PDA

View Full Version : Glowing header

justdean02
06-05-2015, 11:31 AM
Is this normal at idle? On a cold startup the header will start glowing red after a few min. Im sure the front is doing the same just too much lighting to see it

. 413414

Mike
06-05-2015, 12:14 PM
This is a known problem.
You can thank the EPA for this situation. Some/many incorrectly think this is a fuel problem, this is NOT a fuel problem, this is a "lack" of ignition timing problem.
In the world of tuning an engine around the smog laws, you need low ignition timing to keep the oxides of nitrogen (a bad thing for breathing mammals) low. Even though the engine as you can plainly see, isn't happy about this.
I've proven this over and over to people, just raise the timing and the red headers will go away...AND the engine will run better. Unfortunately, currently, we have no way of doing this. The "Exhaust Kit" formally sold by EBR, made this change in the replacement (race only) ECM. Now you/we just have to find one..!

Mike

Von
06-05-2015, 05:40 PM
The fill exhaust race ecm or the tips or either?

Mike
06-05-2015, 11:26 PM
Von -

Not sure I understand your question.
The ignition timing maps are found in the ECM.

Mike

Von
06-06-2015, 04:01 PM
Von -

Not sure I understand your question.
The ignition timing maps are found in the ECM.

Mike

Is it the same ecm in both kits?

Mike
06-06-2015, 08:18 PM
The "fill" (full ?)..?
Don't know anything about an EBR "full exhaust" ECM. The only one I know of that EBR sold was the tips that go into the lower muffler along with the required ECM.

Mike

Von
06-06-2015, 10:53 PM
The "fill" (full ?)..?
Don't know anything about an EBR "full exhaust" ECM. The only one I know of that EBR sold was the tips that go into the lower muffler along with the required ECM.

Mike

OK. No worries. They briefly sold the HMF full race exhaust and I wasn't sure if that was the bundled ecm from that set up that you were referring to

snacktoast
06-07-2015, 01:33 PM
OK. No worries. They briefly sold the HMF full race exhaust and I wasn't sure if that was the bundled ecm from that set up that you were referring to

There were two Race ECMs for the RX/SX.
One was calibrated for the exhaust finisher kit (which removed the secondary muffler and installed tips on the primary muffler.
The other was for the HMF muffler. This was not a full system - it maintained the stock headers.
Both ECMs were only available with the respective kits and they were unique calibrations for those configurations.