PDA

View Full Version : My 2014 1190rx Arrived Today

Brian S
06-30-2018, 03:21 AM
Yesterday I felt like a kid on Chrismas Eve. She's a real beauty.

A USB stick came with it but it's either blank or my devices can't read it. I'm guessing it's the owner's manual?

Anyone have an issue inserting a key for the tail section? For whatever reason my lock is cockeyed and can't get the key to go in.

EBRRider
06-30-2018, 08:25 AM
WELCOME , lets see some pics of your ride, How many miles on your bike ? by the marks below the key hole its been off plenty of times, When putting back on they didnt push back far enough and it rubbed the pin, But why its Red ? You cant get the key in at all? Ask the PO.

https://www.erikbuellracing.com/tech

Brian S
06-30-2018, 03:11 PM
The bike was built 5/14 and has only 10 miles on it. I bought it from Dunbar Euro-Sports.
Somehow the image was flipped 180 when I uploaded it so those marks were actually above the lock. They kinda look like someone tried to pry the lid open. My key goes in almost a half inch before it hits something. Won't turn at all and I'm trying not to break it.
https://cdn2.cycletrader.com/v1/media/5b28921e7445d25b52322250.jpg?width=1024&height=768&quality=70
https://cdn1.cycletrader.com/v1/media/5b28921e7445d25b52322253.jpg?width=1024&height=768&quality=70https://cdn1.cycletrader.com/v1/media/5b28921f7445d25b52322255.jpg?width=1024&height=768&quality=70

EBRRider
06-30-2018, 04:02 PM
ok , My key was the same way on my 15 SX , Your key is brand new, Just like when you have a new key made at the lock smith it hard to go in ,So what I did to my key was hit with a wire wheel just to take the corners off , that should take care of it.

Brian S
06-30-2018, 06:41 PM
I wire brushed it pretty well.....still no go. It works perfectly fine in the ignition but in the rear lock it's hitting something solid when only half way inserted. If the key doesn't go in all the way, it's not going to turn.
Thanks for the link to the owners manuals. You'd think I'd be able to find that on a Google search. At least I can figure out how to do simple things now like setting the traction control.

EBRRider
06-30-2018, 07:30 PM
Did they give you 2 keys ? If only 1 the other it maybe broke off in the tumblers.

Brian S
06-30-2018, 10:43 PM
Yeah, I came with 2 keys and both work fine in the ignition. I think something isn't lining up right with the slot being cockeyed. There's a lot of small scratches around the slot which makes me think someone else messed with it for a while with no success. Guess I'll worry about it later.

d_adams
07-01-2018, 05:02 AM
Spray some graphite lube into the seat lock, keep working at it and it will eventually go in correctly. Use a small pick to hold the slot/cover open, it will slide to the side a little and spray it in there. Even WD-40 would work. The scratches are from the metal tang/hook getting dragged across the plastic. Did it myself a few times on my first RX, I know better now so my 4th one is still nice and new looking.

buell-fan
07-01-2018, 01:18 PM
This is the problem. It is common, and needs to be addressed the first time that you get the key in there and open the rear seat area up. Otherwise it will keep the key locked in that cylinder and that sucks even worse!

http://ebrforum.com/showthread.php?1181-An-easy-fix-for-the-sticking-key-in-the-lock-for-seat-latch

Micky
07-02-2018, 02:58 AM
This is the problem. It is common, and needs to be addressed the first time that you get the key in there and open the rear seat area up. Otherwise it will keep the key locked in that cylinder and that sucks even worse!

http://ebrforum.com/showthread.php?1181-An-easy-fix-for-the-sticking-key-in-the-lock-for-seat-latch
Hey - I got a new 2014rx - the slot is red & cockeyed - the key stops at a 1/2 way point - I jiggle it 3 or 4 times on its line and it goes in further - the scratches happen when you reinstal the seat you'll find out

buell-fan
07-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Hey - I got a new 2014rx - the slot is red & cockeyed - the key stops at a 1/2 way point - I jiggle it 3 or 4 times on its line and it goes in further - the scratches happen when you reinstal the seat you'll find out
Eventually the bracket will remain bent and keep the key held in the lock, possibly keeping you stranded. Take the time to open this up and fix the bent bracket issue and you won't have to wiggle the key to get it go into the lock. , BTW my two EBR's don't have scratching on them from that seat post; lick and push.

EBRRider
07-03-2018, 09:53 PM
The scratching only occurs if you dont push back all the way when reinstalling the seat , So the scratches show your seat has been off a few times.

Brian S
07-04-2018, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. In the end, no amount of jiggling would let me insert the key. The only way it may have gone in is with been a BFH. Like I said....trying not to break anything.

What I ended up doing, was to remove the seat and take out 2 screws on the underside of the trim panel. It gave me enough room to fit my hand behind the panel and pull out the lock's retaining clip with my fingertips. Once the clip was out, I worked the cylinder out about 3/4" which pulled on the cable enough to retract the bolt catch and release the lid.

I took it apart and bent the cable bracket to 90 degrees as recommended by Buell-fan. Then ended up bending it back just a little so that the catch would extend inwards about an 1/8th inch. Now that I've taken the slack out of the cable, the cylinder is rotated a few more degrees counter clockwise. The key slides in and out and turns easily like a well oiled machine.

You wouldn't think a few degrees could make that much difference but try it some time. Turn the key just a little, try to pull it out, and you'll find it's stuck good. So I'm 95% sure the same lock internals that prevents the key from coming out are the same thing that prevented my key from going in. Luckily I already had a T27 Torx bit and didn't get stranded somewhere without a spare key. JIC I'll be sure to remove the key from the lock 1st before closing the lid.

I see how the scratches happened now because you have to fight against the strap somewhat to get the bolt over the trim panel. Luckily the marks on mine weren't too bad and I was able to get it looking new again with some black shoe scuff and light rubbing with fine steel wool.

ecobeast_raptor
07-07-2018, 09:28 PM
Hey! That looks like the exact same bike I put a down payment on to hold it over the weekend, same place and everything, ha! BTW I am brand new to the forum and can't wait to finalize my purchase next week and get it delivered. I'll have to check for this key hole issue when I get it.

EBRRider
07-07-2018, 10:46 PM
Hey! That looks like the exact same bike I put a down payment on to hold it over the weekend, same place and everything, ha! BTW I am brand new to the forum and can't wait to finalize my purchase next week and get it delivered. I'll have to check for this key hole issue when I get it.

Welcome to this sorry bunch , LOL

Cooter
07-12-2018, 02:08 PM
We are dumb here, but at least we're ugly too!
:301:

Brian S
07-13-2018, 06:57 PM
I spent 4.5 hours at the DMV today and the little turds refused to register the bike because there is nothing on the title specifically stating that it complies with CALIFORNIA emission standards. The only way they'll registrer it is if I have a statement from the manufacturer that proves it meets California emissions or I'm just SOL. I got a $10K rock I can't ride anywhere. Anyone know who I have to contact to get this?

EBRRider
07-13-2018, 07:14 PM
I spent 4.5 hours at the DMV today and the little turds refused to register the bike because there is nothing on the title specifically stating that it complies with CALIFORNIA emission standards. The only way they'll registrer it is if I have a statement from the manufacturer that proves it meets California emissions or I'm just SOL. I got a $10K rock I can't ride anywhere. Anyone know who I have to contact to get this?

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/833e92_694700dd4fd343678c81cf6f529191fb.pdf

look at page 26 , hope this helps go to another DMV that agent was being a ahole. I brought mine in from TX no issues I am in CA also

Cooter
07-13-2018, 09:36 PM
I'm also in Cali and got mine brand new from Texas. No issues at all. Try AAA?

Brian S
07-14-2018, 03:32 AM
Sorry, I wish the doc was more helpful. Page 26 was about identification, not emissions. But according to that info I may be SNAFU. My code # is "3", meaning it's a 49 state motorcycle.

For the guys who successfully registered in CA, what code # have you?

EBRRider
07-14-2018, 08:23 AM
Sorry, I wish the doc was more helpful. Page 26 was about identification, not emissions. But according to that info I may be SNAFU. My code # is "3", meaning it's a 49 state motorcycle.

For the guys who successfully registered in CA, what code # have you?

In the 10 th position mine is a 0.

White SX
07-14-2018, 09:06 AM
Thinking you have to have 7500 miles on it first to bring it into California as a used bike.

Brian S
07-14-2018, 10:46 AM
The manual says O is USA (All)

So it sounds like yours is 50 state legal and should have this dumb thing.

CALIFORNIA EVAPORATIVE EMISSION CONTROL
All new 2014 EBR motorcycles sold in the state of California are equipped with an evaporative emission control system. This system is designed to meet the CARB regulations in effect at the time of manufacture.

Thinking you have to have 7500 miles on it first to bring it into California as a used bike.

Yes, they mentioned that but it doesn't help me.

EBRRider
07-14-2018, 11:16 AM
The manual says O is USA (All)

So it sounds like yours is 50 state legal and should have this dumb thing.

CALIFORNIA EVAPORATIVE EMISSION CONTROL
All new 2014 EBR motorcycles sold in the state of California are equipped with an evaporative emission control system. This system is designed to meet the CARB regulations in effect at the time of manufacture.

Yes, they mentioned that but it doesn't help me.

Is it a used bike ? the 7500 miles is only for used bike.

Brian S
07-14-2018, 03:09 PM
Is it a used bike ? the 7500 miles is only for used bike.

No, it's new and has fewer than 10 miles on it. That's why it doesn't help me.

EBRRider
07-14-2018, 04:30 PM
Brain, Your bike is a 49 state motorcycle with a 3 meaning not legal in Ca, I know its after the fact but when I bought mine I asked if it was ok for CA.

White SX
07-14-2018, 05:55 PM
Used with more then 7500 miles on it is the only way to register it in California. Going to have to register it in another state, put 7500 miles on it and then register it in California.
Know anybody who lives in AZ or NV or OR whose address you can use?

Otherwise you’ve got a great garage conversation piece or sell it to get a California legal model.

Brian S
07-14-2018, 06:20 PM
Brain, Your bike is a 49 state motorcycle with a 3 meaning not legal in Ca, I know its after the fact but when I bought mine I asked if it was ok for CA.

I just finished saying that it's 49 state bike. So maybe they aren't being A Holes at the DMV and I know what hind site is but didn't know there was such a thing as a 49 state motorcycle until just a few hours ago. I've never purchased a new car or bike in my life.

This wasn't a private sale, it came from a dealership that's sold motorcycles for a long time. I don't know who's ultimately responsible but I'm trying to find a solution instead of focusing on blame right now. Maybe an EVAP and whatever else is required in CA can be retrofitted if parts are still available but I need to find someone involved in the building of these bikes to know for sure.

Forum members, please don't take anything personally. I had a long day yesterday and a sleepless night and I'm just incredibly frustrated by my dream slowly evolving into a nightmare.

Brian S
07-14-2018, 06:33 PM
Used with more then 7500 miles on it is the only way to register it in California. Going to have to register it in another state, put 7500 miles on it and then register it in California.
Know anybody who lives in AZ or NV or OR whose address you can use?

Otherwise you’ve got a great garage conversation piece or sell it to get a California legal model.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a cousin in TX but shipping a bike out and racking up that many mile would be a huge inconvenience for me. Much more than locating a CA legal bike but if I have to sell it, that's going to leave a bitter taste in my mouth and don't know if I'll have the stomach to look for another one. So far it's been one problem after another.

