PDA

View Full Version : Streetfighter, Naked, Sport Standard or Ergo-sport. You decide

Jon / AF1 Racing
10-01-2012, 10:35 PM
There are a lot of bikes that have popped into this segment over the past 10 years, whereas the market was essentially void of them during the 90's. The name is a challenge because there really seem to be subsections of the group.

Sport Standard - A standard that has been given some sport features, but essentially started life as a standard.

These were the original sport bikes. Take your standard motorcycle, make it a little faster, put bars a little forward, the pegs a little back, and you have the sport standard.

Kawasaki ZRX would be the best example for this.

Naked - Sportbike converted into a more ergonomically pleasing form.

This was the name assigned to the segment back around 2000 or so. Essentially a sportbike redesigned to run bars rather than clipons, and bodywork all but removed.

Aprilia Tuono, Suzuki Bandit, Earlier Buells like the X1, S1

Streetfighter - Originally a sportbike custom, bodywork removed, clipons retained small headlights with minimal or no fairing, that turn with the bars. Common conversion after a sportbike wreck.

These came about with full faired sportbikes, as a way to keep riding your cosmetically damaged bike, and evolved into a new bike offering. Retains sportbike ergonomics.

Kawasaki Z1000, Ducati Streetfighter, Buell XB's

Ergo-Sport - A combo of the seating comfort of a Naked / Sport Standard but built as a sportbike. Retaining a fixed upper with windscreen, and almost complete bodywork. Usually has a almost identical sport counterpart.

Newer generation Aprilia Tuono, Yamaha FZ1

My choice would be that the EBR 1190SX fall into the ergo-sport category. On the street, I prefer the performance of a sportbike without the discomfort of low clipons and high pegs. Sitting upright allows for better visibility, easier low speed handling, and more long distance comfort. These are bikes you can take to the track, and all you have to do is bend your elbows a bit. I like to call them a gentleman's sportbike.

GyTe
10-02-2012, 04:23 AM
also for that model I hope to see some pictures :)

Lennynero
10-02-2012, 05:37 AM
No so bad if could look something like... the Typhon for example ?? I think it's a good startpoint !! :nut:

ponti1
10-02-2012, 06:31 AM
Looking forward to some additional details on these new models! The suspense is killing me!

Jason
10-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Sweet! the naked segment will have some new tube frame with a super engine :hail:

Torque
10-02-2012, 09:07 AM
I too am hoping for something similar to the Typhon concept.
Of course the radiators and shroud are likely going to be different. The 1190RS radiators are suppose to be unGodly expensive. I hope that they can keep the tail frame, maybe in a less expensive cast alluminum.

Scott
10-02-2012, 10:00 AM
If we're correct that the 1190SX will be the 'naked' version of the 1190RX (which will be the more affordable version of the 1190RS), then I can't imagine it looking much different from the Typhon. You could make a small change here or there, but naked is naked.

Jon / AF1 Racing
10-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Typhoon concept is definitely a sexy bike! I would call it a streetfighter. Guessing the S in SX is for streetfighter, and they aren't calling it the NX...

PeterPiper
10-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Anyone have any idea about the release date of this bike? We've been waiting a long time.

cheez 2158
01-25-2013, 06:56 PM
I heard (all rumor but )late 2013.

GAC
03-27-2013, 11:08 PM
I am growing weary and need something, a sneak peak.... ANYTHING!
I need a repalcement for my lightening. I am loyal but, geez!

patrioteagle
04-10-2013, 12:22 PM
I would like to see an EBR version of the XR1200: shave off 100 lb and add 100 hp.

Scott
04-15-2013, 09:43 AM
I've been hearing mixed things, but it sounds like we will definitely see something by fall - hopefully sooner.

We'll probably see the RX first - and that probably won't look much different than the RS, so no big surprises. I did see an interesting find on another forum a little while back. It looked similar to a Uly but with higher clearance. I'll see if I can find where I saw that.

Scott
04-15-2013, 09:51 AM
Here's what I was talking about. It's probably not the SX - more likely the AX or maybe even a dirt bike . . . and it's very hard to see any details . . . and the final version will probably look very different, but you did say 'anything'. :wink:

It's interesting to compare this to an actual Ulysses, because you can see by the length of the kickstand how there's much more clearance:

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/2008_Buell_Ulysses_XB12XT_4.jpghttp://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/4062/709616.jpg

kikoborrico
10-17-2013, 02:52 AM
Is there show date?