PDA

View Full Version : 2016 SX TPS Reset and frequent high idle

MrSix
05-30-2018, 09:36 AM
Howdy!
I know it seems like I only stop by when I need something. I've been having a blast on my EBR 1190SX, I took it to Southern Missouri a few weekends ago, I'll be taking on a short camping trip in western Kansas later this week, and I've been riding the ever loving **** out of it around town, blasting through valley and over hill, taking her low and fast in any corner I can find. Basically I'm making a ton of memories on this bike, the more I ride it, the more I want to ride it.

I'm having an issue with the TPS... It seems I'm having to reset it once a day here lately. I know when it's off because the idlle surges to 3000 and stays there. I check the TPS and it's sitting at 4 or 5% I let the bike warm up, then shut it off, do the TPS reset, check the TPS value in the Diagnostic screen, make sure it's at 2% and then fire it up and all seems well, until the next morning, when I have to do it again. Is my TPS going south? Does anyone have ideas as to what would cause this behavior?

Also... My EBR seems to really hate humidity, it seems way less smooth on 70%+ humidity days, or in rain. Anyone else experience this?

MakingPAIN
05-30-2018, 10:17 AM
Sorry for stupid question. I know how to do the TPS on my xb bikes, but how do we do it to the EBR?

MrSix
05-30-2018, 10:44 AM
Sorry for stupid question. I know how to do the TPS on my xb bikes, but how do we do it to the EBR?

1. Key On Engine Off Kill Switch On
2. Hold the throttle wide open with a gentle amount of force for 1 second.
3. Hold the throttle closed with a gentle amount of force for 1 second.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 two more times for a total of three times.
5. Turn the key off, wait two seconds, and turn it back on.

MakingPAIN
05-30-2018, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the info.

Cooter
05-30-2018, 12:26 PM
I'd look into the IAC. I can't imagine why the ECM is changing that correction value.

LeesEBR
05-30-2018, 12:56 PM
Are you sure it's not your throttle cable binding? Left turn to lock will tighten the cable, make sure your adjustment isn't too tight.

MrSix
05-31-2018, 08:58 AM
It's not the cable binding, I have decent play in the throttle, not too much, I like it a little tight. I checked the IAC "steps" and it settled down to 40 steps on a hot start. the throttle sits at 3% when running and 2% when off. I didn't notice that difference at first.
I did get an error code last night, the O2 Heater code. after some searching here, it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal. Also I got an exclamation point instead of a check engine light and a message that said something about the battery where I'd normally see my fuel mileage. I then checked the battery voltage with the bike running, it was at 15 VDC seems that would be half a volt high in my experience with my other bikes. Maybe the reg-rec is taking a dump? Maybe 15 VDC is normal?
She rides good all seems well. I cleared the codes and I'll just wait for more data.

Oh.. yeah the new motor has about 5000 miles on it so far. :)

buell-fan
05-31-2018, 10:28 PM
I found, by accident, that a prolonged key-on situation with the bike not running will make the O2 heater code come on. Was your key on for an extended period of time when the code appeared?

Cooter
06-01-2018, 12:37 AM
15 volts is good. Your EBR has a Shorai Lithium-Ion battery that needs a higher charge voltage and a higher resting voltage to stay healthy.
https://shoraipower.com/charging

MrSix
06-01-2018, 08:42 AM
15 volts is good. Your EBR has a Shorai Lithium-Ion battery that needs a higher charge voltage and a higher resting voltage to stay healthy.
https://shoraipower.com/charging

Thanks, Cooter that looks legit... and it makes sense however my buddys 2017 charges at no more than 14.5 So... :-/

MrSix
06-01-2018, 09:11 AM
So I found this:
https://shoraipower.com/products?action=vehicle&type=175&make=381998&model=381999&year=381999
Shorai Batteries require a charging system output of 13.1 Volts or higher at idle, and must not exceed 15.2 volts at maximum output.
I've seen 15.3 VDC and I bet that's what the "Battery Error" I received is. I bet my reg rec is gonna take a dump... or.. it's heat related.. I commute and where I park there is no shade. It's been in the 90s... Kansas sun... beating down on the seat... reg rec is under the panel with the key lock for the rear seat. I bet it gets hot AF under there.

MrSix
02-23-2023, 12:29 PM
So This issue persisted into the summer of 2018. I think I sorted it in late May or June. It got worse and worse. The bike was barely rideable the idle was all over the place fueling was way off. It's was a mess.
All the values on the diagnostics dash where high, The Battery Voltage would read 15.3 on the dash and when I put a multimeter to the battery it would read 14.3 . I checked everything from parasitic draw to bad grounds and finally I replaced the fuel pump. New pump in, and she's solid. And she's been solid until very recently. (~22,000 miles)

Leading up to this, I replaced the voltage regulator, made no change, got a new shorai battery (they were still available in 2018) and then finally the fuel pump, which made the bike happy again.

I was talking to Tech@EBR.com the other day (Dan) and he mentioned that some of the fuel pumps had globs of solder around the pins where the wires connect at the base of the pump housing. So if anyone is having electrical oddities it can be related to poor wiring in around the fuel pump.

LeesEBR
03-22-2023, 11:12 AM
Thank you for following up on this!