PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

Bob
12-28-2018, 01:51 PM
Don't know if I'm supposed to introduce first in meet and greet but - -

I've just sold a bike and am looking at maybe my next bike being an EBR1190. I'll probably get more serious in late spring 2019.

Sometimes it is a little hard to tell whether a bike listed in this section is already sold. I'm sure when I get serious I'll find out.

Greetings everyone,
Bob

Cooter
12-29-2018, 03:32 AM
Hi Bob:) Welcome!

What did you sell? Are you ready for 185hp and ludicrous torque on a 400lb motorcycle? :)

Bob
12-29-2018, 04:06 PM
Hi Bob:) Welcome!

What did you sell? Are you ready for 185hp and ludicrous torque on a 400lb motorcycle? :)

I just sold a Ducati ST4s. It has the 996 former superbike engine. I sold a Ducati Diavel to buy the ST to get the luggage. I didn't love taking the cage to the store. The Diavel doesn't quite have the power to weight ratio of the EBR but the 0 to 60 times were comparable. The ST4s has a pretty high center of gravity and the side stand doesn't reach out very far so one has to be very careful where to park. And... the periodic maintenance costs are way up there.

A friend has an 1125CR and just loves it so I thought I'd give it a try. Then I discovered the 1190.

Cooter
12-30-2018, 12:44 PM
Sounds to me like you'll love it:)

Bob
12-30-2018, 07:03 PM
Hey Cooter... I think I like the 1190RX a little better than the SX but both are great. But I've also seen that there is an 1125R with a full fairing and I kind of like that too. I've seen you on the other forum so I'm guessing you are the one to ask. Are there some big reasons why I would like one more than the other? Does one have issues that make it less desirable?

Not just Cooter - I'd like opinions from any 1125 / 1190 person. TIA, Bob

Cooter
12-30-2018, 11:37 PM
I've had both and really loved my CR. It ended up being a track only bike (Florida... what else you gonna do?). I beat on it mercilessly, maintained it well, and it never let me down. You better pass in the corners because they'll catch you by the end of the straight though:( They are fast fun and way cheap. I have heard from more than one source that nothing slides on it's side better than a Buell 1125, not sure what to make of that?
Some of them ('09's) need attention to the charging system ($300-400) that's well documented, upgrades and parts are plentiful and cheap, add a quick shifter, IDS ECM, Keda or APH exhaust and have a blast!

I got the SX delivered to my door for much less than $9K and Holy Hell I knew right away it was going to kill me, but I did't care. I have ridden a BMW S1000r, Duc Pani (LE and Superleggera), and the only thing close is the 1290 KTM. It's amazing, and the specs on paper don't do it justice. Look how the torque curve absolutely smashes every other bike from idle to it's redline. I have never ridden a bike that is so immediately, violently, powerful when you twist the throttle at 8500rpm.
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/855/29924623838_c4f6f44c10_c.jpg
Parts are easy to find and mostly very cheap. Some issues with the early bikes may be a dash panel ($350) and eating sprockets ($35). I'd recommend a quick shifter (the sensor literally bolts on), a 43 tooth rear sprocket (stock chain fits), I have a IDS ECM and APH exhaust that made a world of difference, and a taller windscreen for the RX so you can see the dash at full tuck, lol.

Bob
12-31-2018, 12:53 PM
I seem to be getting logged out before finishing a reply.

Bob
12-31-2018, 12:59 PM
Thanks a million, Cooter. The most help I've gotten with this question. That graph is incredible. And thanks for the commentary.

I'll be looking for a daily rider. I've done a couple classes and track days but I'll not be racing. And it would be difficult to go back to a wee wee bike.

So, which would you choose for a daily rider?

Cooter
12-31-2018, 07:13 PM
Glad to help. I drank Eric's Kool-Aid a long time ago:) I haven't ridden an RX to know if the ergo's fit me personally, but I've taken the SX for 400+ mile hard riding 10-12 hour days with no complaint from the bike or my taint. I am planning on installing clip-ons and a Hotbodies RX fairing to it though...
The CR had the sexy Clubmans on it that I couldn't stand for more than 50 miles, but a high bar kit solved that completely. FYI, I thought the stock seat on the 1125 was better than the Saddleman.

BTW, I take the Ss converted STT absolutely EVERYWHERE, including a 700+ mile single day (to finish a 4000 mile month) last August down the west coast... and would absolutely turn around and do it again the next day on the same bike. As weekend fun, you're on the right track (PUN!). But as a daily, an XB will win the day, the week and the month. A totally different ride.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/950/41051789544_1155de23b3_b.jpg
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/888/40707211534_e4a6fd9d5e_b.jpg

Thats a rear tire lock up stripe in the frost!! I hugged the cooling fans that day to be sure!
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4744/25752541957_bd7cb985a8_b.jpg
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4554/38903275971_c93f3c6a30_b.jpg

Bob
12-31-2018, 07:31 PM
Ooo. More good info. The thing is, SWMBO doesn't like the street fighter look. For whatever reason, a full fairing looks respectable . ??

