PDA

View Full Version : Gas mileage after upgrades

Adanrubeno
01-04-2021, 12:13 PM
I have long commute to work that is mostly highway and I have noticed a change in my gas mileage. I remember the gas light coming on around 140miles or so on the trip meter. Now its coming on just after 100miles.

Around 13k on the odometer, I added the race ecm, secondary muffler removed, tank vent rerouted to atmosphere, de-noided, 44t rear sprocket. Now I'm up to 15k on the odometer.

I was riding stock before these upgrades and covid changed my commute since there are now less people on the road. Could it just be that I'm heavier on the throttle now with all this open road and thats dropping my gas mileage? Anyone have any similar mpg drop?

LeesEBR
01-04-2021, 03:07 PM
Increasing performance almost always increases fuel consumption.

Larger rear sprocket also puts cruising RPM higher.

Cooter
01-05-2021, 12:30 AM
If you're too lazy to divide the trip meter you re-set when you fill up, by the gallons you put in....

The dash has an MPG readout.:nut:

Adanrubeno
01-07-2021, 01:15 PM
The gas mpg on the dash is the same. That's why it's wierd to me that the gas light comes in so much earlier than usual.

Cooter
01-07-2021, 07:57 PM
Well, one of the two is wrong. Missing 40 miles is about a whole gallon of gas, and thats about a ​quarter tank.

I'd suggest:

... to divide the trip meter you re-set when you fill up, by the gallons you put in.... for an accurate MPG number.

When the low fuel light comes on are you putting the same amount of gas in it that you used too? Or about a gallon less now? Look at your past fuel charges on your card if you can't remember.

The sensor is just a thermistor, perhaps you are getting closer to that needing to be replaced. Been a small issue with some.

LeesEBR
01-11-2021, 04:28 PM
The sensor is just a thermistor, perhaps you are getting closer to that needing to be replaced. Been a small issue with some.
It's actually a float, in the 1190's. Stock floats are known to get logged with fuel to the point they don't float anymore and the light stays on constant.

BURNOUTKID11
01-12-2021, 10:26 AM
I will make the claim that I get the best mileage on a 1190. My 30+ mile commute to school always is over 40 and usually near or above 45 mpg. I have 3 comments, 1. go back to 41 teeth, unless you need to ride at a certain rpm you aren't helping anything. 2. my previous bikes both took a hit after being tuned, stock usually gives the best mileage. 3. Slow down, you mentioned less traffic so speeds will be higher, my best mileage ever came while riding under 65.

Adanrubeno
01-14-2021, 11:58 AM
Well, one of the two is wrong. Missing 40 miles is about a whole gallon of gas, and thats about a ​quarter tank.

I'd suggest:
for an accurate MPG number.

When the low fuel light comes on are you putting the same amount of gas in it that you used too? Or about a gallon less now? Look at your past fuel charges on your card if you can't remember.

I am putting the same amount of gas back in when I refill. I guess I need to do some math to get a real accurate mpg.

Adanrubeno
01-14-2021, 12:00 PM
I will make the claim that I get the best mileage on a 1190. My 30+ mile commute to school always is over 40 and usually near or above 45 mpg. I have 3 comments, 1. go back to 41 teeth, unless you need to ride at a certain rpm you aren't helping anything. 2. my previous bikes both took a hit after being tuned, stock usually gives the best mileage. 3. Slow down, you mentioned less traffic so speeds will be higher, my best mileage ever came while riding under 65.

Slowing down is probably the answer. It is quite difficult to let off the throttle with all this open highway though.

Doug Porcaro
01-14-2021, 06:25 PM
It's actually a float, in the 1190's. Stock floats are known to get logged with fuel to the point they don't float anymore and the light stays on constant.

Well the 1190RS has a thermistor ;) so does 1125 (same sending unit) (this may be useful to somebody someday)

For extended highway cruising 42 or 41 tooth would probably make the most difference other than just having less fun, haha

BURNOUTKID11
01-16-2021, 12:21 PM
While slowing down helps, long rides really help. The warmup cycle seems to really run rich, the less warmup cycles you have per tank the better. I just checked my notes from a long ride this summer, 6 days 1700 miles 45.6 MPG and we did not do the speed limit. The EBR did get the best mileage of the group by 2-8 mpg (liter bikes and sport tourers)

Cooter
01-16-2021, 09:18 PM
I got an indicated 32.5mpg today for 2 tank fulls. But it was completely my fault :301: