PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Seat

squidvicious
07-18-2017, 11:06 AM
Hi All:

I am new to the forum but will be scowering threads for advice. I just made the switch from a night rod special to the 1190sx and oh my damn! This thing is a beast. I bought a red one with 4 miles so I am still breaking it in. Any advice on an aftermarket seat? My a$$ is killing me after hour long rides. Anyone tried this out? https://www.luimoto.com/img/products/590-1-2019-l.jpg

MakingPAIN
07-18-2017, 11:21 AM
I think that's just the fabric they are selling you will still need better foam and someone to install it on the seat tray

toxicf16
07-18-2017, 11:22 AM
I believe qurtrn10 bought these and seems to like them. I got mine redone by Stitch Wilson from the FB group. I like them, but if I had to do it again, would only go with a single cover material, as the seams create hot spots during longer rides. I've got an RX

qurtrn10
07-18-2017, 09:23 PM
Being a new bike, once you ride it a bit more, you will become accustomed to the seat - it's much more comfortable than it looks. I put over 2000 miles in one week on a RX with a stock seat and it was fine.

That being said, you have a few options. On the FB Group, you'll find Stitch is recovering them with a thicker foam for extra padding. The seat in the picture is from Luimoto, and that design is setup more for grip for taking curves quickly - not so much comfort. I had Luimoto recover the seat in my SX and have been extremely happy, so they will be getting my RX seat soon. I went with a blue/black pattern to match the bike.

Nemesis
07-18-2017, 09:32 PM
I know the feeling im about to get mine redone on the rx.

SX_Bueller
07-19-2017, 06:10 PM
I heard that Sargent will recover the seat too. Kid Thunder had it done before his unfortunate accident. Hopefully he will chime in and let us know what it is.

Kid Thunder
07-20-2017, 03:28 PM
Here I am. I don't how to post pictures but it looks good with the red/white /blue stripes on the nose. But I am sending it back to be "skimmed" & the nose brought up. The seat pushes you forward toward the tank. I actually bought a salvage stock seat because it more comfortable. I am about to send it back to be modified.

Cooter
07-20-2017, 03:51 PM
The stock seat shoves the 'boys' into the airbox pretty badly too. I'm looking for a furry tank pad:take_it:

oddball
07-20-2017, 07:33 PM
Furry tank pad?
Cooter is going to turn a winged horse into a buffalo. Add some horns too.

That's it!
Tatanka! The new american motorcycle by Lakota Cycles. They could even put a hurting on Indian. "Tatanka, the only true native american motorcycle."

Someone put the reservation in touch with LAP.

Soarer
07-21-2017, 01:08 PM
I bought a few different types of foam from TheFoamFactory.com and I bought some fake suede from JoAnn Fabrics. I'm going to build up my own seat and cover it as soon as it gets too cold to ride here in CT. I'll report back.

Stitch
07-24-2017, 09:00 AM
I think that's just the fabric they are selling you will still need better foam and someone to install it on the seat tray

Correct. Those luimotos are just covers.

Stitch
07-24-2017, 09:10 AM
In addition to recovering and adding gel to the seats, I'm also now selling complete, ready to go seats built on factory pans, with an updated shape based on feedback from customers. Been a lot of requests to bring the front of the seat up a little bit, so our complete seats all have that new shape, along with the gel and upgraded foam.

I'm sorry to hear the seams are uncomfortable. That's always one of my concerns with having seams in a seat, but you're the first I've heard mention it on the EBR seats. They should settle down into the top layer of foam over time. The way I do the seats is a multi-layer, multi-density approach for a mix of comfort and support. The outermost layer of foam will "absorb" the selvage (bulk) from the seams with time. But being in AK, your riding season is probably even shorter than mine, so it might take ya a little while. Usually a couple months of riding gets everything settled down into the foam.

If you want to recover them with the solid covers though, cover the shipping, and the covers and labor are on me.

toxicf16
07-24-2017, 03:46 PM
No worries stitch, I'll get some pics to you as well. I still love the seat, that little issue is the only problem I've found so far. I've done a few 300+ mile days as well. It's bright 24 hours a day, so I spend most days/nights on the bike right now. I'll see about getting that seat broken in yet!

SX_Bueller
07-24-2017, 07:45 PM
Stitch, is this an opportunity your offering for others or is this a personal hobby? I would be willing to get in on the deal of a new re-designed seat.

Stitch
07-25-2017, 08:58 AM
Stitch, is this an opportunity your offering for others or is this a personal hobby? I would be willing to get in on the deal of a new re-designed seat.

This is my full-time job. We even have a shop on main street in our little town. I still need to fiddle with the purchase settings on my website (keeps doubling shipping), so in the meantime, shoot me a message at stitch@customcycleseats.com, and I'd be happy to discuss options with you.

Doug Porcaro
07-25-2017, 02:51 PM
Nice!

Stitch
07-29-2017, 10:47 AM

An all black seat on a customer's bike. Couple angles of the 2tone option. Side by side of our seat vs a stock seat (before being covered).

CMMagnussen
08-05-2017, 03:28 PM
Hi Stitch have you tried building any seats with heat? I was looking into a daylong for my SX/T build but I like the look of your seats.

Stitch
08-05-2017, 09:42 PM
Hi Stitch have you tried building any seats with heat? I was looking into a daylong for my SX/T build but I like the look of your seats.

I could look into it, but I haven't found any elements small enough to fit the shape of these seats yet. I'll do some checking around with my suppliers though!

1190SX
08-05-2017, 10:18 PM

You had me at SX/T. I must know more.

