PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Rebuilt Their Own Rear Shock?

jeremyconnors
04-09-2021, 10:30 PM
Got my complete RX Showa, ready for love.
Got the lighter weight spring standing by.
Can't figure out how to crack this thing open, to do, well, anything.. to it! :AR15firing:

PS not trying to send this out to anybody for a pro job that far exceeds value on my frankenbike. Any experience/advices appreciated!

Cooter
04-09-2021, 11:24 PM
Swapping on a spring is an easy task. A proper shock "re-build" can be done but takes enough specialty tools and parts to not make it worth the learning curve $$

jeremyconnors
04-10-2021, 07:04 PM
I can accept that, Cooter, Thanks for discerning! So,
How do get the ^$#% spring out of there?

Swapping on a spring is an easy task. A proper shock "re-build" can be done but takes enough specialty tools and parts to not make it worth the learning curve $$

Cooter
04-10-2021, 11:07 PM
Drop the preload all the way, compress the whole spring assembly a little, and the 2 halves by the rebound damper that are currently captured by the washer will drop out and the assembly can slide down over the lower mount

Thats one of the halves.

That looks nicer than a Ludwigson frame, NCCR?

and you better shut some of your toolbox drawers before that **** falls over, LOL.

jeremyconnors
04-11-2021, 11:30 AM
OMG, Busted! :embarrassed:

(https://emojipedia.org/flushed-face/) ^That's how I tinker.

THANKS for taking the time to so clearly lay that out, Cooter! I thought is was weird that there were no visible compression locker rings..! I'll get on it later on with fingers crossed it's that simple!

PS Daniel hasn't been the most responsive these days -- I'm rooting for Revision Moto to run w/ that design soon, though. I went w/ David's race-proven Bott frame. NCCR seems to require a bit more, erm.. skill.. than I likely have, at present, to get completed, plus, I can't find any examples of completed at-home projects either..

Drop the preload all the way, compress the whole spring assembly a little, and the 2 halves by the rebound damper that are currently captured by the washer will drop out and the assembly can slide down over the lower mount

Thats one of the halves.

That looks nicer than a Ludwigson frame, NCCR?

and you better shut some of your toolbox drawers before that **** falls over, LOL.

jeremyconnors
04-11-2021, 01:16 PM
You’re the sh!t, Coot,
Only hard part was finding straps w/ short enough webbing leads before the hooks..

And for anybody who thinks this isn’t dangerous, one side came flying off, mid-torque, so.. yay, eye-protection! https://mail.google.com/mail/e/1f44d