PDA

View Full Version : On the Fence .. dont own an EBR yet

jstoll
10-18-2017, 08:20 PM
Hey folks... Ive really loved EBs work for a long time...never owned a buell or an EBR though.. I built an 05 Sportster from the ground up... with allot of mods its about 105 at the rear wheel... not much compared to a stock ebr :-) I do love my bike but I feel like Id like something with more power, handling and braking ...my main concern with picking up an EBR is parts... the EBR engine does not look like a Rotax 1190 or 1290... the cases and heads look different... so.. where to get a water pump or pistons and rings? bearings? Im an ASE Master Tech... Ive been in the trade 35 years... working on the bike is not a problem... I guess the other thing is the longevity of the bike... Im curious if anyone has many miles on one... and what kind of stuff comes up? the bike is on par with some of the best bikes around and is allot less expensive right now.... I think Id go with an SX
any input anyone has would be greatly appreciated

take care
JAK

Cooter
10-18-2017, 09:28 PM
Do an easy search on here, Badweb, BuellXB, Facebook, or Google. This question has been asked many, many, times. Check the stickies for typical problems for the early bikes.

Your concerns are understandable but unwarranted. Theres guys with 30K+ miles already
(http://ebrforum.com/showthread.php?1512-Nuther-little-milestone).
Plenty of parts available at the dealers, plenty available on E-bay, plenty available from LAP, and plenty available from private party.

The main point is with complete and utter powertrain destruction, or god forbid you send it off a cliff, just get the insurance check and have eBay ship you another one, then post the parts that are left for sale on here.

Cooter
10-18-2017, 09:56 PM
Heres my copy/paste for answer to the same question (about Buells) 2 days ago:

"We get these threads all the time, I think it's a silly thought to have about a fun toy. No one should buy any motorcycle as an investment.

First. You won't own this new-to-you Buell in 20 years. Right now, you think you will. But you won't. You're the anomaly if you own one bike for that long. I'm sure someone will pipe up and say they did, but it's rare. Did you own anything for that long? Were parts an issue? It's almost 8 years since the last Buell left the factory and you can still find tons for sale for cheap! with 4000 miles or less.

Second. There were plenty made... so used parts. Not Honda plenty... but plenty.

Third. None of the consumables are Buell proprietary parts. Oil? Air filter? Tires? Bearings? Put 90K miles on it and relax.

Fourth. The list of Buell proprietary parts is actually very small. Frame, swing arm, wheels, plastics, things like that. "Electronics"?? Not on a Buell [The EBR ECM and dash can be sourced outside the mfg easily]. They are universal switches, relays, wires and the rudimentary ECM that has proven to be solid state dependable.

Fifth. Think worst case scenario, whatever you like... off a cliff, engine seized up, whatever. Your insurance will pay, or not. Buy another one and sell off the old parts.

No matter what, you have to remember that its a motorcycle. It's not a family car, not an 'investment', and it's not the Mona Lisa. It's a passionate decision for a fun toy. Buy it! Use it! and let the smiles you have in your helmet decide if you made the right choice."

Check the stickies for the minor possible problems with the early production bikes and get some spares if that makes you feel better. As a "ASE Master Tech" you should know that parts come from many more places than just the dealer. Plenty available on E-bay, plenty available from LAP, and plenty available from private party. As a tech, you should also be able to make your EBR last with proper maintenance and less abuse. Riding hard is not abuse. Letting it sit and rot in the garage is...:)

I ride the piss out of my SX whenever I can. I maintain, modify, and repair it by myself only. For me, it will always be better than the Gixxer, 'Busa, or whatever the cookie cutters are doing this week. It's a toy, play with it:bannana:

rb21
10-19-2017, 08:01 AM
The way I see it - there are currently more parts around right now than there will ever be - get it now and enjoy it until the parts are gone and then move on. I don't think that you could find a better bike for the money.

LeesEBR
10-19-2017, 11:10 AM
They stopped producing motorcycles, they still have parts for repairs, the company is not closed.

EBRRider
10-19-2017, 11:27 AM
I just sent in my Dash & stock ECM to be updated , they did it in one day . Fast !

jstoll
10-19-2017, 07:02 PM
thank you very much for taking the time to answer a frequently asked question.... IM considering a white SX with 10K miles.. had its first valve adjustment allready... I think I can get it for a good price but need to think on it a bit more... I love V twins and EB is such an innovator... Id love to have one of his masterpieces ... I like the rare aspect and have watched many videos with folks complimenting the handling and power of these bikes.... Im very impressed .... I built my Sportster from the ground up.. Im running an 08+XB crank in it... its fast for what it is and I love it....
anyway... have a great week

thanks again
JAK

Cooter
10-19-2017, 09:45 PM
Totally seriously JAK, I've had my share of Sportys, early, late, hopped up, and stock... The SX will blow you away.

We're talking almost half the weight with about double the power. Take it to a Sportster unheard of 8500RPM and go WFO to redline in any gear. If you aren't simultaneously laughing and crapping yourself... I'll buy the first beer.:cheers:

You have great taste in colors too:smoke:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4503/37485817770_43e7e88efa_b.jpg

EBRRider
10-19-2017, 10:11 PM
Dam ,Cooter you have a great way of expressing your self , I love it !!!!!!!!!!!!:badass::badass::badass::badass:

LeesEBR
10-20-2017, 12:45 AM
I'm still not used to merging onto a freeway and feeling the front end lift in 2nd, 3rd and a good jolt into 4th. It's just that scary tunnel-vision you get from acceleration harder than you're used to.

If you want rare, get a yellow 2017 SX, only 10 were produced. ;)

https://i.imgur.com/1NCs3U9l.jpg

This (https://www.bennett-powersports.com/product-page/2017-ebr-1190-sx-yellow) is where I got mine.

MCase
10-20-2017, 07:04 AM
I just sent in my Dash & stock ECM to be updated , they did it in one day . Fast !

What was the process on this? What is your software/firmware numbers so I can check if mine is updated? And one final question...will it affect the aftermarket tuner?

EBRRider
10-20-2017, 09:29 AM
What was the process on this? What is your software/firmware numbers so I can check if mine is updated? And one final question...will it affect the aftermarket tuner?

If your bike is a 14,15 ,they will up date it to a 20016 firmware. Mine is a 15,

https://www.erikbuellracing.com/tech
If you have technical questions you can always send them to tech@ebr.com

Cooter
10-20-2017, 06:09 PM
The dash update is for features like easier to see turn signal indicators...

The ECM update is a software patch, neither updates the stock tuning (to my knowledge).

It won't affect your aftermarket tuner, but I would never put one of those on the EBR anyway. Especially with the narrow sweet spot and limited closed loop adjustability. You've been warned.

If you feel you need better tuning, or if you change your exhaust (including just removing the resonator) the only source to get that is EBR or IDS. Imo.

MCase
10-22-2017, 10:13 AM
The dash update is for features like easier to see turn signal indicators...

The ECM update is a software patch, neither updates the stock tuning (to my knowledge).

It won't affect your aftermarket tuner, but I would never put one of those on the EBR anyway. Especially with the narrow sweet spot and limited closed loop adjustability. You've been warned.

If you feel you need better tuning, or if you change your exhaust (including just removing the resonator) the only source to get that is EBR or IDS. Imo.

It took a while to determine the system the previous owner set up on my bike. Looks like it is running a 44t/Dean Adams exhaust with a programmed ECM to match. I do have the stock exhaust however the stock ECM is nowhere to be found. Bike runs amazingly well though.

EBRRider
10-22-2017, 11:15 AM
Dean has the best tune ,IMO , Thats what I am using. Hang on power.