EBRRider
07-14-2018, 07:05 PM
Sorry you have learned the hard way , as I did a few years back with a similar buy with a 49 state Aprilia bike. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29/!ut/p/a1/nZFNT4NAEIZ_iweOZIZvOG60loK1JjUt7IUsC1swslC6JcZf71 ITPTXGzumdwzyZeQYoZEAlm9oDU20v2fvcU79IVw8LK15iuvSe CJI0jje7xc5eRg7sgQLlUg2qgbzqpoL3UtVSFbU0UPcGDufyZG A59rw5j7WOgp1UIRhXcxbTaEczY-BtBbnl1p7j2sJE7qHpurVrMs64GVWVYIHv8ICXkENOgyJaYWiF W0w32-cACUliK3FfMHq0YHsT8NqVnv9vYPKXtgxye1zfrw8ay1RjtlL0 kM2qIPtRBdmvKp2_VenJ9u14pERrn1V_KMhu9n75nt4UrxRBGL oudLxh-nwV3Z6EKlqRuy8mV9Hd/

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/bringing-an-out-of-state-bike-into-california.178511/ (https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29/!ut/p/a1/nZFNT4NAEIZ_iweOZIZvOG60loK1JjUt7IUsC1swslC6JcZf71 ITPTXGzumdwzyZeQYoZEAlm9oDU20v2fvcU79IVw8LK15iuvSe CJI0jje7xc5eRg7sgQLlUg2qgbzqpoL3UtVSFbU0UPcGDufyZG A59rw5j7WOgp1UIRhXcxbTaEczY-BtBbnl1p7j2sJE7qHpurVrMs64GVWVYIHv8ICXkENOgyJaYWiF W0w32-cACUliK3FfMHq0YHsT8NqVnv9vYPKXtgxye1zfrw8ay1RjtlL0 kM2qIPtRBdmvKp2_VenJ9u14pERrn1V_KMhu9n75nt4UrxRBGL oudLxh-nwV3Z6EKlqRuy8mV9Hd/)

White SX
07-14-2018, 07:09 PM
Chances are with that wrong number in the VIN it won’t matter if you put the evap system on. DMV is just following the rules set forth.
Just get a plate from out of state and ride the heck out of it to put on the 7500 miles. Been done before, you’re not the first to get bit by this.
Should be able to get the dealer who sold it to you to work something out. They’re the ones who screwed up shipping it to California.

EBRRider
07-14-2018, 07:16 PM
Chances are with that wrong number in the VIN it won’t matter if you put the evap system on. DMV is just following the rules set forth.
Just get a plate from out of state and ride the heck out of it to put on the 7500 miles. Been done before, you’re not the first to get bit by this.
Should be able to get the dealer who sold it to you to work something out. They’re the ones who screwed up shipping it to California.

I agree with you ,they know the laws, its there business. They need to be held accountable. They just wanted the sell $$$.

Brian S
07-14-2018, 07:50 PM
I really doubt they know anything about the VIN codes. CARB would probably know but not DMV. They're only asking for a letter of compliance from the manufacturer. If I can scrounge up the parts, (already found some] document the installation with a video and get it to someone working with EBR, maybe they could sign off on it for me.

stupid uploader flipped it 180 again but at least it can be read.

EBRRider
07-14-2018, 08:03 PM
Call EBR and talk to a Tec , Ask for Dan Hurda (https://www.facebook.com/dan.hurda?sk=wall&fref=gm&dti=289943317829883&hc_location=group)

Director of Engineering at EBR Motorcycles

https://www.erikbuellracing.com/

(https://www.erikbuellracing.com/)

Cooter
07-15-2018, 12:05 AM
I'll check my Vin# tomorrow, but I highly doubt it's a Cali bike.
Like I said, I might be worth a AAA membership to just register it there and avoid the DMV altogether.
You have the certificate of origin from EBR? or a title from LAP?

Edit:
My 10th digit is "E"?
and a phone call to EBR would be in order. I don't know if it's a whole evap system thing or most likely a ECM program change. They would certainly know the most.

d_adams
07-15-2018, 05:40 AM
Kim is still there fielding calls, she'd definitely know everything there is to know about the VIN and how it works.

