PDA

View Full Version : Front brakes

zviadi
11-08-2014, 06:54 PM
Hi all!
My question is about the reliability and features front brakes Buell and EBR.
Want to buy Buell 1125 or EBR 1190SX. What can you say about the operation of the brake system ZTL?
In my city there is no 1125 and throughout the country there is no EBR, so show yourself do not have any capabilities. In magazines write diametrically opposed - or strongly criticized, or highly praised. As all the same things, really?
At the moment I have two motorcycle - Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200 and the KTM Superduke 990. Before i ride to Aprilia RSV 1000 R.
I would like to know - will not disappoint me in the front brake design Eric after these motorcycles? Buell like me - I only like the twins.
I ride aggressive on the roads, so i need good brakes.
Thanks.

Hughlysses
11-10-2014, 05:34 PM
There is no debate that the ZTL is a great braking system for the street. There is still debate over whether it can be made to work as well as a state-of-the-art dual disk system (Brembo or similar) in top-tier racing conditions.

There have been issues with some Buells with un-even brake pad material deposition on the rotor, or with the rotor becoming warped. Either of these conditions creates pulsing/shuddering when the brake is applied. Use of aftermarket brake pads (EBC or Lyndall) will help prevent this problem. There is also an improved front rotor mounting hardware kit available from EBR for use on earlier Buells that will help prevent the rotor from warping.

I ride an XB12X Ulysses which suffered from this problem after about 15,000 miles. I bought an improved brake rotor with mounting hardware from EBR and switched to EBC brake pads. I am almost to 50,000 miles now and have had absolutely no braking issues since I made the switch.

zviadi
11-11-2014, 02:09 AM
Thanx!
That is, it is with the braking performance of any problems with aggressive driving?

Hughlysses
11-11-2014, 10:52 AM
Classax has lots of experience with the ZTL in very aggressive riding (track days) with his 1190RX. I sent him a PM and asked him to comment on this thread.

Doosh
11-11-2014, 09:04 PM
You will be fine. The rx braking system has remedied the classic problems with the single rotor set up for all but the very fastest riders.

zviadi
11-12-2014, 01:16 AM
And what were the classical problem? I just do not know... It is overheating and pulling to one side?

At 1125 they were? It's just that I'm more available for the money and I plan to take to replace superduke 990.

mackja
11-13-2014, 03:41 PM
Brakes work great, I have been riding this brake system for 6 years, I run an 1125r as my track bike, run about 10-12 weekends per year, and no problem. Steet will most certainly be no issue.

zviadi
11-14-2014, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the reply.
And a little off topic branches. Drive belt normally runs shifting down on high revs with adding gas? Will not tear from stress? The belt normally holds the load?
Or for this purpose it is necessary to put a chain kit?

And about the pneumatic power clutch (PPC) system. Have it on 1125 and 1190.
A similar system is installed on the Aprilia with Rotax engines. It works terribly, I was immediately off - removed the rubber hose from the clutch housing.
Does not cause any problems it work on Buells?

Hughlysses
11-14-2014, 06:11 PM
The belt handles the power fine. The main reason people change to chain drives is for ease in changing the final drive ratio. No issues with downshifting that I've ever heard of.

Never heard any complaints about the vacuum actuated slipper clutch either except that some people say it doesn't slip enough.

Classax
12-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Sorry to get back to you late on the PM. The brakes work fine. They are just different. On your typical Brembo set up, you get a lot of initial bite and then they tail off and get stronger with pull. On the ZTL its a direct correlation to the amount the lever effort. Light effort light braking, heavy effort and you can fling yourself over the bars at whatever rate you wish! VERY fun and confidence inspiring for trail braking hard. As for the slipper clutch, I TRY to blip and rev match ole school style while using the slipper clutch in my left paw, which is fun and negates the need the for the slipper 98% of the time. The 2% or more times I screw that up the slipper helps keep me from hitting the deck. I try not to need it.

ljm
12-03-2014, 05:28 PM
As a comparison between the RS (suter clutch) and the SX, you can definitely tell the suter is working. It is noticable. On the SX, less intervention but there. I am with Classax on rpm matching though, and only my stupidity makes for use of the slipper in most cases.

the todd
12-13-2014, 10:28 AM
The Buell front brakes are the best I have ever used, I road a XB12R for 2 years, stopping a wheel from the center takes much more effort than stopping it from the rim, It's a genius idea.

zviadi
12-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Thank you all for the answers. You helped me to make a choice.
I will buy 1125. Would 1190, but the economic situation in my country does not allow...