PDA

View Full Version : Potential 1190 Buyer Question

floatn
08-02-2018, 01:50 PM
Hi

I am thinking of picking up a used 14 1190RX and am doing some homework before I decide to buy or not.

I'm pretty sure I can find a Buell Mechanic that can service it and I know the Company closed again.
My questions center around spare parts and availability.

Questions:

Were parts hard to get ahold of when EBR was open and in business?
Do you think parts / fairings will be non existent in a few years?
What is your opinions or advise on someone thinking of buying an EBR at this point in time?

I just don't want this thing turning into a big beautiful paper-weight in a year or two.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Thank you for your help.

Hughlysses
08-02-2018, 07:18 PM
EBR is still open and in business; they are just not currently building new motorcycles. You can still get parts through the few remaining dealers. You can find a list of dealers at EBR.com. Also, Liquid Asset Partners (LAP, the current owners of EBR) lists a lot of “excess” EBR parts on eBay.

I don’t think parts will be a problem for 10 years or more. After that, I think where there’s a will, there’s a way.

I bought one one a year ago, and I haven’t regretted that decision yet. You won’t get nearly as much bike for the money anywhere.

EBRRider
08-02-2018, 07:36 PM
parts, http://www.erikbuellracing.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/EBR_MASTER_MSRP_price_list_28%20Sep%202017.pdf

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=202194695612&hash=item2f13be35bc%3Ag%3AS1sAAOSwL9paYgnx&_ssn=liquid_performance&_sop=10

Great bike you will love it !!!!!!!!! Did I mention you will love it ?

Cooter
08-02-2018, 10:09 PM
Answers:
No, not at all
Absolutely not
Do it. Do it. Do It.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/855/29924623838_c4f6f44c10_c.jpg

floatn
08-03-2018, 03:50 PM
EBR is still open and in business; they are just not currently building new motorcycles. You can still get parts through the few remaining dealers. You can find a list of dealers at EBR.com. Also, Liquid Asset Partners (LAP, the current owners of EBR) lists a lot of “excess” EBR parts on eBay.

I don’t think parts will be a problem for 10 years or more. After that, I think where there’s a will, there’s a way.

I bought one one a year ago, and I haven’t regretted that decision yet. You won’t get nearly as much bike for the money anywhere.

Thank you all, for the Info. :cheers:

There are only 2 bikes that have blown my skirt up for the last few years .
This one and an RC8R.

It's hard for me to choose one.

Question:
What kind of money does an EBR demand for maintenance and the scheduled frequency of maintenance?

In your opinion, is the money & frequency more like an old Ducati or regular Japanese bike?

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't like surprises when I buy stuff.

Thank you

Cooter
08-03-2018, 09:33 PM
Much better than ANY Duc. about the same as a race bike from the big 3.
Not much to maintain, fluids, chain sprockets. First valve adjust at 6K. Needs an engine rotate to do that. Are you a mechanic? If you (really) are then no worries. If you are NOT, find a good V-twin shop and ask them, the adjust itself is not EBR specific. See if they are capable to R&R the valve covers.

They have proven to be very reliable, especially for a "True race engine": Erik Buell.

floatn
08-06-2018, 01:39 PM
Much better than ANY Duc. about the same as a race bike from the big 3.
Not much to maintain, fluids, chain sprockets. First valve adjust at 6K. Needs an engine rotate to do that. Are you a mechanic? If you (really) are then no worries. If you are NOT, find a good V-twin shop and ask them, the adjust itself is not EBR specific. See if they are capable to R&R the valve covers.

They have proven to be very reliable, especially for a "True race engine": Erik Buell.

No, I'm not a Mechanic.
But Crap!!......I wish I could go back in time and become one.
Would have saved myself $$ thousands $$ over the years!!

Do you happen to have a loose "Ball Park" of what a 6k mile valve adjustment would cost? (for a mechanic to do)

Thank you

EBRRider
08-06-2018, 03:57 PM
No, I'm not a Mechanic.
But Crap!!......I wish I could go back in time and become one.
Would have saved myself $$ thousands $$ over the years!!

Do you happen to have a loose "Ball Park" of what a 6k mile valve adjustment would cost? (for a mechanic to do)

Thank you

Ball park $500.

floatn
08-06-2018, 06:35 PM
Thank you.

I appreciate the help.

EBRRider
08-06-2018, 06:39 PM
https://youtu.be/BizqpNIOWJk (https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FBizqpNIOWJk&h=AT3_hgUb8JBygAKp0WX6G8C2RYy5PK-XnTINEYPK5jQPTaVye4kcrLFOirPTYVgQqDX33-Qva_5tWtdwSdYZb7x1q5MxIb07lGd54IKAz9jnklKdo9EJYEGS qO8S-ttt4IPtmL09uFDAQEN9Md_PTctnieIfu_-YwFaK0w)

TerryS1980
08-21-2018, 10:51 AM
Unless you regularly abuse the bike or do track days then I don't think the valve adjustment is needed until the 13k maintenance.

EBRRider
08-21-2018, 05:38 PM
Unless you regularly abuse the bike or do track days then I don't think the valve adjustment is needed until the 13k maintenance.

I would like more opinions on this thought, I am at 5200.

Cooter
08-29-2018, 02:24 PM
I'm doing mine at 6k like the MFG says to. It's not a matter of running it 'hard'. Extended idling and stop-n-go traffic will hammer shims and wear parts, just like redline will.

Besides, it's great insurance to make sure everything all good to go up there.

White SX
08-30-2018, 12:22 PM
I'm doing mine at 6k like the MFG says to. It's not a matter of running it 'hard'. Extended idling and stop-n-go traffic will hammer shims and wear parts, just like redline will.

Besides, it's great insurance to make sure everything all good to go up there.

Have to agree with that 100%.
Usually the adjustment is needed due to valves settling and seating into the seats tightening up the clearance.

EBRRider
09-03-2018, 02:58 PM
It has been explained to me from Ross,
1125s had steel valves, which stretch much less, and lower redline, which is why it has valve service intervals every 12,500 miles (20k Km). The titanium valves and higher redline stretch much more than the steel valve 1125s, hence the lower 6200 mi (10k Km) valve service intervals. Based on what I've read here and others experiences over the EBR years, I'd have to say the EBR intervals are pretty spot on, I wouldn't dare waiting that long.