PDA

View Full Version : Honestly, is it dumb to buy an EBR now?

ManofManyGTs
06-17-2017, 02:26 PM
Hello all. So far great info on this forum!

So I really like EBRs and think they are very neat bikes. I found a "new" 2015 SX for $8k about 3 hours away. Now that prices are so low I am truly considering trading in my Aprilia. This would be my only bike for the next couple of years and am just concerned about the no dealer/manufacturer support since EBR went tits up again.

Im pretty mechanically inclined and do most of the work on my cars and bikes. And it seems like the EBRs have a decent on board diagnostics platform that doesn't require special tools...

So here is my ponderation..... is it just plain dumb to buy one now, or is owning and working on one all by myself actually doable? Realistically how available will parts be? Are EBRs reasonably reliable bikes (hopefully more so then my Aprilia has been)? Are there good repair manuals or tech data available for consumers? Special tools required? Other thoughts?

Any advice would be much appreciated! :cheers:

Hughlysses
06-17-2017, 03:54 PM
I've been pondering that thought heavily since the January announcement. I retired in January, and had planned to buy an EBR ASAP as my retirement present. Buying the EBR had to wait until we could move and sell our old house. I had my finger hovering over the "put your deposit on a Black Lightning now" button on New Year's Eve 2016, but figured I better wait until the house sale was completed. It's taken longer than expected to work that out (should close in a couple of weeks), so that was good thinking on my part. I'm finally ALMOST ready to drop $$ on a new bike.

During the initial shutdown after EBR went into receivership in 2015 (?), parts were scarce for a while but eventually they started flowing again and I think most people managed to keep their bikes running. People are already sourcing alternatives for things like fuel pumps and trying to re-engineer things like the front sprocket/compensator assembly which has been a high wear item for some riders.

The spare parts situation is kind of a big question mark right now. LAP has listed $15M worth of EBR parts for sale, but as people have dug into the list the wear items that people consistently need to keep these bikes running seem to be missing. I'd guess these parts are still available and that LAP just isn't "liquidating" these high demand parts, but it'd be really nice to know what kind of quantities they have on hand. Do they have enough of these parts to support these bikes for ~10 years, or are some critical items already down to single digit quantities? I'm pretty sure mechanically inclined people will be able to keep these bikes running no matter what, but obviously it'll be more difficult and more expensive if off-the-shelf parts aren't readily available.

The 2015-up bikes seem to be pretty reliable. Some of the 2014 bikes suffered some issues (low fuel light problems, faulty display units, etc.). The 2015-up bikes seem to be pretty much free of these issues. The one consistent thing I've seen that can be an issue is chain adjustment. If you don't keep the chain adjusted properly (which is tighter than most bikes), it can chew through the swingarm protector and into the swingarm pretty quickly. That's just a maintenance issue to be aware of. Otherwise, they seem to be reasonably bullet proof and easy to work on. Service manuals were originally provided on a thumb drive; I'm not sure what the current situation is with those. The only special tool I know that's pretty much mandatory is if you have to remove the stator. There's a crankshaft locking tool that's needed but they are available and I think people have loaned them around to save cost.

I'm still on the fence about buying an EBR. I'm kind of leaning towards getting one of the 2017 models in the hope of having every possible niggle worked out of it and maybe I'd get a little better parts support since it'll come from a currently active EBR dealer. It'd cost a couple of grand more than a left over 2015 model, plus shipping (or I could do a fly-and-ride), so I'm not sure it's worth the additional expense.

All that said, there's no other bike out there that interests me right now so I have a feeling it's going to be an EBR for me. Otherwise I'll keep riding my old Ulysses for a few more years and hope Erik turns up somewhere else or Indian follows through on their promise to "branch out into other markets" with their motorcycle line.

