PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out coming to a stop

Subarubrat
06-28-2017, 11:16 AM
I am not superstitious but I swear every time I read about someone else having a problem with their bike I think "mine hasn't done that" and a few days later it does. A few weeks ago I saw someone mention that their starter died, then mine did. It was an easy fix, disassemble, clean, seal, assemble. And a few days ago I saw a post where a fellow said he hadn't had any problems other than it cutting out and dying while coming to a stop. After 2,400 miles over 4 months of not doing that, yesterday mine did that 3 times in one day. The first time happened while cold, the other two after it was well warmed up. Just rolling to a stop and poof, it cuts out.

I can't think of anything that has changed or that I changed that could explain it suddenly picking up this habit. The exhaust and ECU were done at 50 miles and the 44t sprocket with just a few hundred miles so it has been in this configuration for most of the time. Has a common root cause been identified or is it still a ghost cause?

qurtrn10
06-28-2017, 11:39 AM
It's just that phantom that pops up every here and there. Mine did it a few times when new, and then a few other times since. No rhyme or reason. Sometimes it's been cold, sometimes it's been hot.

1190SX
06-28-2017, 11:45 AM
I think they all do it. If it hasn't happened to you yet it will. Sometimes they randomly shutoff rolling to a stop. Never happens under throttle or at speed. Only when idling to a stop with the clutch in. I think the Rpms dip too low. Needs to be changed in the ECM probably

d_adams
06-28-2017, 04:35 PM
Check the fuel pump connector next to the battery.

Kid Thunder
06-28-2017, 09:20 PM
Yeah, it happened to me a few times. Doesn't seem to be able to duplicate.I first time it did it I was in a bad position. Almost fell. Whew!

Mike
07-03-2017, 12:51 PM
Mine's done it for a long time. I just got used to holding the throttle back a little when coming to a stop...easy.
Then one day I didn't hold the throttle back, and the engine didn't even try to shut down..!? Hasn't shut down in a several hundred miles now.

This is with the aftermarket ECM.

Mike

EBRRider
07-03-2017, 01:11 PM
I have 1800 miles , running Deans tune ,knock on wood has never happened to me. When I had a bad pump connection, 3 times it would not start and had the low pressure code.

1190SX
07-03-2017, 01:56 PM
Sounds like most of us have had this intermittent random issue. I think it is a separate issue from the fuel pump connection from the accounts I have heard. I have heard many with the fuel pump connection problem report engine dying even while under load at freeway speeds. This problem seems to only occur at or near idle when coming to a stop. I think I have had it happen maybe 4 or 5 times in 1300 miles, both with Exhaust and race ecm and without.

Cooter
07-04-2017, 01:18 PM
It's happened to me only twice. BOTH times there was a chick on the back. Like THATS not embarrassing:(

I understand the passenger on a bike like this is a total after-thought, but the SX is the worst bike to put a pillion on that I've ever owned. I came home and took the peg mounts off, lol.

MakingPAIN
07-06-2017, 03:03 PM
I had mine pop and cut out while leaving my house all warmed up. I just rolled on the throttle just enough to get down the curb with out to much speed, and once I started to roll back on it does it and I almost layed it down in my neighbors driveway lol:dumbass: