PDA

View Full Version : 119RX keeps blowing front valve/cam cover

Red93stang
06-11-2015, 08:00 AM
1190rx keeps blowing valve/cam cover. Its always the left front corner of the cover. It takes about 8-10 miles after I replace the gasket. I suspect and breather system problem cause when it happens it sounds like someone stuck a knife in the front tire. I have seen ebryellowrx's post on the water in the crankcase for a bad casting on the water pump cover. I'm wondering if I don't have something like that going on. I have replaced the gasket and checked the breather system with air and it seems to be clear but I am stumped. Thanks for any advise given!

zviadi
06-11-2015, 08:30 AM
The oil level is normal?
On my bike also a leak of oil from gasket of rear cylinder head at high rpm. When selling my motorcycle, dealer poured oil above the upper mark. I leaked about 200 grams, a leak under gasket was observed.
In airbox all is dry.

Red93stang
06-11-2015, 08:36 AM
Oil level is in the middle of the lines on a "hot check". I have noticed it is hard to get oil into this bike. I can only pour about 3oz at a time or it will back up and run all over the floor.

Classax
06-11-2015, 01:50 PM
Oil level is in the middle of the lines on a "hot check". I have noticed it is hard to get oil into this bike. I can only pour about 3oz at a time or it will back up and run all over the floor.

WOW that's unusual. Mine takes oil fine.

Red93stang
06-11-2015, 02:39 PM
WOW that's unusual. Mine takes oil fine.

Thats good info actually! Their has to be something going on on that side of the engine. My 1125 never had a issue either taking oil.

ljm
06-11-2015, 08:11 PM
Mine always did, but it was closer to a quart rather than 3 ounces. Never noticed it on any of the 1190's though.

Red93stang
06-16-2015, 10:14 AM
So far I have torn down the left and right side of the bike. Cylinder leak down showed no signs of leakage anywhere. I am going to remove the flywheel/rotor to get to the upper balance shaft to check the beather passage in the case. The flywheel would not come loose from the crank like most have experienced on the 1125's. I have ordered gaskets, borrowed timing tools, and I am just waiting for all to come in at this point.

Red93stang
06-23-2015, 07:38 AM
I was able to check all the breather passages with the balance shaft out the way. All are clear, rigged up a way to put air to the cylinder and I hear no air coming out any passages. I'm going to clean everything the best I can and put it all back together and hope for the best. I did find something weird, a wasp or dirt dauber in the stator side of the engine. Looks like centrifugal force had taken its toll and took quit a ride on the rotor. LOL

Red93stang
07-01-2015, 08:50 AM

I think I found the problem. Now I just need to find out where it came from. It's silicone based, rubbery feeling.

dmhines
07-01-2015, 07:10 PM
What is that part you are holding ?

Red93stang
07-01-2015, 10:46 PM
It's the strainer from the bottom of the oil pump.

Slickit
07-02-2015, 09:05 AM
perhaps its a shipping coating that was forgotten or not removed? Could it be like a liquid gasket material?

just thoughts

Red93stang
07-02-2015, 09:23 AM
perhaps its a shipping coating that was forgotten or not removed? Could it be like a liquid gasket material?

just thoughts

Yeah I'm not sure myself. It does look or feel like a coating, paint chips, plastic shavings or something of the sort. Erik was going to pass it on to one of his powertrain guys to see if they could identify it. Maybe part of the guide that the chain is cutting and it could be completely normal. But their seems to be a lot of it or more than I would like to see.

oddball
07-03-2015, 01:49 AM
Think it's shavings from the cam chain tensioner? Glad you may have figured it out.

Red93stang
07-03-2015, 07:19 AM
Think it's shavings from the cam chain tensioner? Glad you may have figured it out.

I hope thats all it is. I just wonder if that would cause a clog on the right side, which in turn would cause oil to back up on the right side? I'm going to clean it all up, put it back together, cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Red93stang
07-07-2015, 09:40 AM
This was good info that Alex over on badweb posted so I figured I would cross post it over here.

"I will try to give You a complete overview of the oil circuit (1125/1190RR):
first of all we have a two stage oil pump consisting of a smaller and a wider pump section which operate independent of each other (no oil connection between the stages). Additionally the oil strainer we are talking about is a two stage strainer as well - consisting of a tubular and a flat section without connection between them.