1190SX
06-17-2017, 04:42 PM
I have one, so I'll put in my .02 cents. If reliability and parts support is very important to you(read: everyone), and I'm sure I'll offend some folks saying this, but this probably isn't the 'best' bike to choose. Even if the parts do exist, the fact that the company is being liquidated and the ordering process isn't always clear, definitely makes it a less serviceable bike. That being said at 7k or 8k which a lot of them seem to be going for, they are a lot of bike for the money. I haven't had any major issues with mine, other than it turning off when rolling to stop signs once in a while. I had the mindset going into the purchase that there would be no warranty, no parts support, and no tech support. I advise anyone considering buying one to do the same. I've rebuilt bikes myself before, you can usually get what you need, you just have to search a little harder. You're probably wondering why I bought one knowing all this, and I'd have to say the fact that it is the American made Superbike sold me. I think a lot of guys who are die hard Buell fans bought it for that reason. I already had other bikes, but I'm a patriotic person and like to support America whenever I can.

SO to answer your question. Is it dumb to buy one now?

I wouldn't say its dumb, but depending on your criteria, there could be better bikes to buy. I'm getting more into other types of bikes, was into race replicas, figured I'd try some street fighters because I was over the race replica ergos, and then the EBR came out and it was a street fighter and Made in the USA? I'm sold. I have a few bikes, but now I mainly ride my BMW GS. 'Old man bike'. <--Also gets less looks from the police than the race bikes. But if you really let other people's opinions dictate what you ride, you probably only have a bike to take it down the street to starbucks for cars n coffee on Saturday's anyway. Like the cool Ducati guys that still have the nubs on the tires:cool:

BTW, the EBR is a blast to ride. I wish they finished the AX! Maybe I'll turn my SX in an AX!

Subarubrat
06-17-2017, 06:11 PM
The above post is nearly word for word my thoughts on the matter. And as time passes the bike will get rarer and the cool factor will go up, in my opinion it will become a VERY sought after bike that gets a "Wow, you have one!" when you take it out. I would absolutely make the same decision to buy again and would suggest to anyone interested to get one now while you can because I really believe in a few years people will speak about that time when they could be found and how little they sold for.

Cooter
06-20-2017, 12:57 AM
I you're the type to take your bike to the dealer because it sat for 6 months and the battery went flat, go spend $20k on a Ducati like everyone else.

If you have the slightest perception of how a gas engine works and what a test light is for, then go get the deal of the century on a rare, original, American made super bike. Today.
:nut:

EBRRider
06-20-2017, 07:26 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This guy knows his Sh*T, Right on Cooter !!!!!deal of the century on a rare, original, American made super bike.
:badass::badass::badass::badass::badass::badass:

White SX
06-20-2017, 08:28 AM
First of I don't think it's dumb to buy one just go into it with open eyes.
They are an incredible American made motorcycle. For what they are selling for these days you're getting a whole lot of motorcycle for your money.
Thinking there are going to be challenges ahead. Can you count on parts being available? Either factory or aftermarket, I wouldn't count on it. Maintenance parts sure. Wrecked bike parts sure. There has been so much wrong information put out there by LAP I'm not counting on anything. Ten years parts supply, not holding my breath. If you have it insured and lay it down it will more than likely be totaled. That seems to be the way the insurance companies are handling it. This might be true with any other equivalent bike also.
On the collectible aspect we will just have to see how it all plays out. I owned a 2000 X-1 Millenium numbered and signed model thinking it would have good collector value. Just never happened as book value now is around $1500.00. Buell's have a small and unique market. Not everyone feels the same about them.
Really love my 1190SX. It's the most incredible motorcycle I've ever owned. Been riding motorcycles for over fifty years and ridden quite a wide variety of bikes. This one is the one for me and will ride for a long time enjoying every minute.

MakingPAIN
06-20-2017, 12:04 PM
I bought mine right when they went under knowing there would be limited parts, no service techs, other than us guys on the forum and I would do it again. I am a buell nerd so to me it was a no brainer. Like these other members say if you can turn a wrench and use the problem solving part of your brain you will have no problems.. I have almost 3k miles on mine and not one hiccup. I have had honda sport bikes and suzuki and kawi stuff..this bike tops them by far. It is quarky and not super refined but that is why it makes it so cool.. a small number of engineers and mechanics built this bike in a smaller shop than where I work. That is fvcking badass to me.

MakingPAIN
06-20-2017, 12:07 PM
And here is a good question....... does anyone even know many of these Bikes were produced??? From what I see the number should be around 2000 world wide and that's on the high end.