Brian S
07-15-2018, 10:38 PM
It isn't the 10th digit actually. You have to look at the owner's manual to make sense of it. They have a screwy way of counting digits.
2014 EBR Owner's Manual page 25
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/833e92_b2d00b87174345cf8ec9ee556b45fb81.pdf#page25

They've been using EVAPs on cars since the early '70s. It's to prevent gas vapor in the gas tank from venting directly into the atmosphere. The description is on page 125.
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/833e92_b2d00b87174345cf8ec9ee556b45fb81.pdf#page12 5

There could be other CA differences as mentioned but that was the only thing I found specified in the manual. Even a ECM change is doable.
The certificate is from EBR. AAA has to abide to the same rules as the DMV. At this point if I try to go someplace else they're going to ding me on late fees. CA doesn't give you a lot of time to register.

Cooter
07-16-2018, 12:11 AM
Ok then, mines a "0" for USA (Cali). Thats why I had no issue. Lucky I guess.
I haven't seen an evaporation system (charcoal can) on the bike? Your link is inop. I'll have the whole thing apart soon (valve adjust) so I'll know for sure. But easily added if thats the case.

Yes, of course AAA has to abide by the same rules (they even use the same system) I was just curious because with such a low production bike if they are entering it manually and the AAA would be less strict to get you out of there (or not know the difference). I have shown up there with a wet piece of paper and 1/2 a license plate and walked out with a title and new tags.

Cali won't charge late fee's if they get the transfer fee's now even without titleing the bike. So pay them now. It shows earnest and will play well in your favor. If it all goes to Hell, you'll get your $$ back from the DMV.

1) Call EBR. I'd guess it's an ECM change and possibly a EVAP can and thats it. They'll know, and are really helpful.
2) You could transfer title to any 49-state you wish with simply an address. Even with a Cali drivers license. I do. Who cares if it's a Cali title?
3) The dealer that sold it to you has some responsibility here, have they responded to you?

Cooter
07-16-2018, 12:15 AM
This brings up my question (in another thread) of how the heck does a place like Orange County Choppers sell their crap (with carburated S&S motors) in Cali without CARB/EPA/DMV BS?

There ain't no EVAP can on those things....

Whats the difference between a 'manufacturer' of 1200-ish EBR's in 3 years, and OCC's (I assume) 'special construction' thing by the thousands?

fknroger
07-18-2018, 11:10 AM
Brian S.
I have a the same 49state bike, bought it new in 2014 from a dealer in Arizona, I live in So.California. (at the time EBR couldn't get the bike to pass smog for California) bike is still registered in Arizona. If you want, private message me and I'll explain possibly what I believe to be your best options. FYI, I just purchased a second 49 state bike that I will be doing the same thing with. It can get really expensive doing this. You will have to have a Nevada or Arizona address, you will have to have an Insurance broker that can write Insurance policies in that state. (this means separate insurance) You may also get hassled by Law enforcement in your area for riding an out of state bike in California, I say all these things because I have experienced them all.

You can register it in California once it has the 7500+ miles on it, but it is expensive, I just last month checked into transferring my EBR since it now has 7500 miles on it, they wanted another $1300.00 to register it in California. I decided to keep it in Arizona, and start transferring all my bikes to AZ.

If you get lucky maybe EBR can help you out with that letter and you'll be good.

Brian S
07-22-2018, 12:46 AM
This site is driving me nuts.I posted the correct link 3 times and every time it added a space between the 2 and 4. Try removing the space, then copy and paste. Or go the VIN info and scroll down to #124. Problem with the OM is that it doesn't have any pics, just the description.

I had a family crisis to deal with this week and had to put this problem on hold.

Dunbar ES closes early on Saturdays and aren't open Sun or Mon. They're a family business and seem like good guys. I really doubt they'd sell a motorcycle if they thought registration would be a problem. I did call DES today and explained the situation but didn't give them much time to do respond. They're going to talk with their tech guys and to EBR to find out what they can.

