PDA

View Full Version : ECU/Shock/Gearing Review

khill
12-05-2014, 12:54 AM
I was able to get the parts and install them prior to my days at Chuckwalla this week. Here's a quick rundown of everything plus a video I made.....bike is a blast with more to come....

Ken

New Parts Update

Track conditions weren't that great today, but got to run some decent laps....

Everything worked really well and it is a different bike in a good way.

Gearing - I used the 44 rear and 3rd gear pulls really well and I can start to use 4th more. No longer have to use 2nd anymore...

ECU/Exhaust - Substantial difference! I didn't feel an amazing difference in outright power, but drivability and midrange have been completely changed. There used to be a pretty big hit at 7k, and now there is smooth power from 5k up with no hit....just a bit smooth power curve to redline. I couldn't tell a big difference with the exhaust. This is a great addition......

Shock - This really changed the bike. The Showa shock was 10mm longer than the stock shock as delivered and it really raised the rear up. I ended up lowering the rear to approx. the same dynamic ride height as where the stock shock was and it then worked well. I did take a little compression out from how the shock came, but otherwise left it alone. I did have to raise the front of the bike to help balance it out. Overall, very happy with the shock.

http://youtu.be/2CETq8D7IEs?list=UUImdRr8ctXvLtmp0FScHp0g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liZXxUw4zHY

Manxboy
12-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Ken, nice video and review with some great information.
How much did you raise the front end? You also said you couldn't tell a big difference with the exhaust, where you talking about the noise level?
Thanks for sharing this information it's going to help me, and anyone else, to set up our RX's a lot quicker.
I will be racing mine in WERA and AHRMA and likely will only have a track day or two before my first race in February so getting setup help is very helpful.
Pat Mooney.

khill
12-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Ken, nice video and review with some great information.
How much did you raise the front end? You also said you couldn't tell a big difference with the exhaust, where you talking about the noise level?
Thanks for sharing this information it's going to help me, and anyone else, to set up our RX's a lot quicker.
I will be racing mine in WERA and AHRMA and likely will only have a track day or two before my first race in February so getting setup help is very helpful.
Pat Mooney.

The front end has been raised 6mm...basically as much as it can go without the taper part being pushed ingot he triple clamp. Correct on the exhaust, it sounds great, but I wanted more!

I also moved the handlebars out a few mm's to get the ergs a bit better.

Ken

Hughlysses
12-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Very cool videos- thanks for posting.

Hugh

Classax
12-05-2014, 11:08 AM
Thanks Ken! Great review and right up!

dmhines
12-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Nice videos .. took a look at EBR store for gears ... would be nice if the ECM and Dash let you program the rear gear teeth. EBR says changing rear gear will impact your Speedo and Traction control. That sucks.

Ed / AF1 Racing
12-08-2014, 06:31 PM
We added a bunch of new EBR bits to the store today including the Showa shock and optional rear gearing.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=2804

khill
12-08-2014, 11:17 PM
We added a bunch of new EBR bits to the store today including the Showa shock and optional rear gearing.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=2804

Very cool! Do you have the Ohlins in stock?

Ed / AF1 Racing
12-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Very cool! Do you have the Ohlins in stock?

havent sold any yet to justify stocking the TTX yet. Should only take about a week to come in. EBR is getting faster and better on parts with every order we place.

We do stock what we call "critical" spares. We've built up about $3000 in a EBR parts supply for stock so far. Levers, pedals, mirrors, grips, turn signals, common gaskets needed for services, spark plugs, pads, basic hardwares, valve cover gaskets. The kind of stuff that keeps people from riding.

RV7PILOT
01-13-2015, 07:07 PM
Is it possible to compensate the speedometer and traction control for the larger sprockets?

Slowride
01-16-2015, 10:15 AM
Adam at EBR told me that the ECM could deal with up to 3 additional teeth on the rear without adversely affecting TC. I usually leave mine off anyway because it seems to affect power delivery. They are working on a programmable speedo fix.

pytalkamus
01-16-2015, 12:30 PM
Adam at EBR told me that the ECM could deal with up to 3 additional teeth on the rear without adversely affecting TC. I usually leave mine off anyway because it seems to affect power delivery. They are working on a programmable speedo fix.
I'm curious, does anyone understand why the speedo would be affected by changing gearing? I thought the speedo was only linked to the rear wheel speed sensor. Changing gearing doesn't change the rear wheel rpm to bike speed ratio, so what am I missing? I understand that TC would change, as it depends on engine rpm relative to rear wheel speed, but the speedo issue has me scratching my head.

Doug Porcaro
01-16-2015, 12:42 PM
I'm curious, does anyone understand why the speedo would be affected by changing gearing? I thought the speedo was only linked to the rear wheel speed sensor. Changing gearing doesn't change the rear wheel rpm to bike speed ratio, so what am I missing? I understand that TC would change, as it depends on engine rpm relative to rear wheel speed, but the speedo issue has me scratching my head.

I also wondered this..

dmhines
01-16-2015, 01:39 PM
This is same as folks that did the XB9 to XB12 Primary Gear swap for better low end on the XB12. If you did the swap with the Primary gear then the speedo would stay accurate. But if you just swapped Pulleys it would not. Most newer bikes that have ABS calculate speed off the ABS ring so swapping gears doesn't affect anything. The EBR must still be using the Primary for the Speedo timing.

Did Adam at EBR indicate there would be a software update to the Dash to allow selecting different sprockets? That would be cool.

I also see no sign of the Speed Shifter even though the Racing ECU supports it ..

Classax
01-16-2015, 04:07 PM
I will go on record and say that in spite of how smooth the gearbox is on the RX, a quickshifter is the one glaring omission that should have come stock at this price point. That's the one big short coming vs the competition.

mackja
01-17-2015, 01:45 PM
I will go on record and say that in spite of how smooth the gearbox is on the RX, a quickshifter is the one glaring omission that should have come stock at this price point. That's the one big short coming vs the competition.

I agree, quickshifter option should be standard on the bike, with that in mind, I set up a GP shifter with a DynoJet switch and EBR ecm, trying it out tomorrow.

EBRowdy
01-18-2015, 12:52 AM
How does it affect the TC. I just orders a 44t sprocket.

Gemini
01-18-2015, 08:38 AM
The speedo shouldn't be effected by sprocket change. The gear indicator would be

pytalkamus
01-18-2015, 11:00 AM
Adam at EBR told me that the ECM could deal with up to 3 additional teeth on the rear without adversely affecting TC. I usually leave mine off anyway because it seems to affect power delivery. They are working on a programmable speedo fix.The closest gear ratio is 5th to 6th, which is a change of 1.042/0.95=108.5%. As long as your change in rear sprocket is less than that, I wouldn't think it would adversely effect the gear indicator. Going up 3 teeth is an increase of 107.3%, so that makes perfect sense to me. Going up 4 teeth would be 109.8%, so I can see why that could cause the ECM to think you're still in 5th gear.