CMMagnussen
08-08-2017, 04:34 AM
https://heatdemon.com/collections/motorcycle/products/seat-heater-kit-single-on-off

That should do it for the seat if you check the instructions it can be trimmed down to lower heat output and wattage taking it down to 9x8 should work for these seats.

As for the SX/T im setting up my SX for a CA to NY run next year mods and future mods as follows.

2" drop pegs (installed)
USB power port (installed)
EBR Handguards (installed)
Wolfman Tank Bag (installed)
NCCR Windscreen (will be installed this weekend)
Rigid flood/driving lamps (will be installed this weekend)
Heated Grips
Heated Touring Seat
Givi Trekker Outback Top and Side Cases
Radiator Guards
Tour friendly tires (The diablos aint friendly)

Still undecided if I will be installing the Highbars, ergos seemed pretty good with just the drop pegs on my 700 mile trip home and it might wreak havoc with my windscreen bracketry

1190SX
08-08-2017, 08:17 AM
Ok cool, post some pictures! Are you using knight design pegs? I found they sort of moved your feet outward resulting in the shifter and brake being inboard somewhat. Solved it with spacers and longer bolts.

Kid Thunder
08-08-2017, 09:54 AM
Yeah I did the same. Much easier to shift now. Had to be pigeon toed!

1190SX
08-08-2017, 10:37 AM
I was considering getting the fixed pegs and putting them in the lowest position to remedy the pigeon toed issue, but I'm not sure how much lower it will be than stock. Anyone know?

Kid Thunder
08-08-2017, 01:24 PM
Yeah I was going to do that too but it doesn't look like it will be much. Instead of straight pegs I was going to use foldable straight pegs.

Cooter
08-11-2017, 01:36 AM
Ya! Pics of the windscreen!

phelan
08-18-2017, 10:45 AM
Pics of the handguards please? I wasn't aware of EBR selling handguards. I did 1500 miles on my SX bringing it home, amd I won't say it was greatly comfortable, but it wasn't uncomfortable. I have since installed Knight design pegs, but in my instance the rear brake lwver was impossible to adjust low enough for proper comfort. I have it lower than stock, but I will eventually be trimming the linkage to properly lower the lever. Still plenty of room to bring back to stock height later if that was my prerogative. I have Acerbis handgaurds on the way for mine, as well as some different levers and grips.

Hughlysses
08-18-2017, 02:24 PM
https://heatdemon.com/collections/motorcycle/products/seat-heater-kit-single-on-off

That should do it for the seat if you check the instructions it can be trimmed down to lower heat output and wattage taking it down to 9x8 should work for these seats.

If the 1190 needs a seat heater, it may well be the FIRST Buell-designed product that does! The under-seat oil tank did a fine job on the tubers, the fan and rear cylinder head handled it on the XB's, and the radiators blowing into the frame and around the engine handled it on the 1125's.

As someone living where the heat index was well over 100 yesterday, I relish the thought of an un-heated seat!

Kid Thunder
08-19-2017, 01:30 PM
Yeah. My Sx is not a bike for really hot days. It feels like it already has a seat heater! Seat does get hot.

EBRRider
08-19-2017, 03:42 PM
Check it out !!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CCS-aftermarket-EBR-1190-seat-Erik-Buell-Racing-/112525102888?hash=item1a3304cf28:g:TdkAAOSwaBNZkIW k&vxp=mtr

1190SX
08-19-2017, 04:05 PM
Check it out !!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CCS-aftermarket-EBR-1190-seat-Erik-Buell-Racing-/112525102888?hash=item1a3304cf28:g:TdkAAOSwaBNZkIW k&vxp=mtr

Nice! I will definitely be picking one up if I get back on the EBR.

EBRRider
08-19-2017, 04:28 PM
Nice! I will definitely be picking one up if I get back on the EBR.

O you will , You have heard before (It's cheaper to keep her ) That goes for a EBR also. LOL :hail:

1190SX
08-19-2017, 04:51 PM
It seems this is the case! I've been trying to trade mine for a tamer bike, but everyone wants to trade me a super bike which I definitely don't need! I just sold two!

Want to add, IMO dropped pegs are good, but a higher seat really helps with ergos.

EBRRider
08-19-2017, 05:54 PM
It seems this is the case! I've been trying to trade mine for a tamer bike, but everyone wants to trade me a super bike which I definitely don't need! I just sold two!

Want to add, IMO dropped pegs are good, but a higher seat really helps with ergos.
And higher bars , Be like the Black Lightning, that didnt happen , or like Erik's personal Bike.

1190SX
08-19-2017, 06:14 PM
Yes, but for me I don't need the higher bars(long arms). The main problem with drop pegs on these bikes is they mess with the controls and don't do much for improved ergos. One of my reasons for trying to trade it. I know the seat will improve the rider comfort.

Stitch
08-20-2017, 08:59 AM
Check it out !!!!

I also have a charcoal/silver set and a black/blue set ready to ship at the moment. Other colors can be done within 24hours.

Stitch
08-20-2017, 09:05 AM

1) making it smaller doesn't change the output, just the area
2) you can't trim them width-wise, only length-wise. The leads run up the sides, and its a carbon mesh connecting them. I do dozens of heaters a year in cagers. These are the same elements, just a little smaller.
3) anything more than about 6" wide wont work long term on the EBR seat, due to shape. The flatter, the better, when it comes to mounting area. I just took apart another torched seat Friday because the OEM element had been stressed too much, and burned a 10x3 hole through the leather.