PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock squeek

Dutch
06-01-2015, 01:22 AM
Hi,

I've never maintenanced shocks before, and my rx with about 200 miles on it has a terrible squeak. Should I just blast it with a little wd40? I have uploaded a video below.

http://youtu.be/DZQBBiE3d5U

workman482
06-15-2015, 08:18 AM
Dutch, did you find a fix?

dmhines
06-15-2015, 02:21 PM
My coil rubs on the subframe .. does yours? See if that is where you squeak is coming from.

Dutch
06-15-2015, 10:48 PM
@dmhines That's what someone else mentioned on FB. I am only around the bike on the weekends because it stays at my moms a couple hours away, so I will check this weekend.

@workman not yet, I originally assumed that I just needed to lube the shock and I have never done that, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction, but now multiple people have suggested looking to see if the coil is rubbing the subframe, so I will check that in a few days.

Red93stang
06-16-2015, 08:32 AM
Mine rubs the subframe as well. I plan on clearancing the subframe to make it work.

Ace117
06-16-2015, 11:00 AM
Mine rubs too its missing paint in a couple spots now, its only a matter of time till my coil starts to rust.

bthibodeaux
06-16-2015, 03:40 PM
Mine rubs the subframe as well. I plan on clearancing the subframe to make it work.

Consider unbolting the entire subframe and shimming between the frame and subframe at the bolt on the front right side. Not sure that the subframe has the lateral flexibility to do this, but worth a try before taking a grinder to it.

snacktoast
06-16-2015, 07:49 PM
Consider unbolting the entire subframe and shimming between the frame and subframe at the bolt on the front right side. Not sure that the subframe has the lateral flexibility to do this, but worth a try before taking a grinder to it.

There is essentially zero flex in that subframe.

Dutch
06-20-2015, 04:15 PM
Alright, well after examining the issue a second time, it seems to not be my shock at all, but something down at the axle/break area. I rolled the bike backwards a bit, bounced on the shock like in the video, no squeak. Then as I rolled the bike around the driveway, the squeak would happen at the same spot in the rotation of the wheel every time.

bthibodeaux
06-20-2015, 08:24 PM
Alright, well after examining the issue a second time, it seems to not be my shock at all, but something down at the axle/break area. I rolled the bike backwards a bit, bounced on the shock like in the video, no squeak. Then as I rolled the bike around the driveway, the squeak would happen at the same spot in the rotation of the wheel every time.

Thanks for the update. Do let us know what you further discover.