Cooter
06-20-2017, 07:26 PM
If you're considering buying a motorcycle (any motorcycle) for it's 'investment' or 're-sale value'...

You are doing it wrong:)

golfman1966
06-20-2017, 10:56 PM
I've owned my 2014 for almost two years now. Aside from an initial learning curve regarding maintenance and a failed dash, it has been completely reliable and a joy to own. Like everyone else here, I'm a bit confused about what LAP is planning to do with the parts inventory they have on hand, but I'm fairly confident that with a bit of ingenuity and patience I'll be able to keep the bike on the road for years to come.

The biggest plus to me is how comfortable the machine is compared to other sportbikes. I have ridden it 600 miles and didn't end the day feeling like I had been subjected to a two-wheeled torture chamber. It's a bit rough around the edges, and can be a bit touchy, but of my five bikes, it's the one I ride the most, and by choice.

Is it "stupid" to buy one? I'd say no. Is it risky? Perhaps. But given the price you can buy two and keep one for parts and still spend less than what you'd spend on a single superbike from an established manufacturer. If it comes to it, I'll buy another one myself and keep it for spare parts.

ManofManyGTs
06-23-2017, 10:03 PM
Thanks for all the insight! Lots of good info on this forum. I think I wil be looking at it on Wednesday.

depechevelle
06-25-2017, 09:50 PM
Are you referring to the eBay listings in Newnan, Georgia? One white SX and one red SX? If so, I saw them on Friday. They are legit. They are 2014's though, even though they were listed as 2015's in the ad. The listings ended yesterday, and the white one looks like it may have sold but I'm not sure. They have certificates of origin only, no titles yet. Not sure how difficult it might be to get one in SC.

ManofManyGTs
06-26-2017, 07:17 PM
Actually was looking the the two red 2015s that were at Southeast Motorcycles in Savannah (listed in cycletrader and their website). Called today and both are gone :( I was very serious about one but I guess I'm too late. None are listed in a reasonable distance for me and I don't want to buy with out sitting on one and hopefully riding one. Bummer.

1190SX
06-26-2017, 08:33 PM
Mine is for sale and I'll let you sit on it before you buy. I'll even let you test ride it, you can take her up to full speed if you desire. :AR15firing:

Tell you what, you buy it and I'll ship it to you. If you decide you don't want it after riding it, I'll give you a refund and pay return shipping:cheers:. Thats how confident I am you will keep it. She's a looker

ManofManyGTs
06-26-2017, 09:05 PM
Dang! Well I have to sell or trade my Capo first: https://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/6171147778.html
:wink::wink::wink:

depechevelle
06-26-2017, 09:23 PM
The guy in Newnan might trade you his new SX for your Capo, he has a Futura and another Aprilia already and really likes them. I may be giving him a call soon, I can check on it if you want. It might be worth your drive to buy his.

1190SX
06-26-2017, 09:57 PM
Dang! Well I have to sell or trade my Capo first: https://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/6171147778.html
:wink::wink::wink:

Thats my kind of bike! I prefer the adventure, sport touring bikes now days! I mostly ride my GS.

Hughlysses
06-27-2017, 03:28 AM
Actually was looking the the two red 2015s that were at Southeast Motorcycles in Savannah (listed in cycletrader and their website). Called today and both are gone :( I was very serious about one but I guess I'm too late. None are listed in a reasonable distance for me and I don't want to buy with out sitting on one and hopefully riding one. Bummer.

Man, I've been watching those for months, and they're STILL listed. That makes me wonder how many of the EBR's listed on Cycle Trader are really still available.

EBRRider
06-27-2017, 07:22 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Buell-E...RYd8A4&vxp=mtr (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Buell-EBR-/172750690669?hash=item2838be596d:g:sLQAAOSwZQRYd8A 4&vxp=mtr)

Item specifics
Condition: New Year: 2015
Mileage: 750 Exterior Color: Red
Make: Buell Engine Size (cc): 1,190
Model:
EBR
Warranty: Vehicle does NOT have an existing warranty
Sub Model (Optional): 1190SX Vehicle Title: Clear
For Sale By: Dealer

MakingPAIN
06-27-2017, 07:44 AM
Southwest Superbikes has two 2017 sx for sale.. not near you but he shipped mine for 200 bucks to my door. Really good guy to work with, honest all the way through the deal..

