PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel hits caliper after new tire install

Sparky
06-29-2017, 05:24 PM
I had a new front tire installed at the local multi brand dealer which has put tires on the bike before with no problems but now when I screw in the axle hand tight, the wheel does not turn and I can see the outer half of the caliper rubbing the rotor. It never did this before.

It does not look like anything is bent or damaged. It almost seems like there is about a 1/16" spacer missing between the right wheel bearing and the fork but the parts list does not show any kind of spacer except for the one that goes between the wheel bearings.

What could be the problem? Has this happened to anyone else?

buell-fan
06-29-2017, 05:31 PM
There is a small spacer on one side of the axle. (Not positive on side without looking) Is it present, but on the other side?

Sparky
06-29-2017, 06:36 PM
OK, after talking with Jacob of Moto Enthusiasts (http://motoenthusiasts.com/) shop, he says that there is a spacer on the axle on the brake side. With hopes up I went back to the service dept, told the svc mgr what to look for and he came back saying he didn't find anything like that around the tire changer. I said could I look and he said OK. I found the spacer on the balancing machine. Whew!

Thanks for the reply, buell-fan.

Sparky
06-29-2017, 09:53 PM
Sorry for raising a flag here. I'm mistaken re: spacer not in parts list. It is shown on the page with the front axle.

So, the moral of this story is: look for that spacer and remove it before taking your wheel to your friendly tire changer.:burnout:

rotor
11-20-2018, 01:43 PM
is it a spacer on both sides or only on the caliper side ? how is the part number for this thing plz ?

EBRRider
11-20-2018, 03:05 PM
is it a spacer on both sides or only on the caliper side ? how is the part number for this thing plz ?

http://www.erikbuellracing.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/1190-RX-SX-CHASSIS-PARTS-BOOK.pdf

Kid Thunder
11-22-2018, 12:30 AM
I did the same thing. The spacer is on the wrong of the wheel!! Easy to do.