PDA

View Full Version : Nuther little milestone

Mike
08-31-2017, 08:36 PM
Rather than talking about swapping this or changing that -

Should have been about three+ months ago, but because I've been mostly out of state working for the last 5 months, driving my RX has been VERY limited.
But...I finally passed the 30 thousand mile mark.

As of this evening, it's 30,210.

Mike

1190SX
08-31-2017, 08:55 PM
:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:
Respect

buell-fan
08-31-2017, 09:44 PM
Very nice! Congrats.

Cooter
08-31-2017, 10:51 PM
Wow! Where in So Cal are you? I ride my SX up in Mulholland, Hwy 2, and north almost every weekend,

depechevelle
09-01-2017, 08:56 AM
And I was pretty stoked to break 1,200 - no real problems yet! But I've only been riding it a couple months.

MakingPAIN
09-01-2017, 09:48 AM
Ohhh do I see another mileage thread?? Haha thats great news 30k is the most miles i have seen on these Bikes. How many valve adjustments? We're the shims way out of spec?

I just passed 2600 miles this morning. Running strong..:ar15:

Kid Thunder
09-01-2017, 11:19 AM
I have a little over 4100 miles Times for tires. These are toast.

EBRRider
09-01-2017, 03:15 PM
That is great! Mike , I am at only 2700. My first tire only lasted 2300 mile and the steel was showing.

Mike
09-02-2017, 12:02 AM
I'm about 35 miles east of L.A. (Covina), between the 10 and 210 freeways.

I have a 9 to 11 day vacation during Christmas, so I take it apart every Christmas to check the valves. First check, nothing needed, second check, one, third check, three needed adjusting. We'll see this year.

Been running pretty hot with this 100+ degree weather. It goes into the "check engine/new engine code"...but seems to run fine. When I shut off the engine, the code disappears. I'm going to remove some anti-freeze this weekend and refill with just water. Anti-freeze doesn't add to any cooling, so hopefully more water will help. I leave a little anti-freeze in to help with the corrosion and pump lube.

Mike

EBRRider
09-02-2017, 07:21 AM
You might want to try Red line Water Wetter, I am using in mine.

Unique agent for cooling systems that doubles the wetting ability of water
Rust and corrosion protection allows for use of straight water in racing or reduced antifreeze levels in warm climates
Improves heat transfer and reduces cylinder head temperature

Nemesis
09-02-2017, 11:10 AM
I'll see what my mech put in mine, it definately made a difference to the stock stuff.

Before it the engine cold light would last around a minute from a dead cold start in average weather, now it takes around five and it runs alot cooler in general
it seems.

Cooter
09-02-2017, 11:26 AM
+1 on Water Wetter. Helped my CR too.

I'll put it in my Karmann Ghia next.:headshake:

Mike
09-02-2017, 12:16 PM
Thanks but I tried Water Wetter in two cars and other bikes sometime back...no thanks.
The FAA also says NO Water Wetter in liquid cool aircraft. Don't recall all the reasons, it's been MANY years since I read the report. I just remember they were adamant about it.

It should work well in the Karmann Ghia though, as long as it's got the original engine..!

Mike

1190SX
09-02-2017, 12:32 PM
Anyone convert over to Engine Ice on their EBR? I did that on some of my other sport bikes.

EBRRider
09-02-2017, 12:51 PM
Thanks but I tried Water Wetter in two cars and other bikes sometime back...no thanks.
The FAA also says NO Water Wetter in liquid cool aircraft. Don't recall all the reasons, it's been MANY years since I read the report. I just remember they were adamant about it.

It should work well in the Karmann Ghia though, as long as it's got the original engine..!

Mike

If you will find out why , I might need to flush my system, If its a good enough reason. Running it in a few of my bikes currently.

1190SX
09-02-2017, 01:09 PM
If you will find out why , I might need to flush my system, If its a good enough reason. Running it in a few of my bikes currently.

I'm sure if it was destroying cooling systems it would probably have that reputation by now. If anything it would have little or no effect on cooling like most of the snake oil additives for your car such as: Marvel Mystery Oil, Sea Foam, Etc. People claim all kinds of crazy things about the additives, but they really don't do all that much. The only one I know is a no no is mixing GM's Dexcool (orange in color) with common green antifreeze. Supposed to turn to sludge in the cooling system, but I've seen it done and it takes a while for that to occur.

1190SX
09-02-2017, 01:13 PM
heres the deal with water wetter. it doesnt work as good as they say it does.

what water wetter does is similar to LAUNDRY SOAP in that it makes water's surface tension lower. this means there is more physical contact with the inside of an engine. it wont make you be able to drop a grade of gas.

it also is NOT an anti-corrosive radiator fluid additive. using water wetter and water alone in an engine will cause bad corrision things to happen over time. you will get as much corrosion and rust as if you wan water alone.

using water wetter in a RACECAR wont be a problem as you will most likely drain and re-fill the cooling system after each race. this ensures that fresh fluid is frequently replaced so that it doesnt have time to become corrosive.

water wetter WONT WORK in normal cars, this is because your cooling system is thermostat controlled, so it doesnt matter how good of a cooling solution you have. your car WILL reach operating tempature or else the thermostat will never open.

now, if your car is overheating water wetter would help, as the thermostat is already open so water wetter can do its thing.

in high performance computing solutions, we use water wetter as a coolant and anti-fungal agent. watercooled computers dont get hot enough to kill bacteria and fingus, so we add waterwetter or a cap full of bleach to do this. water wetter has the nice side effect of lowering operating tempatures as well. this is well documented with thermistor probes accurite to 1/10th of a degree.

using water wetter with a cooling system that is functioning properly and the engine doesnt overheat, will not help one single bit.

whoever said "it allows the use of lower octane gas" does not know what hes talking about.

Found this on the web, seems to know what he's talking about.

Cooter
09-02-2017, 05:32 PM
I'd agree with internet guy above, mostly.
It won't destroy your cooling system, I don't know why the FAA didn't like it, could be as simple as not tested/not approved or possibly flammable or fumes or something we would never have issue with? Dunno, it's an EBR not a Cessna.
Yes it breaks down surface tension, but not at all like laundry soap:headshake:.
I witnesses 'bad corrosion' in my '67 Chevelle (with water only) when the dis-similar metals had their way with it. Aluminum radiator and heads, with an iron block. Flushed and filled with water wetter, added a Zinc anode and no worries after that. I did flush it annually after that.
It won't cure an overheating cooling system.
It won't make a cooling system run colder than the thermostat opening temp It's not even circulating.
Lower Octane gas? wtf.

My trackday CR saw street duty in Florida and I documented a -5 to 7 degree difference in engine temp vs. ambient after using it. I believe Engine Ice is the same thing.

Maybe I'll try it in my XB!