PDA

View Full Version : ok, it's been very cold, didn't ride or crank her for 2 months: battery dead - help?

LineArrayNut
03-07-2015, 04:50 PM
I'm competent with plenty of tools, so... where's the best spot to get a charger on her? and leave a battery tender on her? unheated storage bldg. was unkind to lithium battery I guess... working 80 hrs a week, I have no time to puzzle it out, so I'm asking y'all for some help.

pytalkamus
03-07-2015, 08:30 PM
I'm competent with plenty of tools, so... where's the best spot to get a charger on her? and leave a battery tender on her? unheated storage bldg. was unkind to lithium battery I guess... working 80 hrs a week, I have no time to puzzle it out, so I'm asking y'all for some help.

This charger plugs right into a port on the battery and the lead can stay connected to the battery at all times. I won't pretend to know much about lithium-ion batteries, but this charger claims to be able to maintain the battery without risk of damage. I have one and it's doing the job just fine.

http://www.cyclegear.com/SHORAI-Battery-Charger

dmhines
03-08-2015, 08:21 AM
You leave the key on? I have read lithium ion will lose minimum charge even after a year of storage.

LineArrayNut
03-09-2015, 01:18 AM
Thx for the responses. I more need how to get to the battery or a good spot to put a couple clean amps to the harness. Act like you just pulled the pillion pad off: now what?

Another Buell
03-09-2015, 03:55 PM
I'm having the same problem. My battery was giving me problems as soon as it got cold. It would barely turn over once the temp got below 50. I took it out in December, used a regular charger to top it off. Then periodically charged it until a day ago. It won't start my bike now so I'm guessing my battery is just defective. Its reading 13 volts with a volt meter so I'm also guessing that's not enough juice to start it. I'm just wondering if anyone else is having this issue. I spoke with Adam at EBR and his advice was get a Shorai charger and use that. Anyone else having battery issues?

Another Buell
03-09-2015, 03:57 PM
The charging connector is right on top of the battery. There's a little grey tab, if you pull that tab up there's a bunch of pins there. I'm guessing that's the charging port.

pytalkamus
03-09-2015, 05:24 PM
https://m.facebook.com/ErikBuellRacing/albums/10152741248897496/?refid=28&_ft_=qid.6124363892978792500%3Amf_story_key.-4044651922401530789&__tn__=C

I find it odd that the guy on EBR's Facebook page needed to replace his battery due to the cold, not just charge it. Yes, the grey tab on top of the battery is the charging port.

LineArrayNut
03-10-2015, 01:20 AM
So... how did y'all GET to the battery... lol!

pytalkamus
03-10-2015, 04:47 AM
The battery is under the seat. There is only one bolt under the sub frame that you need to remove.

dmhines
03-10-2015, 08:29 AM
I've never had a cranking problem but I don't think mine has sat for more than 2 months without riding ... instead of the charger .. just disconnect the negative battery cable during storage.

Another Buell
03-10-2015, 07:22 PM
So I picked up the Shorai charger today. It turns out my battery is apparently charged fully. Not really sure what the issue is. I parked it in late December. It sat for about a week or two, when I tried to start it, it just clicked so I figured it must be the battery. So I took it out, charged it with a regular charger then stored it until a few days ago. Now I noticed when I turn the key, for a brief second it say communication error, then that goes away. When I turn the run switch off, the fuel pump cycles. I'm not sure what's going on, but when I rode it last I didn't have any problems. The place I got it from said they will pick it up next week for me so when I find out what's going on I will post whatever happened.

Sparky
03-10-2015, 09:54 PM
The deal with using Shorai batteries when it's very cold is you have to let the battery warm up internally before trying to crank the bike. This is done, I'm told, by just turning the key on and wait for a few minutes (5 or 10?) before hitting the start button. The current draw to light the headlight and other electrics is supposed to be sufficient to warm up the battery after a few minutes.

Another Buell
03-11-2015, 08:36 AM
I did try to let the battery warm up for at least ten minutes with the key on but nothing. I'm at a loss. Like I stated in my earlier post, I picked up the Shorai charger and it only took 5 minutes to read fully charged. I have had some other issues such as the fuel light coming on with a half a tank, and very brief 02 sensor codes. The lights would sometimes not switch from high to low beam as well sometimes. I'm thinking there's an electrical gremlen somewhere in there. I had the same fuel light issue on both my 08 and 09 1125. So I'll be interested to find out why that is going on. I'm going to go out and check all the wiring today and see if I can find any issues. If not, I'll just wait for the dealer to pick it up next week. I got it at Whites H.D in Lebanon P.A. They are really great people there and offered to pick it up for free which was really awesome of them.

Another Buell
03-20-2015, 08:42 PM
Just wanted to update in case anyone had similar issues. After the shop did some troubleshooting, they determined my starter is bad. They said about two weeks to get a starter from EBR.So far that will be the throttle cable, the front fairings,both sides,uppers and lowers, and both mirrors,their still working on the fuel light issue.The fairings cracked at the mounting tabs, and the mirrors are being replaced because the little caps covering the hardware blew off somewhere. I figured there would be issues that came up so I'm ok with it. They have been very fair fixing things and that's important to me. I just wish they didn't take so long. But I'm still very happy with the bike.

Another Buell
03-27-2015, 06:48 PM
Just wanted to update. I got my bike back today. They replaced the starter, clutch upgrade, which is fantastic,and the rear brake fluid bracket. Still waiting on the lower fairings. They s nt know what went wrong, just a bad starter. All is well now. Just need some spring like temperatures!!!

LineArrayNut
03-29-2015, 02:00 AM
I had a small LiFePO charger, it didnt like the current draw lol. Bigger charger on 2 amp maxed out for a minute then drew on down. Perked battery right up, cranked normally. Now just need warmth and time to get her out and run her. Thanks for the help.