PDA

View Full Version : Known Issues

budgolf
05-11-2015, 12:43 PM
We developed one of these over on badweb for the 1125 and I think it would be good to compile a list of known issues that have popped up for the 1190 plus the solution if one has been developed.. Things like:

low fuel light stays on = replace fuel pump

Anything else out there?

Hughlysses
05-11-2015, 12:50 PM
low fuel light stays on = replace fuel pump

I'm guessing that was the recommended fix for bikes under warranty. With no warranty (currently) in effect, the recommended fix might be to pull the fuel pump assembly and replace the low fuel sender/switch, which hopefully could be adapted from a Buell XB (available from American Sport Bike).

budgolf
05-11-2015, 12:53 PM
I was thinking the same thing. On a side note, if one had the funds for replacement as a preventative measure, I wonder if going ahead and ordering parts that have been covered under warranty for others and doing the work yourself would be a legitamate claim against the company under recivership. And maybe result in reimbursment for the parts.

AClausing
05-26-2015, 05:49 PM
I am seeing my TC setting always default back to 3 after I change the number. When I shut off the bike it switches back to 3. Does anyone else see this happen to them?

snacktoast
05-26-2015, 05:54 PM
I am seeing my TC setting always default back to 3 after I change the number. When I shut off the bike it switches back to 3. Does anyone else see this happen to them?

Do you or have you had a communication error display on the cluster?
Sometimes it will set a code of U0001.

AClausing
05-26-2015, 05:57 PM
I have had a Front 02 sensor code a time or two.

AClausing
05-26-2015, 06:03 PM
Did anyone happen to get the Maintenance manual from EBR before it closed down? I have the owners manual but want the repair too. Any help?

bairframe
05-26-2015, 07:19 PM
AF1 is selling the service manuals: http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=2805

Red93stang
05-27-2015, 12:23 PM

I have had this happen a couple of times with no com error codes set yet.

It had an oil leak from the front valve/cam cover that I fixed this past weekend. It also has a coolant leak from rear cylinder coolant supply hose. I tightened the band clamp on the hose and have yet to ride it to verify if its fixed. Looks like I am having the stress cracks develope on both front side fairing mounting tabs to the frame.

Other than that, what a fun bike to ride!!!

AClausing
05-27-2015, 06:44 PM
I just ordered the service manuals from AF1 Racing.

As for the TC settings it is not every time.

Mike
05-29-2015, 01:11 PM
My only problem so far is that the clock and traction control reset themselves occasionally.
Always overnight.

The front rotor may be developing hot spots (small visual indications). The bike hasn't been driven hard, shouln't be happening.

Mike

Red93stang
06-01-2015, 10:57 AM

Had a oil down situation this morning on the way to work. Not sure if a oil line popped off or what yet.

dmhines
06-01-2015, 01:58 PM
The EBR USB Service manual is just a collection of videos.... there is no true service manual that I have seen. Perhaps Dealers have seen them. I recommend you also pick up an 1125 Service Manual to fill in a lot of the gaps.

budgolf
06-05-2015, 12:08 PM
I've got an 1125 manual in pdf I'd share. it's a huge file though so I don't know how I would do it

justdean02
06-05-2015, 12:22 PM
You can post it here using a google drive link, if you cant get it to work i can do it.

AKA Marco
10-04-2015, 02:57 PM

Had a oil down situation this morning on the way to work. Not sure if a oil line popped off or what yet.

Hi Red93stang, did you ever managed to find out what happened?

Red93stang
10-04-2015, 06:17 PM
No, I was told to sit tight and good things were to come. Still waiting on those good things.

Mike
10-04-2015, 10:52 PM
Seems several people have had the front muffler bracket break as mine did.
I cleaned it up and welded it. I haven't taken the body panel off to see if my weld survived my crash yet. Maybe next weekend.

