PDA

View Full Version : Bad head gasket

bjpell
09-09-2019, 09:08 AM
1300miles on my bike 5 months old. I just did my second refill of radiator fluid into the resivor since buying the bike new in april. Nothing leaking on the ground. Did a pressure check of the system and have a leak. Goes from 14lbs to 0 in about 45 mins. Oil looks good. Lots of moisture shooting out the secondary about a minute after start, my guess--radiator fluid from a bad head gasket. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cooter
09-09-2019, 11:39 AM
Ugh, thats what it sounds like to me:(
I can't think of another way radiator fluid gets into the exhaust

gggGary
09-09-2019, 01:58 PM
My "new this February" 14 needed several refills of radiator fluid til it stabilized at about 1,000 miles on it. "Wet" exhaust is normal on cold start.

bjpell
09-09-2019, 07:21 PM
It was about 70 degrees out so I expected very little water vapor. I took a video of the water droplets shooting out the back of the exhaust. I need to find out how to post the video up so maybe you guys can watch it and tell me if this looks normal. I don't think it just needed fluid added to the radiator. That was my initial thought the first time I added fluid to the reservoir. I don't see a leak anywhere, but I have not taken the bike apart to look.

I talked to EBR today and they told me to bring it in and have it looked at. The closest mechanic/ dealership they said is a 3 hour drive each way.

gggGary
09-09-2019, 08:18 PM
IIRC There's a thing about a crack happening at the overflow tank/ hose connection.

bjpell
09-10-2019, 08:28 AM
Tell me what you think, you can see the water shoot out the exhaust.
https://youtu.be/bPOcxkqW86o
The video starts exactly 1 minute after starting the motorcycle.

bjpell
09-12-2019, 05:42 AM
Bueller...Bueller....Bueller...

Cooter
09-12-2019, 07:11 PM
Looks like condensation to me? ...coincidence that the coolant level was going down?....

bjpell
09-13-2019, 10:17 AM
It could be, it is possible. I'm taking her 3hrs away tomorrow morning to an EBR approved mechanic to diagnose the fluid loss, and do any warranty work she might need.

bjpell
12-31-2019, 01:38 PM
Follow up. After a few months of being in the shop and a dely due to a communication issue with EBR, my bike is fixed. The problem was a bad water pump according to the mechanic, it was leaking while under and that's why I never saw anything on the ground when parked. New pump installed, good to go for spring.

Cooter
12-31-2019, 02:28 PM
That would be very odd. Keep an eye on it, you can even get your own radiator pressure tester kit cheap.

EBRRider
12-31-2019, 04:57 PM
Usually a seal in the water pump housing goes bad it leaks out of the weep hole and you see it leaking out. Not in your exhaust ?????

LeesEBR
01-02-2020, 02:09 PM
The condensation in the exhaust is simply a byproduct of combustion; Octane + Oxygen = CO2 + Water

mnscrounger
01-21-2020, 08:11 PM
The condensation in the exhaust is simply a byproduct of combustion; Octane + Oxygen = CO2 + Water
Yup My SX Beta bike huffs like a steamboat about 35 seconds after start and continues until the fans come on, but the coolant level never changes ( so far).

bueller757
02-04-2020, 09:30 AM
check the left side fairing on the bottom front corner for staining, some of the drain plugs on the radiator leaked. Mine had a brown residue that was cooked on just had to unscrew and reset the drain plug. Also check for a leaking water pump seal on the right side underneath the exhaust just above the clutch housing