PDA

View Full Version : Caution Regarding Removing the Secondary Resonator from EBR

Hughlysses
05-06-2014, 09:29 AM
Just in case you're thinking about removing the secondary resonator, I thought I'd pass along this "anonymous" post (from someone at EBR) from Badweb:

Guys,

You really need to be aware of the risks "hot-rodding" the EBR 1190RX motor. It is not like starting with an engine making 90HP per liter stock, where mods are easy. This engine comes with 185 crank HP using high CR, sophisticated mapping, and of course it has TC. To that end it is CRITICAL that a precision map be done for any exhaust modifications. For example, if you simply remove the secondary the following happens:

•Spark and fuel are dramatically different everywhere, especially mid-throttle, to the point of being very concerned with engine damage should a customer remove the secondary and continue to use the production calibration. It is kind of the perfect storm, close enough to run sort-of okay, but way too lean and over-advanced so there will be damage.

•Because fuel and spark are dramatically different, the traction control work on the back end of this calibration development to make it work properly is a calibration effort on its own.

We are not trying to discourage tuning, but want people to know that on this engine, it is NOT an easy bolt-on procedure, and the people tuning will need time, expertise and sophisticated tools. Knowing that owners want to take these to the track, EBR will try to get race ECM's out for a few race exhaust options, but we will not have them for many (as it takes weeks on the dyno to get everything right for
each calibration), and it will take time. Obviously the first tunes we will do
will be for race exhaust options that we will have in our catalog.

fabric8
05-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Rode my bike without the secondary a couple times. Sounded better, that's about it. Put the secondary back on and traded in the bike for a new '14 RSV4 Factory APRC. After coming from a 2012 RSV4 Factory APRC which is without question one of the most refined sportbikes on the market the 1190 RX felt raw and unsorted to me. Low rpm fueling was off and the bike had a flat spot at 5000rpm on the expressway. Coupled with some fault codes, rattles in bodywork, so-so clear coat finish and the lack of tunability I made the move back to Aprilia.

Doosh
05-06-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm always suspicious of Anonymous posts on BadWeb, although in this case there appears to be some knowledge backing up the post.

I've always found it amusing when -- just in time -- Anonymous shows up to "tell the real truth" over there. It's been known to be utter BS on more than one occasion.

noone1569
05-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Not surprised you thought there were fueling issues with the secondary off (unless I read that wrong). I have no issues with flat spots on mine, but I do agree that is raw compared to the RSV4, but that gives it character. If I wanted something refined and without character, I'd just get a crossplane R1.

Enjoy your RSV4. They are fantastic bikes. Good friend of mine has one, and I constantly smoke him with the ebr ;)

fabric8
05-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Not surprised you thought there were fueling issues with the secondary off (unless I read that wrong). I have no issues with flat spots on mine, but I do agree that is raw compared to the RSV4, but that gives it character. If I wanted something refined and without character, I'd just get a crossplane R1.

Enjoy your RSV4. They are fantastic bikes. Good friend of mine has one, and I constantly smoke him with the ebr ;)

Fueling issues were with the secondary on. As far as character I find that the RSV4 has much more soul compared to the EBR. Personally I feel that the RSV4 Factory with an Akra Evo 2 exhaust/Race ECU is a better motorcycle for me anyways.

noone1569
05-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Gotcha.

Well, that's the great thing about motorcycles, so many to choose from, one to fit everyone's tastes.

Classax
05-07-2014, 02:30 PM
As far as character I find that the RSV4 has much more soul compared to the EBR. Personally I feel that the RSV4 Factory with an Akra Evo 2 exhaust/Race ECU is a better motorcycle for me anyways.

I don't know if I'd say MORE soul, different yes but not more. RSV4(the bike I would have bought had EBR not been available) with any exhaust feels and sounds like you sitting on a small block V8, great bike! The firing order of the EBR makes it feel more alive than the RSV4 to me. The RSV4 says hey "listen to me I'm a MotoGP bike on the street". It sounds fast, looks fast, feels fast. The EBR is the more the strong silent type. The EBR is a stealth fighter, its just plain old fast.