First letīs look at the "pressure" side: Oil is sucked into the smaller oil pump segment from the engineīs "sump". The oil makes its way through a passage in the right engine case towards the flat oil strainer. There it passes the flat strainer and finally arrives at the suction side of the smaller oil pump segment. Within the pump segment the oil is "pressurized" and fed to the oil filter. After the oil filter the oil is distributed to all lubricating spots. It never passes the oil cooler on this route.

The oil return after lubrication is clearly divided into two seperated routes:
1. Oil from the left engine side (that is generator compartment and rear head valve train compartment)collects at the bottom of the generator compartment by simply draining back there by gravity. From there there is a plastic funnel guiding the oil back into the "sump". Take note that there is no pump involved to scavenge the oil back into the sump.
2. Oil from the right engine side (that is crank case compartment, transmission compartment, clutch compartment and front head valve train compartment): oil from the crankshaft compartment is scraped off the crankshaft and thrown into the transmission compartment from where it is guided to the tubular strainer. Oil from the transmission compartment itself takes the same way. Oil from the clutch compartment and front head valve train compartment collects at the tubular strainer, too. All this is beeing done by gravity (just like on the left engine side). Different from the left engine side the oil is now picked up by the wider second stage oil pump section (thereby passing the tubular strainer) and pumped through the oil cooler. After the cooler the oil is dumped back into the engine sump.

Based on this information one can see that:
- the engine lubricating oil is not fed through the oil cooler before getting to the lubrication points
- the cooling system only uses scavenge oil from the right engine side
- the grey particles found by Red93stang can not be from the generator (unless having been found in the flat strainer)
- the right engine side has no direct connection to the atmosphere. Blow by from the piston rings is "pumped" out of the right engine side by the wider oil pump segment together with the ride side scavenge oil (through the oil cooler) to the left engine side which is vented to atmosphere
- the gray particles found on the tubular strainer can only origin from the right side of the engine unless there is a major defect in the engine case"

oddball
07-07-2015, 09:14 PM
Glad someone finally laid out how the system operates. Any further ideas of what that material is that was causing all the trouble?

Plotter
07-12-2015, 01:30 PM
Good luck today with the first run since you put it all back together. Let us know how it goes...

Red93stang
07-15-2015, 03:44 PM
Well same results all back together.:puke:

I just have to make a choice of whether to pull it apart myself or hope EBR gets back online and take it back to the dealer and let them take care of it. I just hate to have someone else work on this bike that has no experience with this engine. I guess I will have to wait anyway cause I won't be able to get back on it for a couple of weeks. Decisions decisions!

Plotter
07-15-2015, 07:25 PM
Red93stang... sorry to hear bro... Hopefully there will be more resources soon to help you out...

Brutus1190
07-15-2015, 07:33 PM
Sadly the EBR service manual isnt nearly as thorough as standard factory manual. I do like the videos but it does leave a bit to be desired. Wiring diagrams and schematics, break downs of systems would sure be nice to have.

Plotter
07-15-2015, 07:34 PM
Are you using the one available from AF1?

oddball
07-16-2015, 12:04 AM
Sorry to hear it's still happening. You went through that motor. Maybe a slightly off spec surface for the valve cover gasket?

Red93stang
07-16-2015, 07:09 AM
Sorry to hear it's still happening. You went through that motor. Maybe a slightly off spec surface for the valve cover gasket?

I havent split the cases yet, which is the path I am heading next. I just dont have the time right now to pull the engine back out. It's going to be a couple weeks before I can get back on it. I'll be getting gaskets and reading the 1125 manual in my spare time to become a little more fimiliar with all of it. If thats even the path I choose. If EBR gets back up and running I may take it to the dealer and let them deal with it.

Brutus1190
07-16-2015, 09:58 AM
Yes.....using the one from AF1. I was hoping for a full service manual on the bike. There are some cool things but the lack of wiring schematics is a big disappointment.

Red93stang
07-16-2015, 10:48 AM
Yes.....using the one from AF1. I was hoping for a full service manual on the bike. There are some cool things but the lack of wiring schematics is a big disappointment.

Thats what I have heard and the reason I never bought a 1190 "manual". The 1125 manual covers about everything I need to know as far as the engine stuff goes.