1190SX
06-27-2017, 08:36 AM
How far did you ship it for $200? Like 500 miles?

EBRRider
06-27-2017, 08:54 AM
How far did you ship it for $200? Like 500 miles?

From TX to AZ is not to far.

MakingPAIN
06-27-2017, 09:35 AM
Dallas Texas to phoenix az.. took almost 3 weeks but the price was right.. didn't even see them unload it, I walked outside and a guy was walking my beautiful new bike up to me at my front door like I was Rockefeller lolll

ManofManyGTs
06-27-2017, 01:57 PM
The guy in Newnan might trade you his new SX for your Capo, he has a Futura and another Aprilia already and really likes them. I may be giving him a call soon, I can check on it if you want. It might be worth your drive to buy his.

Yeah let let him know if you don't mind. Anyone interested in my capo (buy or trade) can call or text me at 803- two 3 o - zero 9 6 five.
thanks!!

mike11
06-28-2017, 09:19 AM
I bought the white SX from the guy in Newnan GA picked it up sunday he still has a the red SX for $7000 I don't know how you can go wrong at that price.

1190SX
06-28-2017, 10:09 AM
You can't

MakingPAIN
06-28-2017, 10:49 AM
Nope 7000 is the best I have seen.. ****tt I might buy it for a parts bike lol I thought I got a good deal

1190SX
06-28-2017, 11:56 AM
Yeah, that's the best deal I've heard of.

Hughlysses
06-28-2017, 12:08 PM
So, 17 2014/2015 (tel:17 2014/2015) (pre-receivership) SX's are currently listed on Cycle Trader: https://www.cycletrader.com/search-results?sort=distance%3Aasc&radius=any&page=1&year=2014%3A2015&make=ERIK%20BUELL%20RACING%7C765322960&model=1190%20SX%7C764950006&

but we know the two in Savannah are already sold.

There are 16 2016/2017 (tel:16 2016/2017) (post-receivership) SX's listed: https://www.cycletrader.com/search-results?sort=distance%3Aasc&radius=any&page=1&year=2016%3A2017&make=ERIK%20BUELL%20RACING%7C765322960&model=1190%20SX%7C764950006&

I wonder how many of these are still available?

1190SX
06-28-2017, 01:23 PM
Good question. Those ads only run for a certain number of days. I'm sure there are a few still left. Mine is still for sale. I have sold a few bikes over the years, and the main hurdle in selling these bikes is the same problems it's always been, most people have no idea what it is and aren't looking for it.

depechevelle
06-28-2017, 10:05 PM
Since the ads run out after so many days, some sellers don't delete them once they sell the unit but rather just let it expire later. Who knows how many though.

rb21
06-28-2017, 10:44 PM
I know that Action Power sports still had a handful of SXs on their showroom floor on Saturday.

Bruiser
06-29-2017, 12:47 PM
The red and black bikes listed on Action PS are gone, I purchased the red one and a guy had just bought the black one before I could get it. Not sure if they still have a silver or yellow one, though

MakingPAIN
06-29-2017, 02:22 PM
So now that EBR is dead now we all go buy one... sheeesh how American of all of us lol

Hughlysses
06-29-2017, 02:40 PM
We're down to 13 2016/2017 SX's and 16 2014/2015 SX's on Cycle Trader as of today.

1190SX
06-29-2017, 03:39 PM
The white and blue SXs on eBay are ending in 1 hour

1190SX
06-29-2017, 04:20 PM
Four currently listed on eBay
http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ebr&isNewKw=1&_sacat=6024&cnm=Motorcycles&mfs=KWCLK&acimp=0&_trksid=p2056116.m2428.l2632.R1.TR11.TRC2.Xebr&sqp=ebr

1190SX
06-29-2017, 04:22 PM
So now that EBR is dead now we all go buy one... sheeesh how American of all of us lol

We all want what we can't have. As soon as something becomes unobtainable it is worth more.

