PDA

View Full Version : I need some expertise from closet EBR employees, historian and subject matter experts

mnscrounger
08-23-2017, 01:46 AM
Greetings, I have been on Badweb for about 7 years, but this is my first post as a new member here.
I am the lucky winner of the EBR 1190 SX mockup from the liquidation auction. I haven't done much digging into it. I have a million questions, and I don't expect this forum to be able to answer them all. Hopefully you can point me on to, (or at least help identify), the people who can more accurately document this unusual bike. My primary needs for the time being are to title the bike. Under Minnesota law it would qualify as a "special construction, (which it is),with a statement of facts a safety inspection, and a bill of sale. So first I need to know the year it was assembled.
Here is what I believe/know so far:
The vin #is INF-DDB-02, stamped on both frame and motor, and also handwritten in marker on the front brake rotor. There is a painters tape note on the air box cover saying "SX from Danny B's bay" Could DDB be the initials of an EBR employee responsible for the build? Can anyone shed light on this vin nomenclature? According to the auction description, it's built on an RS frame. It appears to have an RS motor, and has a magnesium subframe, as opposed to the aluminum one on the production SX bikes. The cylinder castings say "EBR" not "Erik Buell Racing", or even"Buell". The sprocket is a 46 tooth (unless I miscounted) as opposed to the standard 41tooth on the production RS. There is a note in marker on the ECM that Shawn at EBR told me when we loaded the bike means a 45 tooth sprocket tune on the ECM.The ECM ( if I recall correctly ) also carries the RS part number. All of this suggests the bike is 100% 1190 RS mechanically. The secondary SX/RX can and pipe finish don't look to ever have been heated. That suggests before running the bike I need to verify the tune in the ECM, or can anyone confirm if it was actually ridden in the configuration it is in now (SX muffler and secondary)?

Since the body work mount points on the RS frame are different from the production SXs. I also need to find out how closely SX production parts match the 3D printed ones on this bike. The left headlight shroud is missing, and before this bike is actually ridden again, I would like to remove the rare 3D printed parts to preserve them. If production pieces would fit, I'll buy them to put on the bike. But if there is a difference between the prototype and production, I could arrange to make 3D printed reproductions for actual use. (Though not on my machine. I work for the US government and it would be an ethics issue. ) There are several Buell enthusisats with 3D printers, and I'd bet they would be happy to help with this project.

Thank you for reading ( I also apologize for the length), and my personal E-mail is morin@mcg.net if closet employees don't want to make their expertise public.