PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary driving lights

Tonz RX
11-12-2017, 01:22 AM
Anyone have them? Is there enough power to run them? Any pics would be great

EBRRider
11-12-2017, 11:23 AM
Just a question about lights, has anybody rewired to allow low and high beams on at the same time??? I can kind of hold the switch in the middle and have both on but not very good.

TerryS1980
11-12-2017, 11:45 AM
You can add driving lights but need to watch the wattage. I would say you can ran a pair of 15-20 watt, not 35-50's.

EBR said it numerous times that you shouldn't run high and low at the same time. The heat sink can not support both lights being on and would burn up..

EBRRider
11-12-2017, 12:39 PM
thx Terry

Tonz RX
11-12-2017, 04:47 PM
I’ll keep you posted. Got some piaa led driving lights

Subarubrat
11-12-2017, 09:24 PM
So, heated gear is a no-go? I have always worried about the capacity.

phelan
11-13-2017, 03:15 AM
If you pull apart the left switch housing, you can grind a little detent in the middle of the switch cam and that will give you and middle button position to run both on at the same time.

Cooter
11-13-2017, 12:51 PM
The headlight module has 2 heatsinks for the LED headlights. I assumed that one was for each bulb so running both would be ok.

But if Terry is right..."EBR said it numerous times that you shouldn't run high and low at the same time. The heat sink can not support both lights being on and would burn up.."

EBRRider
11-13-2017, 03:24 PM
I dont want to risk,frying the the heat sink ,????????????????????????????? I will use low or high but not both until its been proven safe.

Cooter
11-13-2017, 11:32 PM
With the very minimal extra wattage available, and the whole headlight housing being a 'replacement only' deal, I don't think I'd risk it either. YMMV.

TerryS1980
11-14-2017, 10:24 AM
Dan Hurda is/was EBR Engineer..

phelan
11-14-2017, 10:40 AM
I only use both while riding in very dark roads to avoid deer. But that's a rare occasion. And I still have 2 or 3 spare EBR headlights, so not as much a worry to me I suppose.

mbfj40
11-14-2017, 11:47 AM
On my '14 SX, I can see that when both lights were on at once via the Hi-beam flash button, that although both lamps are lit, I could see that the individual emmiters were dimmed slightly and didn't really light things up any better, just pull in your flash to pass on a dark country road and see . I too went with the "individual heat sink theory" and was not initially concerned about an overheating issue so I moved forward with keeping the low beam on during hi beam. Even though LEDs don't pull much power, I guessed that perhaps the OEM wiring harness was sized at an absolute minimum causing the lights to dim when both were on. To test that, I ran 14 gauge jumpers from a fully charged (and on a charger at 14.6v) battery directly to the headlight Hi and Low beam connectors. I found that still, when both lights were on, they both dimmed and I saw no difference than just pulling in the Flash to Pass. My "guess", without a disassembly of the lights themselves to confirm, is that there is some shared circuitry and/or common circuit board Trace etc, for both lights that is bottle-necking full power to both at once. I've shelved the project until I can find a crashed light to dissect.

mike

CMMagnussen
11-14-2017, 12:47 PM
Rigid ignites fit nicely on the second screws up on the radiator covers. I have my switch hooked to the base of the left mirror stalk.

Mike
11-14-2017, 08:24 PM
While it's still not really what I really want, I adjusted the low beams, basically too high and the high beams lower, about half way between, it's better than adjusted by the book.

Since the low beam has a MUCH broader spread, and it "seems" that the actual brightness between the two are at least similar, with the wider/broader light spread of the low beam, the low beam adjusted a bit higher, lights up MUCH more road than if adjusted per the book.

I wish I could install lights like I have on my XB12 (HID's), those are...nice.

Mike