1190SX
06-29-2017, 07:28 PM
Good buy if it stays around that price http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Buell-EBR-/172750690669?hash=item2838be596d:g:sLQAAOSwZQRYd8A 4&vxp=mtr

http://i68.tinypic.com/2wlyr8m.png

ManofManyGTs
06-29-2017, 08:17 PM
We all want what we can't have. As soon as something becomes unobtainable it is worth more.
I think it's more that the price makes them more attractive.

1190SX
06-29-2017, 08:24 PM
For now maybe. Once availability goes down to 2 or 3 in the country, I bet dollars to donuts prices go up.

MakingPAIN
06-29-2017, 09:05 PM
Oh yeah they probably will. But all those low production number buell xb bikes are still at rock bottom.. I know it's different because harley motor vs cool motor. I just don't think there is a demand. Look at hodaka no one wants them. Maico very expensive but no one wants them, can't find parts. And all other obscure bikes that were lost at the hands of time. This might be these Bikes case

MakingPAIN
06-29-2017, 09:06 PM
And my comparison is a little off those manufacturers are a bit older but, you know...

1190SX
06-29-2017, 09:49 PM
All good points. We'll see what happens, I believe you are correct that as time progresses they will depreciate like any bike, but I think there will be a peak for sales within the next 1-6 months

oddball
06-30-2017, 01:54 AM
Seems to me Motorcycle.com's review vids may have given sales a boost. Even though they said it wasn't much competition to their top picks they state the 10K and under pricing now which will attract value shoppers (penny pinchers). I've been rather surprised with the upturn in sales. I've watched the leftovers for a couple years now.

1190SX
06-30-2017, 08:25 AM
Seems to me Motorcycle.com's review vids may have given sales a boost. Even though they said it wasn't much competition to their top picks they state the 10K and under pricing now which will attract value shoppers (penny pinchers). I've been rather surprised with the upturn in sales. I've watched the leftovers for a couple years now.

You are probably right. I had a few people ask about it after seeing the comparison.

MakingPAIN
06-30-2017, 09:46 AM
I have been watching those guys review bikes for years.. they are not truthful on their reviews in any way.. they have sponsors and bosses like us. Anytime someone brings up the EBR one guy will shoot the hell out of it with some retard nonsense about electronics or some stupid shyt about the front brake. I think those dudes only promote a bike if they are getting funding from the manufacture. They are shills... And the main dude is a azzhole always going off on his b.s. rants about his personal riding capability

MakingPAIN
06-30-2017, 10:06 AM
They EBR should be pinned up against Ducati 1000 cc bikes and and any other v twin machine apples to apples. And it's funny they have never once said," hey people this bike is made here in America by a small team and they are going up against the big dogs.." And the last review they were splooging all over the new cbr like it was a God send.. then you see the pit crew and all the personnel out at the track.. That all takes big money, wonder who pays for all that??

oddball
06-30-2017, 10:17 AM
I wonder if, just like taking anything the news says with a grain of salt, people don't take anything 'reviewers' say as gospel anymore. I stopped subscriptions to all magazines over a decade ago. I watch youtube 'reviews' of products from people who never say a bad word and from others who make it their job to be as hard as they can on things.

ManofManyGTs
06-30-2017, 10:31 AM
I have been watching those guys review bikes for years.. they are not truthful on their reviews in any way.. they have sponsors and bosses like us. Anytime someone brings up the EBR one guy will shoot the hell out of it with some retard nonsense about electronics or some stupid shyt about the front brake. I think those dudes only promote a bike if they are getting funding from the manufacture. They are shills... And the main dude is a azzhole always going off on his b.s. rants about his personal riding capability

This is pretty much the story with every major mag now. I subscribe to cycle news but the only bike mag that is halfway decent (and somewhat unbiased, relatively speaking) in my opinion is Fast Bikes out of Europe. I've love watching BJ's video blog on his long term FZ 10. Very down to earth, regular guy comments. Then you have the individual reviewers on YouTube. The only one that i found is any good is Lamb Chop just because he's a hoot to watch.