PDA

View Full Version : Valve Technology

Dutch
05-19-2015, 07:59 PM
So, aside from my 1190rx and xb, I own 2 Ducati 748's. At the heart of every competitive ducati sits a desmodromic valve system. If you are un aware of this technology it removes about 90 percent of spring tension from the valve train, helping reach higher horsepower, due to the fact the engine no longer has to fight that spring tension. To put it into perspective a Japanese inline 4 has 4 valves per cylinder each spring requires nearly 300 pounds of pressure to compress. That's about 4,800 pounds of pressure the engine needs to fight, and it's all lost power. So I got to doing research on other valve technologies that would allow for less spring tension, and came across a technology known as CSRV, or rotary valve technology. If EBR was able to incorporate something like this it would increase horse power and torque like no tomorrow. Below is a video, and website link. I'm no mechanical engineer, so let me know what you think, and if this idea is way more farfetched than it seems to me haha

http://www.coatesengine.com/csrv-system.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDsRa4eT7co

oddball
05-19-2015, 09:11 PM
I remember seeing pics of the Coates engine long ago. It never went anywhere. Looks like their making chinese deals now.

LineArrayNut
06-06-2015, 10:12 PM
If it were truly fighting thousands of ft lbs of spring energy, you couldn't bump start it or turn it by hand. What is being compressed is being liberated elsewhere. That's the genius of the ottos and others back in the day. There is parasitic drag and friction, but no where near thousands of pounds NET.

Dutch
06-08-2015, 09:39 PM
Yes, You are correct, due to the fact the engine is only pushing 4 valves at a time, there is about 1200 at any given time the engine is fighting, then gear and sprocket ratio help fight that significantly, but bump starting a Ducati is significantly easier, as well as turning the engine at the front sprocket drive shaft. After I got my first Ductai, I watched the mechanic spin the engine several revolutions with his index finger. Doing a bit more research I came across another valve technology actually developed by ROTAX called RAVE valve technology.

Side note: I am no mechanical engineer or even mechanic, just a software engineer that works on his bikes sometimes. So if I sound completely retarded, sometimes my ambition gets the best of me. haha

LineArrayNut
06-11-2015, 11:22 PM
Gotcha, but just understand that for every valve spring that is being compressed, another is being released, ie. The mechanical energy expended to compress is almost all liberated back when it is allowed to expand. Minus the above mentioned forces and heat, noise etc.

Gemini
06-12-2015, 09:59 AM
If the spring being compressed vs release where in 100% phase with one another this would be true. I just did a valve adjust with both spark plugs out. Bike in sixth gear on stand using rear wheel to turn over engine stiff took a fair amount of effort to compress springs. As to started to close valve,some of the rotation was a bit easier

buell-fan
07-17-2015, 10:22 PM
Thanks for sharing that new valve technology Dutch. If that catches on (if the company markets it well) to the big three auto makers, it will take off like a rocket. The production costs there seem like they would be far less than with the "standard" poppet valve engines' parts, so they should be all for it. It that type of a head will go 300,00+ miles without any maintenance Coats International will be in business.

oddball
07-18-2015, 12:21 AM
Doubt the automakers will bite. They've had many years to examine the idea if they wanted. At this point i wonder how many years are left on any patents?

Plotter
07-18-2015, 08:31 AM
They build cars to only last so long before maintenance and parts. They don't really want a car to last forever. They want you to think a car will last forever, but then replace it in a 2-4 years span... The parts manufacturers don't want the parts to last forever... They want them to break within the engineered time period and replace them...