changed the design and got rid of the front cylinder crankcase vent. It doesn't appear this was the best of ideas.

bueller757
06-16-2015, 09:07 AM
I think a few have observed some valve cover gasket leaks. However, I wouldn't call it too common.

I think the noise you hear after shutdown is probably the fuel pump cycling, but your "water on hot pipe sound" could be the oil leaking at the valve covers dripping onto the hot header(s).
The fuel pump may continue to cycle for a few minutes after a hot shutdown - this is normal.

right after servo noise you hear a sizzle. oil leak does not seam that significant. only think I can think of is water. resovoir is same level as when i bought it though. im baffled by this noise. bike runs, starts, idles fine.

snacktoast
06-16-2015, 07:47 PM
Another member said the 1125 for 2010 changed the design and got rid of the front cylinder crankcase vent. It doesn't appear this was the best of ideas.

Based on 1 bike that the cause of 1 cylinder having a leaking cover that's troublesome to remedy, it wasn't a good idea?
I think that's a rush to judgement without knowing the root cause.

oddball
06-16-2015, 08:46 PM
He's currently digging deeper and deeper into his engine. As you can read, i also asked what the reasoning was for that design and none of the elves or any other unknown posters has chosen to say. I'm curious. I don't think they are dumb. That way of doing it may solve a few things. It would be nice to get a simple explanation.