My dash cluster top and base separated from each other. Looks like an o-ring seals the two halves, but I don't know what actually holds them together. I have some, somewhat transparent plastic tape holding it together..!

Mike

Brutus1190
10-06-2015, 04:20 PM
I bought the "service manual" and was disappointed and found it to be wanting! If anyone finds a true service manual for the 1190 please post it so we can get one.

d_adams
10-06-2015, 04:29 PM
No, I was told to sit tight and good things were to come. Still waiting on those good things.

I just don't see the warranty being honored, it's such a massive liability to take on. Millions in claims, labor, parts, etc. I have 2 of these now, one needs some work to get it running again.

buell-fan
10-06-2015, 06:46 PM
I just don't see the warranty being honored, it's such a massive liability to take on. Millions in claims, labor, parts, etc. I have 2 of these now, one needs some work to get it running again.

I don't see the new EBR owner spending that much on warranty issues. If the warranty work averages $1,000.00 for 100 different bikes that is only $100,000.00. Are there even 500 of them running the roads right now even? From what I have read on here, there are a few common issues needing addressed and a few bigger one-off warranty issues that need addressed on a limited number of bikes. Those aren't bad numbers, considering. For the most part these brand new machines are well thought out (purpose built) and fairly well put together. There are going to be bugs to be worked out with any new manufactured motorcycle or automobile. We are the proud firsts to help get the EBR 1190 to a fine-tuned piece of American made machine.

fknroger
10-20-2015, 01:10 PM
Anyone had an issue of the bike only starting once?
If I start the bike and immediately shut it off and attempt to restart it will not start. (one of the relays under the rear passenger seat just clicks)
If I wait about 15 min the bike will start again and repeat the same issue. This applies whether the bike is hot or cold, will only start once.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Sparky
10-20-2015, 02:51 PM
Does it crank and not fire or not crank?

If no crank, it could be a defective relay. Try swapping relays around to see if things change.

fknroger
10-20-2015, 04:57 PM
Sparky, it starts and runs no problem the first time, it's after I shut the bike off and try to restart that it will not start.
I actually did swap relays just to check it (since all three are the same) and still no luck. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Classax
10-27-2015, 02:11 PM
Got me on that one?

One issue I will mention is the rear heat shield welds. I'll be having AF! repair mine instead of replace this off season.

The other I would mention is how the stock chain seems to just stretch every ride

Lastly USE A TORQUE WRENCH on EVERYTHING. If you have tires replaced at a track event or new shop demand the use a torque wrench. Too tight on the rear axle nut cam compress the rear wheel bearings on to each other which will case them to lock up together and be all be impossible to remove. 100ft-lbs for a reason.

fknroger
11-18-2015, 01:51 PM
Anyone had an issue of the bike only starting once?
If I start the bike and immediately shut it off and attempt to restart it will not start. (one of the relays under the rear passenger seat just clicks)
If I wait about 15 min the bike will start again and repeat the same issue. This applies whether the bike is hot or cold, will only start once.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Still looking for any suggestions, was told it might be a ground issue, so I am going to try running another separate ground wire to see if this helps. Just hoping someone else has run into a similar situation.

Spider
11-27-2015, 02:28 PM
Still looking for any suggestions, was told it might be a ground issue, so I am going to try running another separate ground wire to see if this helps. Just hoping someone else has run into a similar situation.

fknroger -- While out riding for a few hours last night, I experienced the same "one start" issue you spoke of. My ebr has less than 500 miles on it. I was maybe 175 miles from home so the first instance made me nervous & frustrated. The necessity of getting home ultimately proved that it does restart after sitting for a small amount of time. I'll be looking in to it and please post a resolution if you discover one.

