PDA

View Full Version : 2016 SX Randomly Dies

MrSix
04-09-2018, 08:59 AM
2016 SX motor #2 450 miles with IDS Tips ECU

Given my experiences (http://ebrforum.com/showthread.php?1631-Rip-1190sx) maybe I'm just paranoid. Something I've noticed with both motors is that they die intermittently when warmed up. Like if I've been riding around town for an hour, and I come to a stop, sometimes it just dies. With motor number one it did this three or four times the day before the rod failure. Is this "normal" ? With engine #1 I just assumed this how it ran, until it blew up.

Also I notice that that at just off idle 2500 RPMs sometimes it's like the motor will "catch" I pull the clutch in and give it a bit of throttle and it comes back.. Anyone else experienced this? It might be just me, I'm looking for problems. :-/

gdisaac07
04-09-2018, 09:21 AM
Do you have a different tooth sprocket? Does your ECM account for the different tooth? Something that may be happening is that the ECM is calculating that you're in a different gear than you are (say 2nd instead of 1st) and as a result it's dying when you go to take off.

Otherwise, have you checked your clutch master/slave/lever? Is it fully engaging/disengaging?

Is a fuel line pinched?

Are your grounds well-seated?

MrSix
04-09-2018, 09:42 AM
Do you have a different tooth sprocket? Does your ECM account for the different tooth? Something that may be happening is that the ECM is calculating that you're in a different gear than you are (say 2nd instead of 1st) and as a result it's dying when you go to take off.

Otherwise, have you checked your clutch master/slave/lever? Is it fully engaging/disengaging?

Is a fuel line pinched?

Are your grounds well-seated?

Stock gearing.
99% sure the fuel lines are fine
100% sure the ground is secured properly.
When I put her back together I went slllllllooooooowly
Clutch seems fine? I filled it, bled it, bottom then top, good and firm. not tight, but proper and firm.
It might also be that I was wearing gloves with freezout liners today. They always make me feel like I have cartoon balloon hands.

d_adams
04-09-2018, 11:23 AM
I'm going to throw this out there. I know IDS did a good job of tuning on it, but for your peace of mind, consider throwing a wideband display on it. I've done it on quite a few bikes, 2 EBRs, 1 1125, a few XB's and none of them ran quite perfectly until they were tuned correctly.
The **only** way you'll know for 100% certainty that it's being fueled correctly is with widebands (or a 4 or 5 gas analyzer) and the easiest way to do it is with widebands.

The cheapest one I've run across that works well enough to rely on is an Innovate DLG-1, I've bought them for about $315. No, they don't make the claim of it being waterproof, but I've ridden all of my bikes in the rain, none have suffered failures due to water thus far. I've also gone the expensive route with a custom display and they work the same. My SX has a better looking display than the XB, but that's all.

Cooter
04-09-2018, 12:17 PM
I have had the happen a couple times in 6000 miles. Never with the stock ECM the first 2k miles, 2-3 times with the IDS 'tips' ecm for 2k miles, and the first time yesterday with the IDs 'APH' ecm.

I didn't think much of it. I just consider the low idle, high compression aggressive cam, combo and didn't worry about it.

Is it idling at the right RPM? Also... The RPM should go up slightly in gear when you start to release the clutch.

EBRRider
04-09-2018, 12:44 PM
I have had it happen to me a few times at 4K miles at a red light, Deans tune ,grabby Barnett clutch, stiff race springs, short levers, I think I was not pulling the clutch in all the way, and the I did a TPS reset. not happening any more.

Might have been with them Dam big warm Gloves, and not disengaging the clutch like me.

MrSix
04-09-2018, 12:49 PM
d_adams, I'll consider the Wideband sensor. If for nothing else, it would be fun to know and yeah it would definitely put my mind at ease seeing the live data. I don't relish the work involved, TBH <whine>
Cooter, yeah the RPMs go up slightly as the clutch gets let out.

EBRRider, yeah I have not done a TPS reset since the rebuild. the data showed that it was at 2% throttle closed, I figured it was on target. A reset couldn't hurt.

This is probably just me. I have trust issues now, I'll just have to 'ride it out' :-)

konarider94
04-09-2018, 02:14 PM
Mine was doing this with the sock ecm, I was also getting an O2 sensor code. Ever since the new IDS ecm I haven't been getting the random engine cut outs.

This doesn't really help but I have definitely experienced this without any kind of rider error as well.

d_adams
04-09-2018, 08:04 PM
Aside from pulling the lower airbox, it's not really that much work. Couple of hours for sure, most of it dealing with where you want the wiring, but it's pretty cut and dried. Plug in the narrow band outputs to the ECM, add additional wires for widebands if you intend to do some logging (pins 1 and 33 if you wanted to know, front/rear respectively) with a programmable ecm and go. Otherwise, don't worry about the extra pins on the ECM.

I've got this on 2 of 3 bikes right now, 3rd one is still up in the air as to whether I add widebands or not since it's a pre-programmed ecm matched for the exhaust anyway.

MrSix
04-10-2018, 09:58 AM
Aside from pulling the lower airbox, it's not really that much work. Couple of hours for sure, most of it dealing with where you want the wiring, but it's pretty cut and dried. Plug in the narrow band outputs to the ECM, add additional wires for widebands if you intend to do some logging (pins 1 and 33 if you wanted to know, front/rear respectively) with a programmable ecm and go. Otherwise, don't worry about the extra pins on the ECM.

I've got this on 2 of 3 bikes right now, 3rd one is still up in the air as to whether I add widebands or not since it's a pre-programmed ecm matched for the exhaust anyway.

I didn't look closely at the install. I just saw the pictures of 02 sensor bungholes and figured I'd have to take the frame off to install sensors for the wideband. lol as you can tell, I have NO experience with wideband. hahaha

Side note, I lost the glove liners and haven't had the off idle issue... We're coming up on a few nice days, and the bike is 120 miles from the "first" service so we'll see if the the stall at idle persists.

Kid Thunder
04-10-2018, 02:10 PM
Mine does once in a great while in 7,000 miles. Not very often though/

MakingPAIN
04-10-2018, 02:25 PM
Mine does too, once and a while. Deans round can and tune.

muleman
04-10-2018, 10:54 PM
Mine also, stock and with Ids, Dean combo.