Yeah, I have the Ironbutt. Rode from Seattle to Annapolis in 2 ½ days. But I'm a little older now. Don't need such long days.

So I'm gonna lurk for a couple months and buy in March. I hope. I hadn't thought about an XB. But, again, I think I need to get a full fairing and I'd kind of tuned in on the 1125 or 1190. I'll stay open minded.

History;
BMW R bike
Honda V65 Sabre
BMW K1
Honda RC51
Honda CBR11XX
Ducati Diavel
Ducati ST4s

Young fellas might not understand a BMW k1. Picture below. Can't find a picture of mine cuz I've changed phones and computers a couple times since then. This is a 1992 k1. They were about 100 horsepower and pretty heavy. The footpegs were really high cuz it was real wide because of the "brick" of an engine. I bought it new and sold it with 160,000 miles on it. Between 30 and 40 Kmiles a year. Still running strong.

Bob
01-01-2019, 09:36 AM
Yeah, so I had a look at Cooter's profile - trying to find out how many of these bikes he still owns. Couldn't tell.
But what do you know? Cooter doesn't have any friends. Who'd a thunk it?

EBRRider
01-01-2019, 10:03 AM
Just ask him, he will tell ya . ^^^^^

Bob
01-01-2019, 10:40 AM
I don't have a basement so I think he would be a good friend.

Cooter
01-01-2019, 02:33 PM
You guys are funny:tongue:. Believe it or not I only go to 5 places on the web (besides shopping, of course) and this is one of them. EBRrider knows one more... lol, so I don't get too far in building profiles and collecting likes, but I've met some good friends on here and had a few great rides!

Bob, you have a great moto history! I drooled over the K-1. When it came out I was still on my '86 Ninja 1000r and couldn't afford it without eating Top Ramen for years. Still think I should have...

Currently I have the EBR, XBSTT, and a CB550 in the garage. Just sold the XB9City X to a board member and not really looking to fill it's place until the car projects are further along. Gotta stay busy, but not too busy! I'm working on a how-to video for the valve adjust the EBR needs, but it looks like that got pushed back to maybe March:(

EBRRider
01-01-2019, 05:34 PM
You guys are funny:tongue:. Believe it or not I only go to 5 places on the web (besides shopping, of course) and this is one of them. EBRrider knows one more... lol,

Yea I have not seen you on the Gunboard in a few months, :AR15firing::AR15firing:

Cooter
01-02-2019, 01:23 AM
Ha! I am building a new pew pew.

The hole in the important end is HUGE:deadly:

Bob
01-02-2019, 08:30 AM
Like half an inch?

Bob
01-02-2019, 11:07 AM
Seems like I ought to keep with the topic... It says Buell for sale or wanted. I want a Buell. Gotta save my allowance.

I've seen a couple with luggage. Now wouldn't that be IT ! A hooligan bike I could take to the store. But I do like the full fairing - - Well SWMBO likes them better so it makes it an easier sell.

Cooter
01-03-2019, 02:05 AM
Optomist on BuellXB.com is a great guy from up north in Canadia-land and mounted a rack on the back of his EBR. He probably has pics to share if you PM him on there.

and "Point five-oh" isn't a measurement. It's a lifestyle! :pray:

Bob
01-03-2019, 09:34 AM
Optomist on BuellXB.com is a great guy from up north in Canadia-land and mounted a rack on the back of his EBR. He probably has pics to share if you PM him on there.

and "Point five-oh" isn't a measurement. It's a lifestyle! :pray:

The guy I bought the ST4s from couldn't find a top case mount so he had one made. I don't know the details but it was quite expensive. But nice

My friends won't shoot my point four four M any more. "hurts their wrist"

Which is a good forum for 1125 info? I don't seem to be able to get an account at BuellXB dot com.

Cooter
01-06-2019, 09:39 PM
Thats odd. BuellXB.com should be fine? Try Badweatherbikers.com mostly Uly but a vast wealth of knowledge from a few of the original players.

Bob
01-07-2019, 06:29 PM
I did finally get signed up to XB. Thanks. I love it that the folks on these forums are pretty knowledgeable .

Bob
02-05-2019, 01:02 PM
I'm still in learn and decide mode. I'll admit to a bit of an addiction to torque (and HP) but... Maybe I should be practical?

Awhile back some guy in the basement said : "But as a daily, an XB will win the day, the week and the month."