I found a Carbon Canister, hoses, brackets etc on EBR.net but no pics of anything there either.
http://www.erikbuellracing.net/store/p0501-1b6-carbon-canister.html

I did find a few images of these parts on the net but started to think these are not the correct parts for my application. They're for a 1190RS or some earlier Buell.

Some schematics I found for the 2014RX showed hoses from the purge valve and the roll over vent going under the air box tub but didn't show the carbon canister. Finally I stumbled across an image showing the canister as integrated into the tub.
http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/713493/724494.jpg
I took my air box cover off and it looks identical underneath except obviously for the color of the boxed area highlighted blue.

I got the title a month ago and tried to pay the fees then. Waited in line for 2.5 hours only for them to inform me they can't start anything before the bike arrives.

So I brought the bike "Friday the 13th" for them to inspect it. They looked for a sticker or something that stated it met CA emission standards but neither of us could find it anywhere. I tried to pay for the sales tax and transfer fees but they wouldn't accept it. They said without proof of emission compliance it was a non starter. I asked about late fees and if anyone read what they wrote on the upside down image I posted, it says they'll wave the penalties. I also asked if I had to bring the bike back again. They said no, the inspection part is done. All they need to finish is a statement from the manufacturer.

Cooter
07-22-2018, 10:51 AM
The 1190RS is a race bike and a completely different animal.

Instead of guessing what you need, you could call EBR and ask, they'll know. That would also cut out the middlemen and the confusion it causes (ever play 'telephone'?). It would be faster too, because you wouldn't have to wait for them to call them, them to call them back, and then for them to call you.

Brian S
07-22-2018, 03:02 PM
Going directly to EBR was my plan initially but like members are saying, Dunham ES shouldn't have sold the bike in the first place. So I'm going to have them do a little leg work for me by gathering some info. I can talk to EBR afterwards.

They've sold at least 5 EBRs that I'm aware this year so they really need to know the facts so this doesn't happen to someone else. There's a guy in this thread who mentioned buying the other black RX they had for sale but I think he's in Missouri so it shouldn't cause him any problems.

I know the RS is a race bike, that's why I was surprised when I saw a remote carbon can shown in this schematic.
https://www.af1racing.com/store/ProdImages/st3/1190RS2012.pdf#page24

Also dug up an older thread concerning 49 state motorcycles.
http://ebrforum.com/archive/index.php/t-1239.html
There's a chance some bikes were actually compliant with CA emission standards but were simply too early to be "certified".
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/hmc/2015/erikbuell_m1940004_1191_0d8_hn.pdf

This is one 1190 RX schematic I found. My bike has the integrated co can and all the hoses shown in the diagram.
https://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/images/organizations/05211b9c-b6c7-4840-8e84-2970c2318c24/ebr_rx_sx_parts_ari.pdf#page13

EBRRider
07-22-2018, 03:14 PM
Have you taken the air box cover off yet ? To see if it has a CC ? which I am sure it does, The question I would be asking EBR is what is the difference in a 49 state bike and a 50 state ? besides the Vin #. If all you need is a letter from MFG stating it conforms to get it registered, Call Kim at EBR see if that is possible. 262 642 1627
120(262) 642-1627 (tel:1-262-6421627) Info@ebr.com (Info@ebr.com)

Brian S
07-22-2018, 04:27 PM
Yes, that's how I know the hoses and can are there. There's a rollover vent hose going to the can. A hose from the can to the purge valve and a hose from the purge valve to the intake manifold. It's all sealed...the vapors can't go anywhere .
http://ebrforum.com/webkit-fake-url://c775a823-9b14-4e07-9b91-86c048e3ee83/imagejpeg

Cooter
07-22-2018, 07:16 PM
Even though the RS was a race bike, they did sell them to the public and a charcoal canister doesn't cost any HP. I'm just answering what I perceived to be a question from you: "but started to think these are not the correct parts for my application. They're for a 1190RS or some earlier Buell."

And just trying to help you expedite the process by calling EBR directly. If you want to wait for someone else to call EBR for you and ask the same questions, that's your business. I'd just like to see you less frustrated and riding this amazing machine.

Good luck man.

Brian S
07-22-2018, 10:01 PM
No, there wasn't a question. I was admitting to going in wrong direction after discovering the carbon cans were built into the air box, not a remote type underneath. I said I had what was in the image I posted.

I really didn't give Dunbar much time at all. Jon is the guy's name and he's the one who sold me the RX. I sounded like his jaw hit the floor when I told him DMV refused to the let me register the bike. I know the feeling.

I spoke with him around 11am, which was 2pm on the east coast and they close at 4pm Saturday.

EBR doesn't have business hours posted on their site. At least none I could find but I figured the earliest I could talk to anyone was Monday. Dunbar opens Tuesday so what's another 24 hours? I don't want to ask someone for help and then go around them when they've fewer than 2 business hours to look into anything.

Like I said before, just wanting to keep everything friendly for now, ya know what I mean? And thanks....I need all the luck I can get.

EBRRider
07-25-2018, 05:30 PM
Brian ,

look for this on the inside your rear tail on the left side.

Brian S
07-26-2018, 05:01 PM
Is this under the tail lid or behind the body panel? I see what may a sticker on the right side but there's no way to read it unless I remove the outer fiberglass. I'm not sure how those plastic pins (look something like push retainer pins?) come out.

BTW, EBR tech said the bike has all the emission controls required by CA, but wasn't "CARB certified" like I mentioned.

EBRRider
07-26-2018, 05:31 PM
Yes, under the tail on the left side, You should have seen it when you were working on your latch,. So what is your plan ?

Brian S
07-26-2018, 06:10 PM
OK, got it apart. I didn't remove the fiberglass panel when I fixed the latch. This is the first time it's been off. Yep, same sticker as yours except it's on the right side. What a stupid location for a sticker. Unfortunately that's only for federal compliance. Nothing on there about Cali Air Resourse Board.

I'm working through Dunham and they are relaying all email communications in the last couple days. EBR says they can't get it CARB certified but that might not be necessary if they can write a convincing letter stating it's compliant with all CA standards. DMV probably didn't have to do this for me but I think they're trying to be reasonable about it.

EBRRider
07-26-2018, 06:43 PM
OK, got it apart. I didn't remove the fiberglass panel when I fixed the latch. This is the first time it's been off. Yep, same sticker as yours except it's on the right side. What a stupid location for a sticker. Unfortunately that's only for federal compliance. Nothing on there about Cali Air Resourse Board.

I'm working through Dunham and they are relaying all email communications in the last couple days. EBR says they can't get it CARB certified but that might not be necessary if they can write a convincing letter stating it's compliant with all CA standards. DMV probably didn't have to do this for me but I think they're trying to be reasonable about it.

Sounds optimistic !!! keep us posted.

buell-fan
07-28-2018, 10:10 AM
...maybe it is as simple as just purchasing the black and white stickers from EBR and have it inspected by the a different DMV. And doesn't your state have smog testing facilities you can get a smog test done and certificate of some sort from them for the dmv? There is always eBay too. Buy a used rear tail section that has the sticker.

Brian S
07-28-2018, 01:08 PM
Motorcycles don't get tested in CA....at least not yet. Dunham has 2 (0 code) SX bikes in stock. They weren't able to find any CA emission label. I have the same sticker as EBRRider on my tail section but it's not the one I need. It has to say USA and California like this one.
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=210854&d=1357317128

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=210854&d=1357317128

EBRRider
07-30-2018, 06:00 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-15-EBR-BUELL-1190-SX-1190SX-OEM-SUBFRAME-SUB-FRAME-TAIL-TRAY-L1090-1B7YCX/132705904559?fits=Make%3AEBR&hash=item1ee5e367af%3Ag%3A3YYAAOSw9CVbTN3H&_sop=10&_pgn=2&_nkw=ebr+1190&_from=R40&rt=nc

Cooter
07-30-2018, 06:11 PM
I always wanted to put one of those on an XB:)