PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk RX Tires

Classax
01-12-2015, 11:23 AM
Let’s talk tires-

So far I’ve been through 2 sets each of Pirelli Roso Corsa and Dunlop Q3’s with an even mix of track-days, commuting, and back road bombing with a riding style that tries to focus on being really, really smooth. So here are my observations-

The Rosso tend to last about right at 4000 miles if care is taken to protect the centers from squaringin a daily commute by running higher rear tire pressures than suggested. Rears and fronts last about the same.
The Q3s appear to be softer in the middles than the Rosos and cup fairly quickly on the rears but have a bit more tread and last about 3800miles of similar riding with fronts and rears going off about the same time.
In terms of grip-
Dry: it’s a wash, they both warm up super quick with edge going to the Q3 which seem ready to go in a few feet. Leaned over they are about the same but the Q3 is much stiffer so you can run lower pressures but Rosso seem to transition a tad quicker to full lean and have a more planted feel. It’s weird the Q3’s give you more feed back of the road and where you are on grip, but the Rosos also provide more warning by first squirming and then slipping as opposed to the Q3 which will just howl and then go off suddenly. If you hear the sound, they are yelling at you to back off or else. They are both excellent but on the RX I think the Roso with its softer carcass may just have the edge just BARELY.

Wet: Q3’ s hands down! Although both are slick at the very edge the Q3s with their stiffer feel really let you sense the road and what’s happening with traction. They also have a deeper tread that goes further toward the sidewalls. On the RX I find with the stock plate hanger and Rosso’s in the rain the rear of the bike and my back stay cleaner than on any bike I’ve ever ridden. With the Q3’s not so much as they kick up a lot of spray. If spray translates to the ability to evacuate water then the Q3’s have it.

The Q3’s rears appear to be a bit taller and wider than the Rosos as my normal, DON’T touch a knee on the street pace lean angles take the Roso all the way to the edge on the rears but leave a distinct strip on the Q3’s rear’s but the fronts are just the opposite. The Rosso are nowhere close to the edge were as the Q3 wear is well into the slick portion of the tread.

Back when I was running the traction control around 3 on the street I noticed the light more often with Rosos, I don’t use it at all now and haven’t had any issues while running the Q3’s except for a very slow spin upcoming out of the bus stop at MSRH while leaned over trying to get a drive on a S1krr to make a pass down the back straight. No drama, no step out, just a gooey feeling in the rear, and quicker than expected rise in RPM with less than expected acceleration. Followed by a hook up and a little wheelie while continuing to pick the bike up to straight up and down. (got by him on the brakes going into diamond’s edge)

On track at track pressures 30/28 (front/rear) with my knee occasionally scimming the deck, the Q3 rear wear goes all the way to the edges and the fronts wear is nearly complete as well. At the same Slow intermediate pace the Rosos seem to be at home and the fronts still have plenty left to go. Over all to me the bike seems to turn quicker with the Roso set up by just a hair. Being softer they work a little better with the RX stiff suspension, particularly around town. The Q3 inspire a lot of confidence though as you can feel the road and know exactly what’s happening with your grip even if the ride is a little harsh around town. The Q3’s don’t squirm much at all under braking like the Roso’s do but looking at the wear patterns the Q3’s push and slide more under trail braking than the Rosos. You can feel it in the lever and it’s a manageable warning that I need to rethink things or continue towards a lowside. The Rosos squirm under hard braking giving you a little wiggle in the bars and at the lever but the wear patterns indicate no pushing or slipping so it’s a trade off between the two. I make it a point to NOT ever ride at 10 oreven 8 or9/10ths. I’m too old, big and heavy get any benefit from pushing for really low lap times, and have too many responsibilities to risk an unnecessary get off on the street so I’ve never pushed either of these tires anywhere close to what they really can do. to I think for a slow to mid pack intermediate track day rider they both work great,but I would be inclined to improve to something a little better if I were running a fast intermediate to slow advanced pace, just for the extra margin of safety. Some of you who are actually fast please chime in. Especially if you have used race rubber or other brands For the money, IMHO it’s hard to beat the Q3’s even though they don’t seem to last quite as long.

Dunlop Q3 190/55/17
Perrli Roso Corsa 190/55/17
Dunlop Q3 120/70/17
Perrli Roso Corsa 120/70/17

Diameter
649mm
642mm
604mm
600mm

Width
193.54mm
189.99mm
121.66mm
121.92mm

Tread depth
7/32”
6/32”
5/32”
4/32”

Weight
14.7lbs
14.2lbs
10.25lbs
9lbs

Thoughts?!?!

Gemini
01-12-2015, 06:10 PM
Thoughts?.....one hell of a write up

mackja
01-12-2015, 09:16 PM
I too have used the Rosso Corsa's and currently run the Q3's. I have not ran my 1190 on the track yet, but on the street I really prefer the Q3's, they seem to transition better and have better grip than the Rosso's. It might be that I am use to running the Dunlop slicks on my 1125 track bike. While the Rosso's are great tires, I prefer the Q3's, they give me more confidence, I run lower pressures and they have better feel when pushed. My 2 cents.

Classax
06-21-2016, 06:59 AM
Time for new shoes in preparation for a few more trackdays this year, anybody got any intel on GPA Pros on the RX or even EVO Cups? I'm a very slow Advanced/Lvl 3 rider.

mackja
06-21-2016, 07:45 AM
I am a Dunlop fan, I run the N-Tec slicks 120/70/17 up front and a 200 in the rear, traction control is turned off, I run mid pack Advanced pace, never had an issue they hook up unbelievable well, GPA I think are the same tire with siping, if so you will be really happy with them.

darkducati
06-21-2016, 12:28 PM
I am a Dunlop fan, I run the N-Tec slicks 120/70/17 up front and a 200 in the rear, traction control is turned off, I run mid pack Advanced pace, never had an issue they hook up unbelievable well, GPA I think are the same tire with siping, if so you will be really happy with them.
Any effect on the bike's turn in when you went to the 200?

mackja
06-21-2016, 01:08 PM
No problem at all, I run the 200 based upon Geoff Mays recommendation, medium compound works great!!

Mike
06-21-2016, 08:36 PM
Already given my short thought on the Bridgestone S21's.
"NICE tires"

Mike

yzf29
06-21-2016, 08:56 PM
I run mid pack Advanced pace, never had an issue

What do the guys up front run?

:burnout:

:smashfreak:

darkducati
06-23-2016, 09:55 AM
No problem at all, I run the 200 based upon Geoff Mays recommendation, medium compound works great!!
Interesting. Do you also run his ride height suggestions? I raced lightweghts previously so this is rather different. We never had to worry about putting down big power. LOL