fknroger
11-30-2015, 10:57 AM
fknroger -- While out riding for a few hours last night, I experienced the same "one start" issue you spoke of. My ebr has less than 500 miles on it. I was maybe 175 miles from home so the first instance made me nervous & frustrated. The necessity of getting home ultimately proved that it does restart after sitting for a small amount of time. I'll be looking in to it and please post a resolution if you discover one.Spider: have not discovered a solution as of yet, sounds like it left you feeling the exact same way I felt first time it happened. Mine has about 5000 miles on it, currently it is all taken apart (has been for about 2 months) trying to located the issue. Honestly I have not spent a whole lot of time looking into it, luckily it is not my only bike, I will post once I have it corrected. FYI, mine has had the fuel light on since day one, and my dash has gone completely blank twice. (simply removed and re-installed and started working each time.)

fknroger
02-05-2016, 06:17 PM
Still can't come up with a solution, I now have a EBR paperweight, if anyone else has a suggestion please offer it.
fknroger -- While out riding for a few hours last night, I experienced the same "one start" issue you spoke of. My ebr has less than 500 miles on it. I was maybe 175 miles from home so the first instance made me nervous & frustrated. The necessity of getting home ultimately proved that it does restart after sitting for a small amount of time. I'll be looking in to it and please post a resolution if you discover one.

golfman1966
02-14-2016, 11:29 AM
So far I've had:

1) Front 02 sensor error code. Occasionally throws a check engine light, most of the time it's just in the diagnostics history (EDIT: when I upgraded to the race ECM this problem went away)
2) TC settings default back to 3, have had this happen a few times (UPDATE: Seems to occur at the first start in the morning. Theory is a voltage sag on the starting system, will research further)
3) I have a fairly substantial resonance that vibrates the bike at about 7500 rpm. Not sure if this is typical or not. (EDIT: Futzing with the chain slack has minimized this issue)
4) Once I had a hard start condition with backfire. Engine was warm at the time.

The dealer I bought the bike from sold it to me at a substantial discount, so I don't believe they did much prep work before delivery. The chain was very loose (2" of play as measured per the manual) and it slapped around enough to chew up the lower chain guard. I've since adjusted to spec and it seems okay now.

I'm used to Japanese/European bikes, and the EBR will take me some time to get used to. For example, from the dealership the battery was bad (went completely flat) and I boosted it to get her going. Since I didn't know it had a lithium battery, the booster blew up the battery. There are a few other things that have befuddled me from time to time, but I'll learn.

dmhines
02-15-2016, 10:48 AM
My RX ended up back in shop with less than 70 miles on it .. threw a check engine light driving home from dealer. Had many fault codes that would show up as soon as bike was warm. Dealer had it for over 1 month troubleshooting with EBR. As far as I know they replaced the Throttle Bodies and perhaps the ECM - they never did give me an actual invoice of the repairs. No more issues once I got it back .. and I have since switched to the Race Tips and Race ECM still with no issues. I am glad I had the warranty when I first bought it or I would have been screwed. I have heard of other stories of mis-calibrated throttle bodies.

snacktoast
02-24-2016, 08:02 PM
There was an issue with some early throttle bodies. The issue was that the throttle plates would not open at the same time due to the manufacturer of the throttle bodies not properly calibrating the linkage.
The TPS reads off 1 of the plates, so if they are not synced properly, 1 opens before the other and creates a lean condition on the other cylinder.
Typically a check engine light for a lean condition on one of the cylinders would occur and on bikes that had it bad, there was some severe surging at steady state low throttle inputs.

M1Combat
02-25-2016, 06:09 PM
I got the front o2 CEL today.

Also... I have a 5-14 bike and it seems maybe I have the badly calibrated throttle body linkage? I'm not going to commit to the surging being "severe" but it's pretty annoying.

I was playing with the throttle at low openings (3rd gear) to see what was up just before the front 02 CEL lit up.

