PDA

View Full Version : Who checks the oil level on the side stand, who checks it on a paddock stand?

1190SX
07-03-2017, 05:37 PM
So whats the verdict? I know the video guide per ebr says fill to middle level(doesn't specify on side stand or upright position), then warm to full operating temp, then let idle for one min, then turn off let sit for one min, then open fill cap and "in an upright position" check the level, but I wanted to check with the masses. How do you do it?

Part of the reason for this question is that overfilling can occur because of the confusion of how to properly check the oil level. Resulting in people adding more than enough oil. Filling with the bike on the paddock stand vs on the side stand can result in a pretty significant difference in oil. This may also be part of the reason dealers and owners have oil coming out the breather line because the over fill.

EBRRider
07-03-2017, 07:22 PM
Wow ! I am the only one so far ??? I am wrong in doing so ?? I have somebody hold the bike in the upright level position and get the oil to the middle of the sight glass.

1190SX
07-03-2017, 07:29 PM
That's why I am asking, thats how I was checking it at the first oil change. I noticed however, if you check it on the side stand, and then in an upright position it reads over the top line or overfilled. But if you do the opposite, and check it in an upright position, it may not even register when on the side stand. I became more aware of this today when I checked it after not riding it for about a month, and noticing there was no oil registering with the bike on the side stand. TO make a long story short, I added some oil to bring it into the proper range while on the side stand. Then I ran the bike and the oil level came up to the top of the sight glass. I decided to drain some oil so it would be in the middle range of the sight glass when on the side stand. If I check it in an upright position it reads at or above the top mark.. This is all confusing to me, because I have always checked my BMW's sight glass on the center stand.

Cooter
07-04-2017, 01:12 PM
The owners manual states "on the side stand". I triple checked because of the same question on my other Buells.

Warning! Opinion!:)
I also put the oil level in the middle of the range, Theres no point in squeezing every drop up to within a CH of the MAX mark...

depechevelle
07-05-2017, 09:49 AM
I have always checked and filled the oil on all of my bikes (in-line and v-twin) with them in a level position and not on the side stand, but then I have never had one spew oil into the airbox while riding and drip all down the engine and onto the bike/floor like I just did on my 1190RX at 211 miles on the odo. The oil is halfway between the bottom and top mark with the bike held level and at the bottom line if on the sidestand - just as it was before it leaked.

Cooter
07-05-2017, 09:02 PM
Every bike is different. I'd follow what the MFG says.

Nick
07-08-2017, 05:06 PM
The owners manual tells you that the only accurate check is the 'Hot Oil Check'. The Cold Check which is on the sidestand is only a safeguard to let you know its safe to go for a ride and bring the bike to operating temps(Not a wide open throttle thrashing, just an easy ride letting her warmup.)

The Hot Check is done with the bike in an upright position(level ground, no race stand. If you have your bike on its sidestand, get on one knee on the sight glass side and pull the bike towards you until its upright. BUT. When you return from your ride, leave the bike on the sidestand for 1 minute idling,switch off, then pull the bike towards you in an upright position and unscrew the filler cap, then read.

You will find this from page 85 onwards. cheers.

Nick
07-08-2017, 05:28 PM
Also, you will find that if you fill anywhere near half or more on the cold check on the sidestand, you will be over filled on the hot check. Mine is under quarter on cold on sidestand to get it right when Hot and if doing cold upright its still well under half. As the manual says' the most accurate is the Hot check.