PDA

View Full Version : Front Rotor Vibration

fknroger
09-15-2014, 04:33 PM
Anyone experienced any type of shudder/vibration under braking in the front end? I did this weekend, under some pretty hard braking in a corner (entry speed around 70-80mph). So violent that I could barely see from the vibration it caused and I had to blow the corner and stand the bike up. Got on and off the brakes and it kept re-occurring, luckily I had plenty of run off room. They were not cold, warm at best. Could it be the stock pads? It never re-occurred again after that corner, but has a small shudder now at all times under heavy braking.

Classax
09-16-2014, 04:18 AM
How many miles? Was it vibration in the brake lever or front end chatter from the suspension in the bars?

fknroger
09-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Front End vibration transmitted through the forks, wasn't tire hop, it was definitely through the caliper/rotor. Bike has 1300 miles. Front tire was not hopping up and down, it was a violent vibration transferred up through the triple clamps into the bars. blurred my vision.

FYI, the rotor is not discolored or warped in any way, checked it on a stand to see f there was any kind of friction or drag.

Hughlysses
09-16-2014, 08:18 PM
Have you called your dealer? There was a problem with the surface finish on some of the rotors that caused this. I don't think it's an official recall, but I'm sure the dealer will replace it under warranty.

fknroger
09-19-2014, 04:40 PM
Dealer is ordering a replacement rotor, thanks for the suggestion Hughlysses. Hoping it's the fix,

Flobert
09-24-2014, 05:31 AM
any updates on this?

fknroger
10-10-2014, 06:05 PM
No, still waiting on EBR to send rotor

Smarty
10-13-2014, 02:32 AM
Mine did this. Rotor was replaced and the brakes are excellent. ��

EBRowdy
12-11-2014, 01:23 AM
I've got my 2nd rotor for the same pulsing in the front from breaking. Got both of mine really quick.

zviadi
05-30-2015, 04:40 PM
============

zviadi
05-30-2015, 04:43 PM
Also there is a small ripple of the rotor. Also, my rotor was covered in colors of tint. And he still has the marks from the beating of brake pads. Is this normal? Brake pads is stock.
Very strange behavior of the motorcycle in case of strong braking - can't catch the moment when the braking goes to the wheel to lock. If not press down on the lever strongly't need slowing down, if you continue to press until the desired deceleration of the wheel locking. This is a feature specific motorcycle or all brakes ZTL? After Brembo is very unusual.

zviadi
08-22-2016, 01:14 PM
Today we measured the beating of my rotor - 0.3 mm in two places.
We'll have to change it. There are three options:
1. Buy original EBR rotor.
2. Buy rotor from 1125.
3. Find kit for remaking the front brake system on dual braking discs 320 mm (analogue to use Canepa in WSBK).

The cheapest is option to buy a rotor from 1125, but I am afraid that he too was beating some time (stock rotor it constantly discoloration after braking). No track, road use only.
What do you recommend?

buell-fan
08-23-2016, 11:53 AM
You should get a better rotor from EBR this time around. They worked out a bad batch of them that were ground bad.

Jbaker229
08-23-2016, 01:24 PM
http://ebrforum.com/showthread.php?894-Front-Brake-Cooked-200-Miles&highlight=Cooked

This is my saga, I know everyone will disagree with me here, but you can actually fix it by grinding the pads. Mine still shutters once in a blue blue moon, but i also saved $500 on a rotor.

Before and After attached (reverse order)

zviadi
08-23-2016, 02:36 PM
For discoloration I'm not worried. If it were only in them - I would not even think to change the rotor.
The problem is that the rotor has vibrated... very unpleasant, especially at high speeds.

TerryS1980
08-24-2016, 07:07 AM
If you're not a track rider then you can go with Braking or Galfer rotor for a lot cheaper. I had Galfer on my old XB and CR. Very nice rotors.

Mike
08-25-2016, 12:17 PM
DO NOT use the stock brake pads.
The vibration/shuddering is from minor hot spots on the rotor. It appears to be a combination of things that cause it. The pads hit these spots and this is the way the pads react to the hard spots.
1. The stock pads leave a residue on the rotor. This causes light/mild hard spots to form on the surface of the rotor from the excessive heat.
2. For whatever reason, the caliper pistons do not properly retract into the caliper when the handle is released, this ALSO causes excessive...unwanted heat. Note...there should be NO interaction between pad and rotor when the brake is not squeezed.

I noticed that the spots on my rotor are slowly being ground off with the new EBC, HH pads. They are about 1/2 of their normal size and most of the vibration is now gone. The pads seem to be about 85-90% bedded in at this point.

Several notable differences, all good...so far...

Mike

Jbaker229
08-25-2016, 04:36 PM
For discoloration I'm not worried. If it were only in them - I would not even think to change the rotor.
The problem is that the rotor has vibrated... very unpleasant, especially at high speeds.

Definitely try new pads, or sanding the old pads. If the wobble has just started to develop, then it might be wise to get a new rotor. Discoloration is going to happen on all rotors as pad material adheres to the rotor surface.

zviadi
08-26-2016, 12:50 AM
If the wobble has just started to develop

No wobbling! Vibration.
For six months my mileage nearly 12000 miles and I replaced 5 sets of front pads, and 3 sets of rear pads. The fifth front set also almost erased - after 500 miles it's time to change.
I use Braking sets, EBC worse brakes and squealing loudly (on me turned around car drivers - probably thought that I brake at the limit :lol:). The worst pad set - stock pads.

Jbaker229
08-26-2016, 02:19 PM
No wobbling! Vibration.
For six months my mileage nearly 12000 miles and I replaced 5 sets of front pads, and 3 sets of rear pads. The fifth front set also almost erased - after 500 miles it's time to change.
I use Braking sets, EBC worse brakes and squealing loudly (on me turned around car drivers - probably thought that I brake at the limit :lol:). The worst pad set - stock pads.

I would definitely suggest a new rotor then! They are about $400+ directly from EBR. You can probably contact their parts department and have them ship directly to Russia. Good luck! I bet it will make a big difference.

zviadi
08-27-2016, 02:35 AM
I wrote about the number of replaced pad as a result of normal wear and tear. This is my riding style on this bike. Brake pads wear is independent of the rotor condition.
Probably, you are right - it is better to buy original EBR rotor.
Thanks to all.