PDA

View Full Version : crankcase full of coolant???

ebr1190rxyellow
05-18-2015, 01:58 PM
Just picked up a couple ebr 1190rx's and doing initial inspection noticed one had entire coolant capacity in crankcase. Poured water in radiator after draining pan and it drained right out oil drain plug. Anybody have this issue?

oddball
05-18-2015, 02:41 PM
That's not good.

Hughlysses
05-18-2015, 02:54 PM
Hopefully that is caused by a bad head gasket.

Another Buell
05-18-2015, 04:13 PM
That doesn't sound right at all. I'm thinking this is just someone trying to bash EBR.
If you don't mind the question, why did you just happen to pick up a couple RX's?

ebr1190rxyellow
05-18-2015, 05:31 PM
Picked up one for my friend , got em for 10k out the door.

Another Buell
05-18-2015, 06:23 PM
I'm sure they are checked before they are sold. Every bike I've ever bought I have ridden before I bought it. Ten grand each and you didn't even ride one; (And there's no possible way that wouldn't be noticed. Something's not adding up here. Show some pics of your situation.

budgolf
05-18-2015, 07:55 PM
Yeah not to be crappy....but it's a hard story to buy. 20 grand in motorcycles and never even warmed them up first? This thing is to closely related to the 1125 for that to have not been noticed. If the cooling system was dry because it was all in the crankcase....it would have overheated very quickly. And been very noticeable. Hell they get warm quick with all of the coolant in the right place. And for you to watch coolant poor out the oil drain hole while pouring coolant in the radiator seems like it would be more than just a head gasket. More like a giant hole in a water jacket going straight into an oil galley.

bthibodeaux
05-18-2015, 08:24 PM
Assuming you received these bikes in their crates with no previous startup or pre-service by the dealer, I would take a look at the plumbing. Hoses may have been misrouted during assembly?

The dealer I bought from did say that he had a couple shipped to him with the coolant system dry. Good luck.

oddball
05-19-2015, 12:36 PM
It does seem a curiously large leak. What numbers are they? Dealer?

ebr1190rxyellow
05-19-2015, 01:24 PM
mine was #294 , just got it broke in. Not a single problem. His was #298 I thinK. Dealer was shark cycle in Stafford conneticut. had to of know of the problem when it was prepped. Had 16 miles on it. I should have checked when I picked up. Drove from Baltimore to pick up then up to Detroit. Never had a problem with a new bike, wasn't even concerned Especially with there reputation and quality control At ebr.

oddball
05-19-2015, 03:28 PM
Have you started digging into it to figure out what's up? It sounds very bizarre that it could even happen. Definitely document the search and results.

ebr1190rxyellow
05-19-2015, 05:38 PM
Not yet, will be torn down shortly. Will post results as soon as figured out. Hopefully this is the only 1190 with this issue. Anyone know how many rx and sx were produced?

oddball
05-19-2015, 09:17 PM
There is a string where people are posting their #'s. Somewhere between 300 and 1000 going on the highest number posted and the racing production requirements.

Capt
05-19-2015, 11:42 PM
mine was #294 , just got it broke in. Not a single problem. His was #298 I thinK. Dealer was shark cycle in Stafford conneticut. had to of know of the problem when it was prepped. Had 16 miles on it. I should have checked when I picked up. Drove from Baltimore to pick up then up to Detroit. Never had a problem with a new bike, wasn't even concerned Especially with there reputation and quality control At ebr.

I got my red one at Shark last week. Having it shipped now and supposed to arrive this weekend. It is 302 I think...I am out of town and need to look at paper work when I get home. Maybe 306.

Anyway I rode it for about 20 miles when I was in Stafford Springs and it ran fine but I will definitely look closely when I get home. Hopefully I have no issues

ebr1190rxyellow
05-20-2015, 11:36 AM
ok, yeah I saw that one there. If you rode it for 20 miles I'm sure it's fine but yeah I'd keep an eye on it anyway.

Hughlysses
05-20-2015, 04:31 PM
It's hard to imagine how your bike wound up like that. The most likely culprit would seem to be a defective head gasket, but I'm pretty sure they test run the bikes at the factory, at least for a couple of minutes, so it seems like that would have shown up immediately. I guess it's possible the engine was assembled with a defective head gasket which held long enough for it to run a minute or two.

Fortunately, the dealers can still get gaskets according to the updated list AF1 posted today.

oddball
05-27-2015, 09:12 PM
It's been a week since your last post ebr1190rxyellow. Any insight?

ebr1190rxyellow
05-28-2015, 07:53 AM
There were holes/voids in the casting of the clutch housing near where the water pump is located, causing coolant to leak directly into the crankcase. Ordered a new one for the 1125 from Harley. Hopefully it will match up with no issues. Welding was not an option for repair, it was in a bad location. Hopefully this is the only one found with this problem.

justdean02
05-28-2015, 07:30 PM
Here is a pic of one of the holes. The cover was a very poor casting and you can see a lot of trouble areas in the cover.I ended up jb welding the hole in the picture and found others. After filling all the holes the cover then leaked from the weep hole on outside of water pump. Went to FUHD and ordered cover for 2010 1125R. Should have cover tomorrow, it take weeks to get parts, slow just like the HD's. Will update as soon as i install!

Hughlysses
05-29-2015, 04:25 AM
Wow. I'd guess there was originally a thin "film" of metal over the hole that failed as soon as the cooling system came up to full pressure. That would explain how the part apparently passed a visual inspection during assembly and the bike could be successfully run at the factory and then have a crankcase full of coolant a month or two later.

Glad you figured it out.

Another Buell
06-01-2015, 05:58 PM
Sorry for my doubting of your issue, that just seemed like a very odd and unbelievable defect. I hope everything works out for you. I still can't believe those parts would make it thru assembly like that. Maybe it was just a hairline crack that propagated with pressure. That's horrible to have happen and I apologize for doubting you. I just get over protective of our brand. Good luck brother.

oddball
06-01-2015, 07:38 PM
It was a strange occurrence. I've seen fuel end up in the oil before from a bad carb. I'd worry about any rust developing internally anywhere the oil pump may have sent water instead of oil. Definitely give the valvetrain a good once over at your 600 mile service.

budgolf
06-04-2015, 08:27 AM
Damn. Sorry I doubted you. That's a pretty big hole.

justdean02
06-05-2015, 11:21 AM
UPDATE

Finally received part from slowest HD dealer on the planet and replaced clutch cover. EBR is on the road finaly!!!!!! bike seems to be fine and i am doing the break in procedure. I have about 250 miles on it now. attached are some pics of the repair.408409410411412

budgolf
06-05-2015, 11:56 AM
Good news!

bthibodeaux
06-06-2015, 09:30 AM
Great to hear! Enjoy!

Hughlysses
06-06-2015, 09:36 AM
:thumb: I'm guessing the Buell part was made by Rotax in Austria while the EBR part is sourced from an American supplier. Maybe they should review their QC procedures.