PDA

View Full Version : Knowing What You Know Now Would You Buy A New 1190SX Today?

Moose
05-01-2015, 03:56 PM
I have been lurking on this site for a while now and I appreciate all the good info. I am currently on a 2008 Suzuki B-King and a former 1125CR owner. I have been interested in the SX since they came out. I have found one at a dealer for a pretty hefty discount and I am considering picking it up. Knowing what you know now with the receivership situation would you still buy one?

RV7PILOT
05-01-2015, 08:44 PM
I already have an SX and yes, I would buy another, this time the RX at the discounted price if I hadn't just bought a Harley, which I love immensely. Never saw that coming. An RX in yellow!

oddball
05-01-2015, 11:00 PM
They are tempting. SX was definitely a more comfortable seating position but the RX has a sleeker look. I go back and forth on which would be the better option, modify each in my head to suit my needs and then let the logical and emotional sides of my brain argue want/need.

xr1000
05-02-2015, 01:15 PM
What kind of discounts are we talking? I remember when HD and that POS Wandell shutdown Buell, I bought my CR at almost 50% off MSRP. I can still hear that a-hole........."I will not pay or invest I someone's hobby..shut it down". Now HD's bike to bring in the younger crowd are the 500 and 750 Street bikes.......what a joke. They can't even give those India / Chinese / Pakistan "quality" bikes away.....

mackja
05-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Getting ready to pounce on one soon, love my RX and if I can pick up an SX for around 8-10 grand I will get one. How could you get a great bike at that price anywhere else!

Capt
05-02-2015, 07:28 PM
Hey everybody,

I have the opportunity to pick up a new 1190 RX for $9500. I need to know if anyone has more than 8 to 10,000 miles on one of these bikes please.

$9500 is not a lot of money for a superbike but it is a lot of money for me and I want to make sure that I at least get a few years of enjoyment out of this bike with as little risk as possible.

Has anyone experienced maintenance issues that absolutely require manufacturer level replacements/maintenance? Such as losing a gear or something proprietary? I guess what I'm really asking is, exactly what this thread is asking.

I love this bike and I was hooked the moment I rode it. I really want to purchase it but I'm just hesitant because of the fact that there is no history of durability or longevity on this particular model. Any thoughts or suggestions would be extremely helpful thanks everyone in advance.

Slickit
05-03-2015, 10:58 AM
You might want to send a private message to the user Classax on these forums, I believe that he has ~10k mi on his RX.

Capt
05-03-2015, 12:58 PM
You might want to send a private message to the user Classax on these forums, I believe that he has ~10k mi on his RX.
Thanks.

Hughlysses
05-03-2015, 01:49 PM
Hey everybody,

I have the opportunity to pick up a new 1190 RX for $9500. I need to know if anyone has more than 8 to 10,000 miles on one of these bikes please.

$9500 is not a lot of money for a superbike but it is a lot of money for me and I want to make sure that I at least get a few years of enjoyment out of this bike with as little risk as possible.

Has anyone experienced maintenance issues that absolutely require manufacturer level replacements/maintenance? Such as losing a gear or something proprietary? I guess what I'm really asking is, exactly what this thread is asking.

I love this bike and I was hooked the moment I rode it. I really want to purchase it but I'm just hesitant because of the fact that there is no history of durability or longevity on this particular model. Any thoughts or suggestions would be extremely helpful thanks everyone in advance.

If you check the threads here and in the EBR sub-forum at www.badweatherbikers.com, it seems most of the issues are with earlier serial number RX's, and most of those issues have been with the electronics and other minor niggles. I haven't read of any significant mechanical failures.

Capt
05-03-2015, 01:57 PM
If you check the threads here and in the EBR sub-forum at www.badweatherbikers.com (http://www.badweatherbikers.com), it seems most of the issues are with earlier serial number RX's, and most of those issues have been with the electronics and other minor niggles. I haven't read of any significant mechanical failures.

Thanks for the info! Hope to hear from more folks.

noone1569
05-04-2015, 07:38 AM
7k on my RX.

The only issues I've had were that the exhaust lost a bolt leading to a cracked header and numerous plastics have and are cracked.

That being said, I'd buy another absolutely. I'm considering if it they get in the 8k range . . .

Capt
05-04-2015, 08:54 AM
7k on my RX.

The only issues I've had were that the exhaust lost a bolt leading to a cracked header and numerous plastics have and are cracked.