Jbaker229
03-04-2016, 03:07 PM
I now have about 1k on my bike. I have had some issues with the bike not starting when hot. Don't know the technical term, but it the bike had carbs it is kinda like they are flooded. Giving the bike some throttle and cranking it over gets it to start. I have had this happen on other bikes so it is not too surprising. Just a mild inconvenience cause it happens fairly often.

golfman1966
03-05-2016, 09:40 AM
I now have about 1k on my bike. I have had some issues with the bike not starting when hot. Don't know the technical term, but it the bike had carbs it is kinda like they are flooded. Giving the bike some throttle and cranking it over gets it to start. I have had this happen on other bikes so it is not too surprising. Just a mild inconvenience cause it happens fairly often.

I've had this happen as well. Shortly thereafter the low fuel light popped on (mine works!). I'd be curious to know if you can verify that this is the pattern with yours as well.

Jbaker229
03-06-2016, 11:17 AM
I've had this happen as well. Shortly thereafter the low fuel light popped on (mine works!). I'd be curious to know if you can verify that this is the pattern with yours as well.

My issue has no relation to the low fuel light. I think the fuel injection system is just loaded up. I attribute it to the fact that I do not rag on the bike, if anything i lug it too much. I always have the TC set to a pretty high number. I am a pretty slow rider, I am guessing that if I ragged on my bike in the manner it was designed for this would happen less often. That is a very uneducated guess though...

Sparky
03-06-2016, 04:20 PM
jbaker, the issue may be the winter blend of gasoline that is being phased out for the normal blend at this time of year. The winter blend, IIRC, can tend to evaporate the more volatile compounds related to winter starting when the gas is considerably heated by the frame/tank of our bikes. Eventually with these compounds more or less missing due to tank heating, what you have to do to get it started may just be the temporary workaround until the normal blend gets around to your filling stations.

M1Combat
03-06-2016, 04:23 PM
Is the throttle body sync procedure in any of the service manuals?

If I just remove the airbox will it be pretty obvious whether or not they're synced?

dmhines
03-07-2016, 07:26 AM
There is no SYNC SERVICE procedure ... apparently you have to replace them to make it right.

d_adams
03-07-2016, 08:23 AM
A pair of dial indicators would show you if they're opening at the same time, assuming you can set it up. I don't recall seeing any service procedures for it either, but I'm sure it could be done with a bit of ingenuity.

Ed / AF1 Racing
03-07-2016, 02:45 PM
we replaced 2-3 sets of TBs back in the day for the o2 lean condition. Apparently, some batch of TBs were leaking too much air.

fknroger
03-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Spider, looks like I have it fixed, finally traced it back to the remote starter solenoid.
I believe it was getting stuck internally, seems all good now once it released, I haven't had the problem since.
It resides in the area right under the passenger seat lock, in between battery and fuse panel.
I went ahead and order a new one from AF1 Racing and will just change out the connector on it.
Found it when I was searching the internet, turns out this type of solenoid is uses in jet ski and snowmobile applications as well, and they experience the "click of doom" as I found it referenced more than once.
http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2538
Good luck, hope this helps.

bueller757
04-13-2016, 07:52 PM
red93stang, i was looking at 1190 owners group posts today and looks like a couple people had this issue and was a water pump oil seal. Did you ever find out what happened of get fixed?

Everoblivion2005
05-26-2016, 08:45 AM
When I fist turn the key to on the Engine Cold indicator is accompanied by a Low Oil warning. The tech at Dreyer said this was normal and that it goes away when the engine warms up. It does seem to go away but yesterday after taking it out on the back roads for about a 20 mile circuit it came back on as I was pulling into my garage. I was dumb and I didn't check the gauge while it was hot and checked it this morning cold, cold its just BARELY over the min line while sitting on the side stand. Does anyone else have the "Low Oil" warning popping up on their bikes and should I be concerned? I'll do a hot check later but I didn't know if this was just a known bug that I can disregard.
2016 1190RX

Slickit
05-26-2016, 03:00 PM
your oil level should be below the low level when cold. You'll need to ride it til warm and and let sit for a 3-5 mins on its stand on a level surface. then check your sight glass, thats your level. from what you are describing it all seem normal.