With that in mind, which XB (or XBs) are at the top of the list? TIA, Bob

Cooter
02-05-2019, 03:55 PM
I have a long inseam so I would take my Ss converted STT to go to the store for milk, or ride with Obi-Wan and Charlie around this little blue marble. The combo of long suspension travel, packable frame length, light weight, and Flintstones-era tech dependability (fixability?) are all wins to me. Flickable size, and long distance comfort. Still have to get more fuel in her though....

StrangeTrip
02-05-2019, 05:49 PM
Hey Bob, welcome to the Fun!
I got a 2006 XB12Ss and a 2015 EBR SX. The XB is like a well trained, quarter horse. And the SX is like a Stallion during breeding season. The XB is more city traffic friendly and the SX just wants to get out and Run! They are both a LOT of fun, and they both handle the curves excellent. The XB, you can putt around or hammer it and it performs well (12 second 1/4 mile). The SX is wicked fast (10 second 1/4 mile) but is less friendly with slow speeds and traffic. I think a lot depends on where you are going to ride it the most.

Bob
02-07-2019, 07:17 AM
For sure I'd like an EBR but I don't have the financial resources. (I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy) So I had thought that an 1125 might be almost as good. I discovered that a friend has an 1125 and that kind of started it. He said the 'Rotax' was worth it. But now I'm finding that an XB (Harley power) might be the way to go. So what about the Ulyses? Does its off-road suspension concessions change an XB enough to take away from canyon carving fun?

StrangeTrip
02-07-2019, 10:33 AM
I would say, try to ride them all first and see which feels the best. Go to www.cycle-ergo.com and put in your info and you can see how you will fit the various bikes. I know the Ulysses guys love them, more comfort, taller handlebars and more upright seating position. Taller suspension too. The XB Ulysses and the XB12Ss share the same frame, little bit longer for taller guys. All the other XB's have the shorter frame. Financially speaking, I would say an XB would be best bet, oil changes, batteries and tires are about it. Easy maintenance.

Cooter
02-07-2019, 12:18 PM
I agree with StrangeTrip. Theres no better bang/buck than an XB. Especially for a daily. Pick the right one though! They made them long and short, super low, low, medium, tall, and super tall, small engine and big engine. Pick your poison. Either way, you never be adjusting valves, lubing or replacing the chain, flushing the coolant...
I have noticed that by initially spending a little more for a nice example makes a HUGE difference in the trouble you'll get by buying one that been beat on its whole life.

My XB-STT has tall suspension similar to a Uly and I have no chicken strips at all on the back tire. You won't be sacrificing any handling if a tall bike fits you better, but you sure will ride it more:)

Bob
02-07-2019, 06:11 PM
Ah hah. Looking like an XB is the likely choice. The Uly looks comfy and practical but the R looks to be more sporty. Oh golly.

EBRRider
02-08-2019, 09:44 AM
Welcome Bob, above S Trip & Cooter Hit the nail on the head tell you about the XB Great bikes I have a SX and a XB ,I love my XB 09 SCG.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4911/31264136887_b2a615e600_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/PCGSET)3 some_056 (https://flic.kr/p/PCGSET) by Jack Joseph (https://www.flickr.com/photos/156119726@N06/), on Flickr

Bob
02-08-2019, 03:03 PM
Thanks for all.. Please excuse me for dragging this out but there isn't much money and I'd like to get it right.

Is there a place to learn which XB has which ?... They made them long and short, super low, low, medium, tall, and super tall, small engine and big engine.

More thanks. :o)

EBRRider
02-08-2019, 04:32 PM
http://daviddreesen.blogspot.com/2015/01/buell-motorcycles-1983-2009.html

Bob
02-08-2019, 04:50 PM
http://daviddreesen.blogspot.com/2015/01/buell-motorcycles-1983-2009.html

Thanks Mr. Rider. Is that a Dutch website? They seem to be good about scooter info.

Bob
02-08-2019, 07:01 PM
I should go to the XB forum. If I get an 1190 I'll be back. Bob

alaxjordan0
05-27-2019, 03:37 AM
Don't know if I'm supposed to introduce first in meet and greet but - -

I've just sold a bike and am looking at maybe my next bike being an EBR1190. I'll probably get more serious in late spring 2019.

Sometimes it is a little hard to tell whether a bike listed in this section is already sold. I'm sure when I get serious I'll find out.

Greetings everyone,
Bob

Welcome
Yes, I am sure that you are serious about getting EBR1190 and you will be successful.
Thanks

bjpell
05-30-2019, 08:46 PM
Cooter, do you have a hp graph comparing the same bikes? What year are the bikes that are being compared in the torque graph you posted?

Cooter
06-01-2019, 12:54 AM
Not sure what you mean by the first part, I believe they made that graph when EBR was new in 2014. Look for the APH graph! Damn near 30 (bhp) gain is unbelievably impressive:)