That being said, I'd buy another absolutely. I'm considering if it they get in the 8k range . . .

Thanks Noone....was the header fix expensive or difficult? I am not much of a mech I'm afraid...

ljm
05-04-2015, 07:53 PM
I like it better than any bike I've ever had.

noone1569
05-05-2015, 08:47 AM
Thanks Noone....was the header fix expensive or difficult? I am not much of a mech I'm afraid...

Well, it was fixed under warranty. Getting to the header isn't too bad though if you had to replace it.

Classax
05-07-2015, 07:12 AM
These bikes suck! They destroy knee pucks, and chew through tires. People always gawking with something to say. Its a nightmare. Mechanically speaking once they sorted out the ecu and a few throttle bodies, its been bullet proof. I'm ridding less on the street though because tracking it is on a whole nother level.

Capt
05-07-2015, 11:32 AM
These bikes suck! They destroy knee pucks, and chee through tires. People always gawking with something to say. Its a nightmare. Mechanically speaking once they sorted out the ecu and a few throttle bodies, its been bullet proof. I'm ridding less on the street though because tracking it is on a whole never level.

NOICE!! Thanks for the feedback. Rubber side down!

Classax
05-08-2015, 06:40 AM
All jokes aside. While I absolutely love this bike now that is sorted, I had a few issues under warranty that would completely side line a new owner under the current conditions. Fortunately nearly all of those will have been addressed by the dealers by now. Right now they are a great risk. Meaning if you score one cheap and have no issues you're a genius because they really are that good. On the other hand if you find yourself among the inevitable few who encounter a problem even a minor one under the current conditions you will be an idiot for buying a bike with no support side lined with a potentially expensive path to running order.

Capt
05-08-2015, 08:07 AM
All jokes aside. While I absolutely love this bike now that is sorted, I had a few issues under warranty that would completely side line a new owner under the current conditions. Fortunately nearly all of those will have been addressed by the dealers by now. Right now they are a great risk. Meaning if you score one cheap and have no issues you're a genius because they really are that good. On the other hand if you find yourself among the inevitable few who encounter a problem even a minor one under the current conditions you will be an idiot for buying a bike with no support side lined with a potentially expensive path to running order.

Well, today I roll the dice. Only time will tell if I am said genius or idiot. I am picking up my shiny red RX for $9800. Had negotiated 2 for $9500 a piece for an extra parts bike and wish I would have had the courage to pull the trigger on that deal but I wimped out and decided I could only afford one $10,000 paper weight.

My VIN is 306 so hopefully it's ringer and not a lemon. Will let you all know.

Let's all raise a glass...Here's to addictions, dammit.

Hughlysses
05-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Good for you! Congratulations!

Of course...

:ttiwwp:

Slickit
05-08-2015, 11:13 AM
With a VIN in the 300s I would think you will be just fine. And in regards to the parts bike I am still wondering how low they will go cause if I find one cheap enough that is a consideration.

Congrats on the new ride, FYI I would suggest that you follow the break in period very strictly as there have been cases of ~8hp difference on bikes that were broken in properly and ones that weren't. Have fun.

Capt
05-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Well here she is... 0 miles. Time to change that donut hole by adding a 1 and four 0"s in front of it...373

oddball
05-08-2015, 11:31 PM
Congrats!

GAC
05-08-2015, 11:32 PM
In a heartbeat....

Hughlysses
05-09-2015, 04:07 AM
Nice!

Hughlysses
05-09-2015, 08:39 AM
For any of the rest of you trying to find a cheap EBR, the "Find Your Dealer" page still works (as of 9:40 AM EDT 9 May 2015):

https://www.erikbuellracing.com/find-your-dealer/

thunder1200
05-18-2015, 08:45 PM
I pulled the trigger on Laguna Blue 1190SX 5/16. Here's to hoping an EBR recovery and a reliable m/c.

DAve

xenno92
05-20-2015, 04:22 PM
I bought an SX about 3 weeks before EBR went bankrupt. I'm still unsure how i feel about it because I used to ride a Ducati M796. I traded it in because the parts and labor on it was just not worth it. So instead of going japanese i saw these EBR's and i was like **** yes i want it. Now im being told parts are getting super expensive. Part of me wants to keep this bike and another part just wants to trade it in again. Only because i ride daily and a lot of the time i have to leave my bike on the street, so now that these ebrs are sort of a collectors item i just dont want to leave it anywhere. Sometimes i dont even want to ride if i have to ride to LA or seomthing