PDA

View Full Version : Crazy rattle and flopping chain

mk2mike
06-17-2017, 11:24 PM
So I picked up a used SX.
I have put about 300 miles on the bike and have noticed I had tons of vibrations under load at varying rpms along with a metallic rattle at times.

Bike has 6500 miles, before purchasing it the previous owner installed a new steel rear sprocket (44t) and new did 520 chain (no tight links)

I found the rattle to be coming from my chain, at certain times under load the chain is literally flopping ALL over the place (top portion of chain), smacking the swing arm. Also the chain guide is very worn.

The chain is tensioned to 25-30mm free play, axle straight.

I do have idler whine.

What in the world can cause sooooooo much movement in the chain?!
it seems to be under moderate load only.

I may put a GoPro on the swing arm to show the movement, it scares me!

also where can I find replacement guides?

1190SX
06-17-2017, 11:28 PM
Excessive movement indicates improper chain adjustment to me. I would go ahead and recheck it and make sure you are checking free play correctly. Take a picture of your method of checking free play. As far as the other rattles and vibrations, my bike has chatters, vibrations and rattles as well. Just small annoyances really, didn't notice them after I put Deans exhaust on.

mk2mike
06-18-2017, 02:51 PM
Basically any and all vibration I feel that is abnormal is chain related.
While accelerating I look down at the chain and it's ALL over the place.

I will post up a couple pictures on measurements here in a bit

1190SX
06-18-2017, 03:59 PM
I think another member reported the same issues a while ago, I'll search for it.

EBRRider
06-18-2017, 04:56 PM
Have you watched any other EBRs to see if there chains are moving in the same movement ? :smirk: Or possibly ridden another EBR to know that yours has a issue???? :wave::wave:

1190SX
06-18-2017, 04:59 PM
If I get out on mine I'll mount up the GoPro.

EBRRider
06-18-2017, 05:35 PM
I think another member reported the same issues a while ago, I'll search for it.

This might be it . http://ebrforum.com/showthread.php?271-Lets-Talk-Chain-and-Sprockets

Soarer
06-20-2017, 10:08 AM
You can get a replacement chain guide from EBR. They are still selling parts. I suggest you grab one quick. Also, inspect your chain and sprockets very closely. They may be damaged. You may have a bad link of someone may have incorrectly installed it or screwed up the master link.

Also, check your rear wheel alignment. Also check that your rear axle nut is torqued correctly.

Be sure to measure your chain slack from the top of the guide (yours sounds like it's been eaten away so you won't get an accurate measurement) to the bottom of the link. If you're running a 44t sprocket, you should be set at 27mm of slack.

Post some pics too!

d_adams
06-20-2017, 11:59 AM
Set it at 3/4" total movement from slack to tight with 30 lbs of pull upward tension. Use a fish scale. You should get mild whine on decel, but none on acceleration. The chain will move around no matter what, but I checked mine as it was set from the factory, along with actually checking Erik's personal SX a couple of weeks ago and they're set the same. You'd think it was way too tight, it's not.

Anything over 25 mm slack will eat into the slider and eventually the swingarm. I've done it.

EBRRider
06-25-2017, 07:51 AM
Set it at 3/4" total movement from slack to tight with 30 lbs of pull upward tension. Use a fish scale. You should get mild whine on decel, but none on acceleration. The chain will move around no matter what, but I checked mine as it was set from the factory, along with actually checking Erik's personal SX a couple of weeks ago and they're set the same. You'd think it was way too tight, it's not.

Anything over 25 mm slack will eat into the slider and eventually the swingarm. I've done it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzcEPqErSNw

Kid Thunder
06-25-2017, 01:36 PM
ThanksEBRRider. The was the most useful info on chain tightness. There has been so much bulls..t about it that seeing is understanding!!

EBRRider
06-25-2017, 02:01 PM
ThanksEBRRider. The was the most useful info on chain tightness. There has been so much bulls..t about it that seeing is understanding!!

Dean, deserves the thanks. But I will take it. LOL

d_adams
06-25-2017, 08:21 PM
Yeah, that was me in the video. Hope it helps some other guys out with setting the correct tension.

Kid Thunder
06-25-2017, 10:31 PM
Thanks Dean!!