PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Issues

MrSix
06-29-2018, 09:17 AM
Problems:

Fuel light has been on nearly since I bought the bike. (4500 ish miles on the fuel trip.) I don’t think it’s a big deal, I mention it to give you complete information.

O2 Heater Error comes on occasionally

Communications error comes on the display intermittently

Battery Warning on the display intermittently

Battery Error on the display intermittently

Battery died after the bike sat for two days (3 volts)

I noticed that charge at the battery (with a voltmeter) is different than the “Battery Voltage” displayed in the Live Data screen (15 V on the display 14 V with a meter)

With the bike running and my voltmeter attached to the battery, the voltage reads 14.1 to 14.3. Again… the Live Data screen will read 15.1-15.3

Charcoal Can or Fuel pump “whirs” a lot. Like over night once a minute or some such.

Radiator Fans stay on for a long time after the bike is turned of… sometimes up to 15 minutes.

HIGH idle at start for several minutes (4000 RPM)

Bike is lurchy at low idle, hard to control

Bike dies frequently, 8 times yesterday in traffic, 100 degree day, bike had been sitting in direct sunlight for 8 hours.

Checks:

I checked all grounds, front frame, rear frame, starter solenoid, and front cylinder. Fine

I pulled the air box and checked for mis routed, melted wires leading to the 02 sensors. Fine

I checked for draw. Negligible amount, less that 1A

Stator checks out no shorts to ground and continuity between all yellow wires.

Actions:

I pulled the fuel pump and replaced the sensor, turns out the float had come off.

Replaced Reg/Rec (no change sent it back)

Replaced battery

Purchased a Shorai Charger

Notes:
This morning I ran the bike until th idle dropped from 4000 to 1800 The fuel pressure was at 480 the The Battery voltage running was at 15.3. The idle came down after 2 or 3 minutes, then the bike died. I tried restarting it 2 or 3 times and it continued to die.

With the bike off, I unplugged the fuel pump from the harness, the Battery Voltage dropped to 13.1 (what the battery voltage reads with a voltmeter at the battery terminals) I plugged it back in and up to 14.1. I am 80% sure it’s the fuel pump. I'm not sure how I can tell for sure, so If anyone has any handy fuel pump tests send 'em my way.
Thanks.

Cooter
06-29-2018, 11:42 AM
1) You fixed the float, did that solve it?
2) Replace the O2 unless the dash solves it
3) Replace the dash, no known fix I'm aware of.
4-5-6-7 Li-ion batteries are not the same as acid ones. They need a much higher charge rate and standing voltage.
Read this: Shorai FAQ #1
https://shoraipower.com/faq
and this: Shorai Battery charging:
https://shoraipower.com/charging
8) Replace Dash
9) Fuel pump. Normal for about 15 minutes (which seems like forever), but not overnight. If it's really is doing it overnight and the new dash doesn't fix it, call EBR.
10) They are temp controlled, not timed. Use a stop watch next time and when they stop, start the bike and check temp after the water circulates (1 minute).
11) TPS re-set
12) ? How do you ride it at idle? 5500rpm is the lowest I'll cruise at, It's not a Harley.
13) TPS re-set

I think a 1 amp draw is a lot. >500mA would be ok.
Is the clutch switch working? It will affect idle.

MrSix
07-10-2018, 11:11 AM
I believe I have my issues sorted, you can read the complete story over here (https://motorcyclelog.wordpress.com/2018/07/10/temple-of-the-wrench-electrical-ghosts/)